IGNORED

No Slot Clock for TI-99

aftyde

Is there a 28 pin ROM that this device could be crammed into? https://www.ultimateapple2.com/catalogzen154/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15&products_id=70

"The No-Slot Clock is a 'chip like' device that is installed in the IIe, IIc, IIc+ or Laser 128 under a ROM and keeps the time and date. It can also be used in the Apple II+, Franklin ACE 1000 or other Apple II clone with expansion slots (as long as there is a peripheral card with a 28 pin ROM on board), and some IBM PC's.

Please note that unlike other No-Slot Clocks, THIS version WILL FIT in a IIc or IIc+ with a Memory Expansion Card installed! It also allows for battery replacement with new, standard 1025 button cells, and even has connections for the ability to use other backup battery supplies.

The No-Slot Clock is ProDOS compatible (patch ProDOS or load driver on boot). The patch/driver work by alerting ProDOS there is a ThunderClock-like device installed. Some applications like AppleWorks will utilize the clock without any modifications. When the patch/driver is loaded Copy II+ will automatically recognize that a clock is installed and bypass the "Please Enter Date" screens.

Note: Please see the Forums for related support, discussions, documents, and software."

Even if there were ... presumably the device responds at certain locations in the processor memory map. Depending on where those locations are, it may not work because those locations are already used for (for example) VDP, GROM or DSR access, or it messes up software that expects and uses RAM in those locations. With the Apple, the device appears to be patched into the operating system - there is no such concept of the 99/4A.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

In that case - what might the clock options be for the TI? I'd like to use the REMIND software, and it would be nice if BOOT displayed the time. I have scanned the binary files for evidence of device input - but still pretty new at this. Seems that if it's possible to hack 80 col support into BOOT that clock support should be easy enough. Right now the only source of time I have is HDX1.CLOCK, any pointers, suggestions or ideas?!?

Edited by aftyde
  • Like 1

In that case - what might the clock options be for the TI? I'd like to use the REMIND software, and it would be nice if BOOT displayed the time. I have scanned the binary files for evidence of device input - but still pretty new at this. Seems that if it's possible to hack 80 col support into BOOT that clock support should be easy enough. Right now the only source of time I have is HDX1.CLOCK, any pointers, suggestions or ideas?!?

Reading your posts here takes me down memory lane! In the end, it came down to buying a legacy card. While it's not much help, my suggestion is to keep your eyes open on Ebay.... sorry.

Yes, the HDX1.CLOCK is currently usable for BASIC applications, but then, as now, there is nothing that will convert the input into a usable format that can be used by existing E/A 5 programs.

I even did a blog on it << HERE >>. Good luck in your quest, mine lasted a long, long time.

Only ebay makes it fair.

I do not think it works as when I last plugged it into the TI I could no longer access the P-Box and the Console would randomly reset or lock up.

I got it from Goodwill off a shelf of TI stuff with Joysticks, cleaned it up and inside it had Clock written in Magic Marker on the back side of Perf Board.

So have no idea how it worked, but it may have been using a DSR.

I do not think it works as when I last plugged it into the TI I could no longer access the P-Box and the Console would randomly reset or lock up.

I got it from Goodwill off a shelf of TI stuff with Joysticks, cleaned it up and inside it had Clock written in Magic Marker on the back side of Perf Board.

So have no idea how it worked, but it may have been using a DSR.

If it was built as a Clulow or MBP style clock, it would have no DSR. The clock registers are made visible in the 0x8600 range.

Thierry's site has a good write-up of the MBP and Analog to Digital conversion hardware.

• Like 3

I added a clock to a Speech Synthesiser yesterday evening. It's actually pretty easy to do, and you can access it from anywhere. I'll put it on eBay if anyone is interested.

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/Speech_Synth_Clock.jpg

Absolutely brilliant and amazingly simple to access. Would you happen to have schematics available?

• Like 1

I added a clock to a Speech Synthesiser yesterday evening. It's actually pretty easy to do, and you can access it from anywhere. I'll put it on eBay if anyone is interested.

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/Speech_Synth_Clock.jpg

Oh Damn.. I have to have one. maybe someone could make a version that has a calculator built in too.

I love this thing...