IGNORED

Gyruss for the Atari 7800?

HawkMines

Incredibly cheesy, yes. This is like arguing that Space Invaders should have used a paddle controller. Time Pilot was designed and balanced around the player ship having a constant movement speed. Being able to scoot around the perimeter as fast as you like completely throws off the difficulty.

I would actually like to play Space Invaders with a Paddle. And when I have a 5200 joystick modded to a Paddle, I'll definitely do so. Shame the 5200 version of the game is its own beast.

According to [disclaimer] Wikipedia, the arcade original had 2 Z80s, a Motorola 6809, the Intel 8309 managing the audio chips, 5 AY-3-8910 chips and 1 DAC. That's pretty hardcore for a 1983 arcade game. The same programmer who created the game also create Time Pilot which is yet another game some fans would like to play with a spinner.

Okay, we get it, you like to cheat at games by radically changing the control scheme.

No, I enjoy improving games by enabling the controllers that optimize the game play.

I'm definitely not the only one who'd like to play Gyruss with a spinner or Space Invaders with a Paddle. I also enjoy playing 5200 Tempest & Galaxian with the Trak-Ball.

No, I enjoy improving games by enabling the controllers that optimize the game play.

"Optimizing the gameplay" is meaningless nonsense. If you're enabling the player to move faster than the game was designed around, you're cheating, full stop. Don't try to weasel-word your way out of it.

"Optimizing the gameplay" is meaningless nonsense. If you're enabling the player to move faster than the game was designed around, you're cheating, full stop. Don't try to weasel-word your way out of it.

Who died and made you sheriff of classic gaming?

Since native Trak-Ball mode wasn't included in 2600 or 7800 Centipede, is it cheating to hack them to support such controllers? Under your definition it is. Yet lots of fans want to have that controller enabled. Or enabling the Driving Controller for use with 2600 Asteroids. Or converting 5200 joysticks into Paddles to better enjoy Super Breakout, Pole Position, or Castle Crisis. I guess that makes Dan Kramer and Gary Rubio of the Atari Inc Consumer Engineering also cheats because they customized those controllers back in the day even though management deemed that Paddles shouldn't be released since the games were designed with the standard joysticks in mind. Good going there, Chachie.

I don't need a spinner to kick ass on arcade Gyruss. Yet I'd still like to try it with one because the game is obviously influenced by Tempest which does use a spinner in the arcade. The same goes for the home ports.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 2

From what i've read it's 4 at least. Two for the sound effects, one for purcussion, and one for Tocatta and Fugue in D minor.

Release it in a custom extra tall custom 7800 cart with trackball support (X-axis or 360 selectable modes) 4 Hokey chips for Bach and TIA for sound effects! :lust:

NES version used a wonky dpad configuration that ends up only moving the ship towards cardinal directions. Option B fixes this and uses only right and left to steer kind of Tempest style. Controls are backwards on top but clockwise/counterclockwise is far better than North/South/East/West. A trackball is essentially two spinners on perpendicular axes so it could simply ignore the Y axis inputs if programmed to utilize it.

Gyruss for 7800 would be great and the support of native Trakball mode even more :) don't forget the PAL release...

I played it in the arcade with the stick (at least I believe the cabinet had a stick) and on my C64 some months later but did it not like it that much as in arcade due to cheap joystick I could afford to buy at age of 14... but I remember the SID sound was great ;-)

As many other games currently being hacked to support Trakball, this one could get difficulty fine tuning.

Trakball control should feel right for this type of game but it would have to support joystick too, as many might want to stick with original control or do not own a Trakball (mouse control will fail on this game very badly).

Anyway, no matter with what kind of control, it would be a great game for the 7800

• Like 1

Please pardon the threadjack, but...

By the way, the version of Toccata and Fuge in Dm they programmed sounds very much like this one:

How have I not heard of this band before? This arrangement is awesome! And the drummer is a hoot. It's like he's thinking, "Gosh, I can actually play!"

• Like 1

If Gyruss was ported to the 7800 I would buy it. I wouldn't be too excited about it because I already have it on the 2600, 5200, ColecoVision and NES.

I asked Bob if he would be interested in making a translation of Tazz-Mania which to my knowledge hasn't been ported to any system. It's a fun game and I know Bob would do a great job with it and people would love it. But, I also understand he's free to do whatever he pleases.

If you're not familiar with Tazz-Mania, I do a game play of it in this video just skip ahead to the 48:13 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBj3tTD-2xQ

Reminds me of Robotron.

While I wouldn't mind Gyruss for the 7800, it's not a high-priority game for me to see, either. It doesn't really offer much more than other shooters and isn't one of those 'sorely missed' titles (like Gorf or Phoenix) from that genre. And it also doesn't fill any 'missing niches' like Defender or Missile Command. There are definitely a lot of other titles I would prefer to see ported over first.

Looks like a cross between Galaga and Tempest.

I was never crazy about this game (although I do like both Galaga and Tempest separately) so I don't think I'll be tackling this - sorry guys :(

So, you'll be tackling Tempest instead? :)

That zombie game of yours looked really cool, btw. :)

@Lynxpro - thank you :)

Yeah... My 'unfinished' list has grown again:

ReZolve

Defender

Dark Tower

Ms. Pac-Man Twin (this unfortunately will stay this way until all of the game roms are dumped)

Battlezone (although I think this one's going away)

(Sorry for the thread derail)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

Yeah... My 'unfinished' list has grown again:

ReZolve

Defender

Dark Tower

Ms. Pac-Man Twin (this unfortunately will stay this way until all of the game roms are dumped)

Battlezone (although I think this one's going away)

Defender and Battlezone for the 7800 sound great, although i'd prefer Gyruss myself. I'm looking forward to seeing what Battlezone looks like as it sounds as if it's in the finishing stages. ;-)

On the topic of Gyruss, there are a couple other people that have programmed 7800 games (at least from what I can find in the AtariAge store) to completion. Maybe one of them would enjoy making a Gyruss port.

• Like 2

According to the MAME source, Gyruss has 5 PSGs and 1 SFX channel controlled by an 8039. Out of those, 2 PSG's are audible on the left and 2 on the right channel, with the 5th one going to both. And they definitely use more than 1 PSG for the music since 1 PSG has only 3 voices, but what's played clearly has more than 3 voices... I'd guess at least 6.

By the way, the version of Toccata and Fuge in Dm they programmed sounds very much like this one:

The EQ is very messed up in that video. Bass way too low, treble way too high.

Nevermind. The soundcard on my laptop is gone... :_(

Here's a guy playing Gyruss arcade with the normal joystick… Listen to that music!

Now watch this guy play Gyruss via MAME with a spinner controller for a comparison. He starts out playing Tempest but then switches to Gyruss [and later, Time Pilot]. It's incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10fPGXbAjRM#t=63

Why does he just stop playing and suicide at the end? He had a nearly perfect game with no deaths...

• Like 1