IGNORED

Preparing your game entry

The closing date is fast approaching so its time to start thinking about putting together a contest entry.

Meeting the entry criteria
In order to enter your game into the contest it needs to meet the following criteria :-

• Developed using a version of IntyBASIC.
  • Uses the default IntyBASIC prologue/epilogue files for that version of IntyBASIC.
  • Only ORG assembly language directives are allowed (to make larger games).
  • Bank switching is not permitted.

Making a valid entry
Each entry into the contest must consist of the following items :-

• Game image in *.rom or *.bin+*.cfg.
  • Brief instructions on how to play the game.
  • IntyBASIC source code (and any data files[1]).
  • Instructions on how to build the IntyBASIC source code.

[1]If your entry uses intycolor or your own custom tools then you only need to include their output source files.

Our validation process
A validation process will be carried out on each entry's source code :-

• It will be checked against the entry criteria.
  • It will be built using your instructions.
  • The final binary must match the submitted binary image 100% e.g. every byte is the same.

To speed up the validation process we'd like developers to provide the answers to these questions :-

1) Are you using the IntyBASIC SDK? If so, which version? Now skip to question 4.
2) Which version of IntyBASIC are you using?
3) Which version of as1600.exe are you using? If you don't know then in which SDK1600 *.zip file was it found?
4) What are the command line(s) or batch file used to build your project? Include all steps. If you are using intycolor or your own custom tools to generate game content then only submit their output IntyBASIC source code files.
5) What are the command line(s) or batch file to run your project?
6) What emulators have you tested the game on e.g. jzintv, Bliss, Nostalgia?
7) Has the game been tested on real hardware? If "yes", please state if its NTSC, PAL or both.

See the attached validation.txt file which can be edited and submitted along with your game :-
validation.txt

Wrapping up
If we can't build your source code into a matching ROM image then your entry will not be judged. With that in mind, please don't leave your contest entry to the very last minute. If its not quite right there will be no time for us to provide some feedback on how to correct any problems.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Even if your contest entry isn't 100% complete e.g. missing some levels, not all the sound effects you'd like etc. you should still submit it. Its possible to get a good feel for a game and its "fun factor"/"potential" from the first few minutes you spend with it. Prize winning entrants will be able to add more polish to their game before it goes to cart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To speed up the validation process we'd like developers to provide the answers to these questions :-

1) Are you using the IntyBASIC SDK? If so, which version? Now skip to question 4.

2) Which version of IntyBASIC are you using?

3) Which version of as1600.exe are you using? If you don't know then in which SDK1600 *.zip file was it found?

4) What are the command line(s) or batch file used to build your project? Include all steps. If you are using intycolor or your own custom tools to generate game content then only submit their output IntyBASIC source code files.

5) What are the command line(s) or batch file to run your project?

6) What emulators have you tested the game on e.g. jzintv, Bliss, Nostalgia?

7) Has the game been tested on real hardware? If "yes", please state if its NTSC, PAL or both.

See the attached validation.txt file which can be edited and submitted along with your game :-

attachicon.gifvalidation.txt

Wrapping up

If we can't build your source code into a matching ROM image then your entry will not be judged. With that in mind, please don't leave your contest entry to the very last minute. If its not quite right there will be no time for us to provide some feedback on how to correct any problems.

Good luck!

I am not really concerned about winning but want to make sure my entry at least qualifies and I want the judges to have as easy a time as possible judging. My concern is #4. I have an image that I ran through intycolor to create the title screen. But then I changed the output Data to add words on the screen and I think I changes the output to shift the whole image left (or maybe right) 2 columns. My source file is a single file with all the data needed to compile but it really doesn't match exactly the intycolor output I stated with.

for example, I replaced the intycolor output $2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,$2600,

to be $2600,$2709,$2771,$27C9,$2600,$2711,$27A9,$27A1,$27A1,$2779,$2771

so it prints 'ANY BUTTON' instead of just (White) spaces.

Is this ok as is?

I am also using the latest version of IntyBASIC but copied it into the IntySDK folders so jumping from #1 to #4 doesn't work.

In short, I can give you the versions of everything I am using and you should will have no problem recreating the game from the source code but you can not use the image I started with and the Intycolor output that image produces.

Thanks

Is this ok as is?

All we need are the source code files. If you've hand tweaked source code files after they were generated by tools that is fine, just include those source code files. Providing all those source code files in your entry make up your game's ROM. We don't want to be in a position where we need extra bespoke tools or environments e.g. Perl, Python etc. just to build your game.

I am also using the latest version of IntyBASIC but copied it into the IntySDK folders so jumping from #1 to #4 doesn't work.

As long as you provide instructions on how to recreate your environment thats fine. However, do not mix and match prologue/epilogue assembly language files. Use the ones that were included in the IntyBASIC release that you are using. We don't want to spend hours trying to figure out what you did or didn't include. If you've copied things from here, there and everywhere then my advice would be to start from a fresh environment using all the latest tools and then build your game again.

In short, I can give you the versions of everything I am using and you should will have no problem recreating the game from the source code but you can not use the image I started with and the Intycolor output that image produces.

Do not include *.exe's etc in your release. Judges use Linux, Windows and Mac so we don't want to run binaries or non native scripts.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't remember which IntyBASIC SDK you've installed, then in the folder ..\My Documents\IntyBASIC SDK there is a file called IntyBASIC SDK README.txt. At the bottom of that file is the version number of the SDK.

Or more accurately, in the file "..\My Documents\IntyBASIC SDC\Documents\IntyBASIC Manual (En).txt" will say explicitly which version of the compiler is included.

We don't want to spend hours trying to figure out what you did or didn't include.

You mean, like what happened at least once already? :lol:

-dZ.

Or more accurately, in the file "..\My Documents\IntyBASIC SDC\Documents\IntyBASIC Manual (En).txt" will say explicitly which version of the compiler is included.

:cool: Mine was just a quick fix :P

You mean, like what happened at least once already? :lol:

If we do a contest again then some things will be done differently. You live and learn :D.

Is there any infingement if I INCLUDE an actual EXE copy of the IntyBASIC, as1600 and bin2rom, of which I built from BAS to finished ROM (of my currently unfinished game :grin: )?

Do not include tools in your *.zip file. Just tell us which version of IntyBASIC (or the SDK) you are using and where you got the as1600.exe from, so that we can replicate your build environment.