IGNORED

Entry 2015: Stunt Cycle

OK, here is my entry. It is far from finished and not very polished, but it is what I have so far. Stunt Cycle is pretty simple to figure out. Press the button a few times and you will get from the title screen to the game play. use disk to accelerate. top of disc is no speed and the bike will get faster at each point as you rotate your thumb/finger clockwise on the disk. The crash anim is not good, I just threw it in tonight. In emulation right arrow will get you the first jump and right arrow+down arrow should get the next two. It is set at just two lives right now.

There is not a two player mode yet but I am hopeful. No snow level yet either, but you never know. Oh yeah, no sound yet either.

To be honest, I still don't understand near enough about all of this GRAM, GROM, foreground/background stuff but when I have had a little bit of time to play with intyBasic it has been a blast.

So, suggestions, ideas, (more) examples of better ways or the correct ways to do things are all welcome. All comments are welcome, you can't hurt my feelings. :-D

My most immediate questions are:

1) On the title screen when it prints Stunt Cycle several times, how do I get the background to be white instead of black?

2) how do I make the start of the jump (collision with ramp) better/smoother (especially at the higher speeds)?

3) How do I detect collisions with the buses?

And of course, if you have artistic talents and want to create better sprites, backgrounds, or have some sounds you want to throw my way, PLEASE do so.

also, I know it's not a great game, but it is kind of fun in jzintv4droid

Stunt Cycle is the name of the Atari game that this is based on so if that is a problem, I can change it so I am open to naming suggestions as well.

StuntCycle.bas

post-111-0-63350400-1449200535.gif

• Like 8

OK, here is my entry. It is far from finished and not very polished, but it is what I have so far. Stunt Cycle is pretty simple to figure out. Press the button a few times and you will get from the title screen to the game play. use disk to accelerate. top of disc is no speed and the bike will get faster at each point as you rotate your thumb/finger clockwise on the disk. The crash anim is not good, I just threw it in tonight. In emulation right arrow will get you the first jump and right arrow+down arrow should get the next two. It is set at just two lives right now.any chance you can make the .bas file a .rom file?

There is not a two player mode yet but I am hopeful. No snow level yet either, but you never know. Oh yeah, no sound yet either.

To be honest, I still don't understand near enough about all of this GRAM, GROM, foreground/background stuff but when I have had a little bit of time to play with intyBasic it has been a blast.

So, suggestions, ideas, (more) examples of better ways or the correct ways to do things are all welcome. All comments are welcome, you can't hurt my feelings. :-D

1) On the title screen when it prints Stunt Cycle several times, how do I get the background to be white instead of black?

2) how do I make the start of the jump (collision with ramp) better/smoother (especially at the higher speeds)?

And of course, if you have artistic talents and want to create better sprites, backgrounds, or have some sounds you want to throw my way, PLEASE do so.

Stunt Cycle is the name of the Atari game that this is based on so if that is a problem, I can change it so I am open to naming suggestions as well.

StuntCycle.bas

sc_vid_1203.gif

OK, here is my entry. It is far from finished and not very polished, but it is what I have so far. Stunt Cycle is pretty simple to figure out. Press the button a few times and you will get from the title screen to the game play. use disk to accelerate. top of disc is no speed and the bike will get faster at each point as you rotate your thumb/finger clockwise on the disk. The crash anim is not good, I just threw it in tonight. In emulation right arrow will get you the first jump and right arrow+down arrow should get the next two. It is set at just two lives right now.

attachicon.gifStuntCycle.bas

attachicon.gifsc_vid_1203.gif

It looks great! If this is your "rough cut," I can't wait to see what comes out once you polish it. :)

I don't have my IntyBASIC environment set up, so if you post a ROM, I'll play the game and provide some feedback. I really like the title screen. I would recommend that, along with printing the text background on white, you print each line in succession, to give it a 1970s film impacting look.

Great work!

-dZ.

Oh, you're a brave man who uses color stack mode! If you had been using fg/bg mode, I might've been able to tell you how to change the background colour on the title screen.

What are you talking about? Color Stack is awesome... :)

I'll take a look at the code to see if I can find out what the problem is. I was hoping that one of the IntyBASIC veterans would chime in on this... :ponder:

Hey this looks fun! Who doesn't like jumping motorcycles? I played around with some sound effects that hopefully will help you get started...

include "constants.bas"

play simple
play moto_low
'play moto_med
'play moto_high
'play jump
'play crash

loop:
goto loop

moto_low:	data 4
	music b2z,-,-,-
	music repeat

moto_med:	data 4
	music g3z,-,-,-
	music repeat

moto_high:	data 4
	music c4z,-,-,-
	music repeat

jump:	data 2
	music c4y,-,-,-
	music c4#,-,-,-
	music d4,-,-,-
	music d4#,-,-,-
	music e4,-,-,-
	music f4,-,-,-
	music f4#,-,-,-
	music g4,-,-,-
	music f4#,-,-,-
	music f4,-,-,-
	music e4,-,-,-
	music d4#,-,-,-
	music d4,-,-,-
	music c4#,-,-,-
	music c4,-,-,-
	music stop

crash:	data 8
	music -,-,-,m3
	music -,-,-,m3
	music -,-,-,m2
	music -,-,-,m2
	music stop

They're nothing fancy but you get the idea. You might be able to do it with the 'sound' command but I don't know much about that. Anyhow I'm excited to see where this game goes. Maybe for a bonus round we could jump over the community swimming pool (with kids in it of course)? Flaming spikes? Don't let me ask too much now...

• Like 1

The title screen is really the sample program Landscape modified just slightly and it is in FG/BG mode and then goes to color stack mode. At least I think that is what is going on.

I knew I forgot something in the original post. The ROM, duh!

I don't know how to edit a post or if that is still possible so here is the rom (and the source file again).

Thanks for all the great comments so far.

stuntcycle.rom

StuntCycle.bas

• Like 3

Took a look at your code. To change the background colour you need to change the lines to this :-

for x = 1 to 7 step 2
          PRINT AT SCREENPOS(x+5,x) COLOR FG_RED+BG_GREY, "STUNT"
          PRINT AT SCREENPOS(x+6,x+1) COLOR FG_BLUE+BG_WHITE, "CYCLE"
       next
       PRINT AT SCREENPOS(1,10) COLOR FG_BLUE+BG_WHITE, "FOR 1 OR 2 PLAYERS"

And use this bug fixed constants.bas file :-

constants.bas

• Like 1

You will have to use fixed point maths and remove the "waitalot" procedure.

I'd be interested to hear what your approach would be and then we can work on that or make other suggestions.

One easy way would be to check the X and Y coordinates to see if the moment that the sprite falls on or below the height of the end ramp, if the position is beyond the buses.

in pseudo-code:

// "landed" is a flag that marks if you have landed
// RAMP_HEIGHT is a constant denoting the Y coordinate
//             of the highest point of the landing ramp.
// RAMP_POSITION is a constant denoting the left-most
//               X coordinate of the landing ramp.
if (not landed) {
  if (bike.y <= RAMP_HEIGHT) {
    if (bike.x <= RAMP_POSITION) {
      GOTO CRASHED;
    else
      landed = true;
  }
}

// ...
  • Like 1

Thanks to Emerson for the sounds and to GB and DZ Jay for the help.

I am at a seminar in NYC until Thursday and am having trouble getting my connections to work for more than a few minutes so every time I try to respond in full I am getting knocked off. Not trying to ignore anyone, just having issues for the next couple days.

here is the most recent update to Stunt Cycle. It now lets you select 1 or 2 players and actually plays to the end so it is, more or less, a real game. I am still working on the sprites and colors and the take off from the ramp but overall I kind of like it. I am playing it in emulation so I can control the volume on my computer but I do not know how to control the volume of the produced by the sounds. The sounds were taken straight from Emerson's post above. (thank you very much). To be honest, I thought the sound provided for the jump was too "cartoony" but when I put it in the game it struck me as perfect.

anyway, here is the latest code, a video and the ROM.

again, all advice, suggestions, comments, graphics, opinions, code, etc. are welcome.

(messy) code StuntCycle_121415.BAS

playable ROM StuntCycle_121415.rom

post-111-0-34745000-1450132636.gif

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and code and advice. Please don't stop.

Edited by fsuinnc
  • Like 2

here is the most recent update to Stunt Cycle. It now lets you select 1 or 2 players and actually plays to the end so it is, more or less, a real game. I am still working on the sprites and colors and the take off from the ramp but overall I kind of like it. I am playing it in emulation so I can control the volume on my computer but I do not know how to control the volume of the produced by the sounds. The sounds were taken straight from Emerson's post above. (thank you very much). To be honest, I thought the sound provided for the jump was too "cartoony" but when I put it in the game it struck me as perfect.

anyway, here is the latest code, a video and the ROM.

again, all advice, suggestions, comments, graphics, opinions, code, etc. are welcome.

(messy) code attachicon.gifStuntCycle_121415.BAS

playable ROM attachicon.gifStuntCycle_121415.rom

attachicon.gifsc_vid_1214.gif

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and code and advice. Please don't stop.

When using imvtogif to convert jzintv's video capture to gif, use the -s parameter to stretch the result 2x horizontally so it ends up as the correct aspect ratio.
  • Like 1

When you crash your bike still heads off the screen. I'm not sure if thats intentional but it'd be better if the animation took place where you hit the buses.

You can also gun the bike and clear the buses every time, but you don't land before the right edge of the screen. I think there needs to be some kind of play mechanic added to deter players from doing that.

• Like 1

When you crash your bike still heads off the screen. I'm not sure if thats intentional but it'd be better if the animation took place where you hit the buses.

You can also gun the bike and clear the buses every time, but you don't land before the right edge of the screen. I think there needs to be some kind of play mechanic added to deter players from doing that.

I kind of like the crashed bike continuing of screen. it seems less morbid to me since with death, etc. but I get your point. Mostly it is a reflection of my lack of skills as an artist and inexperience in making a game so it was much easier to simply make the crash continue off screen. However, I think I can easily let the normal deceleration take place and leave the crash where ever it ends up.

The second point is something I am working on. I think I just need to know where the bike will land in terms of x coordinate and decide whether that will be a crash or not depending on the number of buses even if the buses are going off the screen. That is next on my list.

thanks for the comments.

When using imvtogif to convert jzintv's video capture to gif, use the -s parameter to stretch the result 2x horizontally so it ends up as the correct aspect ration.

Thanks.

new vid if anyone cares.

post-111-0-83689700-1450145984_thumb.gif

Edited by fsuinnc
  • Like 4

Just noticed in that gif that there is no dude on the bike after the first go.

How about having a two part death sequence? The bike would crash and burn and the dude would fly off cartwheeling in the air and then hit the ground. He could then either die or stand up and shrug his shoulders.

Just noticed in that gif that there is no dude on the bike after the first go.

How about having a two part death sequence? The bike would crash and burn and the dude would fly off cartwheeling in the air and then hit the ground. He could then either die or stand up and shrug his shoulders.

Well, this is more about my graphic skills and color choices, the sprites are the same but it is player one (white) and player two (blue). I was thinking of adding color selection choices but it seemed like overkill.

I like the idea of crashing and having the rider walk away. I have thought along these lines but haven't tried making it happen. I might give this a try

Thanks.

new vid if anyone cares.

attachicon.gifsc_vid_1214b.gif

Looks much better in the proper ratio! I like Groovy's idea of different death animations. There are several people that can help you graphically if you need. I'd also add more details like clouds and stars and day/night cycles, but that's just me.

I haven't had time to look at the code or play it, but what's the maximum number of vehicles you have to jump?

Looks much better in the proper ratio! I like Groovy's idea of different death animations. There are several people that can help you graphically if you need. I'd also add more details like clouds and stars and day/night cycles, but that's just me.

I haven't had time to look at the code or play it, but what's the maximum number of vehicles you have to jump?

There is no limit on the number of buses per se. the max speed will jump only so far and that is off the screen so I have some work to figure the that out. I have also seen versions of similar games that add a jump on the second level (going right to left) and this is something that I might explore too. I was also thinking that I could limit the number of buses to 12 or 13 and after that point make each jump a random number of buses. I think that might be a good challenge and let the game continue without the action being off the screen.

I started on the game late (from the contest point of view) so I was hoping to get the playability down and then maybe work on back ground etc. but as always things have taken longer than I had anticipated.

thanks for the comments.

How about jumping buses and then add another obstacle like a shark tank after the buses and then a fire pit after that and so on to mix it up a bit.

Funny, I was thinking some levels could be jet skis jumping over sharks and whales with blow holes spewing water ...and a level where you go up the side a volcano to jump over the exploding lava rocks and the opening...but that kind of "add just one more detail" mentality is why I haven't released a game yet... ;)