IGNORED

A fat PS2 Top Loader?

Banquo

I just spotted this on ebay and I can't figure out what it is. I've never seen one like it before and I can't find any information about it at all. It's a fat PS2 but it has a top loading door in addition to the tray. Is this something incredibly rare or just some homemade design someone has come up with?

xxKrvEu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I used to have that exact same casing on my old PS2! As Reaperman mentioned it is an aftermarket top case, but to give you a little more info the company that made them was called Swap Magic. The cases came with a Swap Magic boot disc that you'd use to start up the system, then once it was running you could open up the top, remove the disc, and swap in any import game you wanted to play. It was an easy and convenient way to play imports without having to solder in a mod chip. :)

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Neat. Never saw that, I would have said clone system if others hadn't already said what it was.

I remember the disc swap, but had the ps2 slim version which was just a spring to hold the open door switch down while you swapped the disc. Never much used it, had a few dbz games that didn't make it here at the time, but not much else.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, No_one_from_nowhere said:

I just picked one of these babies up on fb marketplace. Didn’t come w boot disc. Any ideas on how I can get it to work without it? 

Don't think so, you need the boot disc as it sends the command to stop the disc spindle from turning after loading the boot info, thus allowing you to well, "Swap Discs". I have one myself along with the Swap Magic discs. 

To make use of a top loading console to play backups you simply need the boot discs BUT that said, I believe you can load the same SWAP DISC type of program directly from a memory card but I do not have much experience with that. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
update