IGNORED

Wizard of Wor with voice?

pboland

post-9874-0-51497600-1449334975_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer and I'm unable to make this happen, but if a programmer in the OD2 homebrew scene asked what would I like to see, it would be Wizard of Wor using the voice module. I saw in another topic that someone suggested this and I was happy to see I wasn't the only one that thought this was a good idea.

Again, I don't know much about programming, but I would think that (even using the built in character set) that this would be a doable game. I mean the OD2 was made for maze type games and with the voice module it seems like a no brainer to incorporate that function as well.

It doesn't have to be call Wizard of Wor since it may not 100% be like that game. I was thinking "Dungeon War" (or something along those lines) would be a good name. I think it would be possible to omit the Radar and still have a very playable/enjoyable game.

I only have the one screen mock-up (shown above) and its quite limited as I don't know what it would take to make custom charters, so I stuck with the basics. I was thinking each "worrior" (intentionally spelled wrong) would have three lives. The two dots next to the score is the lives indicators. If the game had multiple dungeon, the question marks could be the dungeon name title? (just an idea).

Let me know what you guys think and please feel free to add to the idea, but remember its an OD2 we are talking about, so don't get too crazy with what it should look like.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 1

I saw in another topic that someone suggested this and I was happy to see I wasn't the only one that thought this was a good idea.

:-D

It doesn't have to be call Wizard of Wor since it may not 100% be like that game. I was thinking "Dungeon War" (or something along those lines) would be a good name.

That should be "Dungeon War!," shouldn't it? ;) :P

Since we're spitballing, I think I'd go with "Sorcerer of Warr!" or "Dungeon Sorcerer!" or something. I like the word "sorcerer;" it seems like a credible clone of "wizard" and something Magnavox might have used. :-D

• Like 1

This was discussed from from 2009-2012 on the videopac / odyssey2 forum...

take a look:

http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=943.0

I think the O2 is a perfect fit for this type of game. I have asked the programmers that I have worked with, but none have taken interest in such a project.

I think it could be called "WIZARD OF WAR" or maybe just "WIZARDS!"

Tim

• Like 1

There is a game on the Exelvision EXL 100 that is named Wizord and use a voice synthesis chip for sound effect (but it's a Space Invader clone).

I like that idea alot. The game is simple enough for the Videopac, and the Voice add-on would add alot.

Maybe including nifty Videopac+ goodies like hi res background and visual effects?

There is a game on the Exelvision EXL 100 that is named Wizord and use a voice synthesis chip for sound effect (but it's a Space Invader clone).

I like that idea alot. The game is simple enough for the Videopac, and the Voice add-on would add alot.

Maybe including nifty Videopac+ goodies like hi res background and visual effects?

Not to derail my own topic but, how popular was the Videopac+ in Europe? I only ask because here in the state we never got OD3. One other question, can a Videopac+ be used in NTSC mode or is it PAL only?

It was moderately popular.

In 1983 when it was released, the market shifted to computers. Even with the BASIC extension, it couldn't pretend being a computer very much, and it was losing traction as the original Videopac platform was getting old.

While it's not a common console, it's not a very rare item, and the demand is quite low, so it's quite easy with some patience to acquire one for a reasonable price (between 30 and 50Euros).

As far as I know, the motherboard is PAL only, there isn't any easy way to tune it up to a 60htz frequency mode.

The Videopac G7401+ model have a RGB video output, so if you have a RGB monitor able to accept 50 htz frequency, it's the easiest way for you to get it working in the US. You will also need a step down transformer, or to replace the power supply, as it will be in 220V and 50 htz, of course.

Edited by CatPix

• 2 weeks later...

I made this. This is all the program displays. Now I need to figure out how to play the game, that is, if anyone still wants it made.

attachicon.gifwizardofwor.png

atari2600land, mate, I'd love for you to take on a project because you want to and enjoy it and not because it is popular or others encourage you to do it. We're all in this hobby to enjoy it, and nothing gives me more pleasure than playing games from someone who put his passion and love for the medium into one of his games.

Comments such as "if anyone still wants it made..." make you sound like a sop looking for pity and craving for attention. I've played some of your games, you have great potential (I particularly liked GoSub for the Intellivision, and the Government Waffle Project turned into a cool scroller), but you have to put your heart into it.

I know you can. You are still here, so that means that there is some fire burning inside you. Put your passion on your work, make it shine, and share it with the world. But most importantly, make sure that you do it for your very own reasons, not for acceptance or popularity -- and above all, have fun! :)

Cheers!

-dz.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes - please do make it and work on it! I would love to see and play this game. And I will be more than happy to publish it on cartridge!

Please refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_of_Wor for more game info.

thanks!

Tim

Let's see this released by 2600connection!