IGNORED

Poor video on Famicom

DustyKramKram

I picked up a worn out Famicom while in Japan and wasn't surprised to discover it has some issues. The first thing I noticed was a horrible buzzing sound that drowned out most game audio. I managed to fix this by cleaning the microphone slider contacts on the P2 controller.

The issue I'm trying to fix now is remarkably poor video quality from the RF output. I know RF isn't going to give me the best picture, but there seems to be some uncharacteristic horizontal distortion over the whole image that I'm not getting with my NES toaster's RF output. I've tested both a third party and an official NES RF switch with the same results (the original Famicom RF switch that came with the system doesn't work at all). I've opened the Famicom and cleaned the board to the best of my ability. I haven't yet opened the internal RF component box, though.

Without attempting an AV mod, what's my next best move for improving video quality?

Without attempting AV mod? Try that RGB mod. :D

RF is shit anyway. It's mostly analog components and it's very hard to fix and retune busted RF modulator. It's probably why mid 80's console started having RF box outside the systems rather than inside, cheaper to replace if it goes bad.

Without attempting AV mod? Try that RGB mod. :D

RF is shit anyway. It's mostly analog components and it's very hard to fix and retune busted RF modulator. It's probably why mid 80's console started having RF box outside the systems rather than inside, cheaper to replace if it goes bad.

Actually, this is incorrect. All consoles of the 1st through 4th generation have an internal RF modulator and use an external RF switchbox. Only for the later redesigns of the 4th generation (Genesis 2, SNES Mini, PC Engine Core Grafx) and most of the consoles of the 5th generation of the Playstation, N64 and Saturn (but not the Jaguar) required an external modulator.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, this is incorrect. All consoles of the 1st through 4th generation have an internal RF modulator and use an external RF switchbox. Only for the later redesigns of the 4th generation (Genesis 2, SNES Mini, PC Engine Core Grafx) and most of the consoles of the 5th generation of the Playstation, N64 and Saturn (but not the Jaguar) required an external modulator.

Not quite, the Japanese Mega Drive, Twin Famicom, AV Famicom and Japanese SMS use an external RF modulator as well.

Not quite, the Japanese Mega Drive, Twin Famicom, AV Famicom and Japanese SMS use an external RF modulator as well.

I stand corrected, I should have said "All North American consoles (without a built-in screen) of the 1st through 4th generation..." I could also add the Famicom Titler to the list. I guess the Famicom helped bring about the extinction of the built-in RF modulator. The original PC Engine only has RF and NEC was really cheap when it came to better video quality outputs. The SFC also has an internal RF modulator, but also has Composite, S-Video & RGB.

Edited by Great Hierophant