IGNORED

Meet the CvW 2015 judges and other stuff

DZ-Jay

As you all know, the 2015 edition of the Carol vs. The World! Championship is under way, and we've already had a good turnout by rookies and veterans alike.

Now, I would like to introduce you to my fellow judges for this year's contest, hand-selected for their unique perspectives, strength of character, and passion for our hobby. Or something like that, I'm sure. :ponder:

Judges Panel:

• Albert - First off on the list is our friend and host, Al, operator and administrator of AtariAge itself. Al brings a sense of respectability and fair justice to the judges table, which is well needed in a panel full of excitable and passionate individuals.
  • Revolutionika - Our very own Rev is in the ranks, providing good humour, promoting fairness and equality, and ensuring that fun remains the main focus of the championship.
  • GroovyBee - Nobody is as groovy as the GroovyBee, who's passion is self evident in all his work. Groovy's keen programmer's eye and zen-like perspective helps us make sure that decisions are not done in haste, that judgements are consistent, and that respect for the game is maintained.
  • "Mystery" Judge - And lastly at the judges table, perhaps reluctantly and unknowingly, is the "Mystery" judge (it's my wife, but don't let her know!); through whom I ran all my ideas, concerns, and suspicions, and always ask for council before making decisions or judgements. When I bring up a topic to the judges table for discussion, chances are that "Mystery" judge has already vetted it and influenced it.
  • And of course, there's your's truly, DZ-Jay, wrangling the cats, having fun, but mostly just stirring trouble. :)

Let's all welcome the new judges!

New Rules:

In case you are not aware, we've updated the contest rules this year in order to make it more fair and accessible to rookies and novices. The most important change is the creation of a separate rank and prize track for veteran players. The idea is to give a chance for rookies and experienced players to win prizes, without having to compete against each other in an uneven match.

A "veteran" player is one who has participated in the contest before with a score of 2,000 points or higher. To celebrate their accomplishments, Santa Claus himself has anointed them with the special honorary title of Elite Knight Elves.

The other judges and I believe this to be a better approach for everyone, but of course we welcome feedback. After all, this contest is for the community, and to share and have fun during the Christmas Season.

So, don't be shy! Whether you've played the game one time, 500 times, or none at all -- you are all invited and welcome to post your scores, share in the merriment, and have a go at winning a prize. :)

Useful Links:

... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

-dZ.

• Like 6

Good to know the judges.

Now I can bring you a case. :)

Well, actually, a question about the video required for breaking the world record.

Since it takes so many hours, could the video begin only after the 20k mark (orange score)?
Can we cut the video to avoid more than 1 hour length?

From rules:

• Contestants applying for the Christmas Carol World Record are required to submit video proof of their achievement for review. The organizes of the Carol vs. The World! Championship reserve the right to reject or disqualify any world record submission.

Great question about the video.

I was using iphone to record the game between the rounds. I would get ~ 8-10 seconds, and when I saw Ready--> Go, I would stop recording. I will say recording between the rounds is a bit of a distraction. Pickup phone, hit record, get what video you can get, and then put the phone down, repeat over and over.

At the end of the game I record the TV with the score, I show the console with game cart and then I turn off the console and TV screen goes blank. This method is much easier. Would this be enough?

14K score is ~3 hours

30K score will be around 6 hours. I'm not sure if many devices support recording 6 hours.

Hi, Liduário,

That's a terrific question. I will discuss this with the panel of judges and provide an answer later.

Please understand that the requirement is to ensure fairness and to make sure that everything is above reproach. That said, I understand the limitations, so let me see what we can come up with.

Grips, can you give more details on what you do? I didn't quite get it.

dZ.

Grips, can you give more details on what you do? I didn't quite get it.

dZ.

Here is what I did, method 1 and 2 only.

1) Method 1: Play game. Pickup my iphone, usually during perfect screen, select camera, video, press record. Record the perfect screen and the start of the next screen, so you can see the score. On the new screen it shows Ready-->Go, right at "Go". I drop the iphone quick and start playing. I think this lead to a lower score as its kind of distracting to do this. I did it over and over, because I don't have a iphone video holder. I really don't like this method.

2) Method two: Just record a video for the game over screen. The game is nice in that it stays there until buttons are pressed. So I recorded the TV screen with the score, then moved camera to show the console and cart, then put console and TV in same view and turned off the console. This way you saw that the console and TV are the same game. This method worked better for me, because you just do it once at the end. Is it good enough for the judges?

3) Method 3: Buy iphone video holder and setup iphone to record the last ???? amount of game play. Issue with this is who knows how much longer your game is going to be and how much video the iphone holds. Perhaps start recording when your above 29K (the current world record)?

On my desk, I have a little mini trash can flipped upside down in front of my consoles. On this I place a CX40 or Wico joystick. I set my phone or Bloggie camera down on the trash can, leaned back against the joystick at the proper angle.

I can press record or stop whenever I want to. It is in this way I have made multiple gameplay/screen capture videos in the past month or so.

Poor man's tripod, so to speak. ;)

Any HIGHLY restrictive rules that forbid anyone breaking the world record are fine by me :-D.

OK then, we'll demand that you go back in time and record your game-play as you broke the record last. And, as long as you're inventing time travel technology, may as well require that you also employ immersive ambient holographic imagery as well. :P

:lol:

• Like 1

Just some thoughts...

• A single video (not edited) showing a gamer going through all 16 levels in the highest difficulty (after level 48) 2 or 3 times is a great way to show some serious skills.
  • The only way to show your performance in an endurance marathon is to record a long period of game-play BUT since pause is not forbidden, probably the previous thought is good enough.
  • It's more difficult to record when playing on real intellivision hardware and it is much more difficult to cheat using Intellivision, so requiring more proof from emulation is reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for the belated response. I convened with the other judges and we came all to an agreement on the rules for breaking the world record. I meant to post this earlier, but forgot. My apologies for the delay.

We agreed to take on the same attitude and approach that Twin Galaxies recently adopted, that of making it easy for the participants to submit their qualified entries. This means, in general, that we allow the player to use their own judgement in providing evidence of their accomplishment, within reason; and expect them to include everything they feel is necessary to prove authenticity and authority.

Below are some rules and guidelines for pretenders to the ultimate honour of The Christmas Carol High Score World Record.

Rules & Regulations:

• The judges reserve the right to decline or disqualify any submission at their own and absolute discretion. Notwithstanding, they commit to fairness and will do everything within their power to act justly and appropriately, including engaging the community for feedback to aid in achieving final judgement.
  • We will always prefer to receive an unaltered, unedited video of game-play from start to end, which displays clearly the gaming platform (console or PC), the play screen, and includes unedited proof of date (e.g., newspaper date line, etc.). This is the most reliable and trustworthy evidence, and is almost guaranteed to result in automatic acceptance (following review and authentication). In case of an openly contested outcome, this may be the only way to resolve it.
  • Any entry must include all necessary information, in any practical medium, to serve as evidence of achievement. It should also be accompanied by a brief description of the materials included, and guidance as to why it should be sufficient as proof. The judges reserve the right to request additional material proof, in cases where there is some discrepancy or in order to resolve any ambiguity.
  • Keep in mind that if you submit multiple separate materials (screenshots, newspapers, video snippets, etc.), you have to offer conclusive or convincing proof, or at least a compelling argument, that they all pertain to the play session in question.
  • Acceptable material evidence should include proof that the game session occurred at the date of claim, and that the final score was reached on a single session without any cheats, modifications, or additional non-stock hardware components.
  • Failure to follow up on requests for additional material evidence in a reasonable timely manner will result in forfeiture and ultimate rejection of the claim.

So there you have it, I hope this helps clear up the questions. Ultimately we want to be fair to everyone, but also want to ensure that entries are on the level and trustworthy, and maintain the ultimate title beyond reproach. Keep in mind that reputation also counts highly in this sort of contest. World renown Billy Mitchell may get away with submitting a short video of him breaking the record on Pac-Man, but an unknown challenger must work harder to prove convincingly that he can actually play just as good, and that his entry is valid.

Likewise with the Christmas Carol High Score World Record, except we're nicer and have more fun playing. :)

I will update soon the official CvW web site to include this information in a clear and concise manner. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Rev said that I could have the title of World Record Champion if I sent him some tasteful nudes. Is that within the rules? :)

If you submit your score and include yourself nakkid in the picture, I'm sure Rev will lobby for your placement at the top of the ranks. Go ahead and try... ;)

I like Highscore.com very much.

And I would like to see some players trying to claim Christmas Carol world record over there. :)

Christmas Carol emulated: http://highscore.com/scores/IntellivisionEmulated/ChristmasCarol/19608

Christmas Carol with a real Intellivision: http://highscore.com/scores/Intellivision/ChristmasCarol/3872

Here are Highscore.com rules: http://highscore.com/learn/

In my opinion, highscore.com is much funier than Twin Galaxy.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for the belated response. I convened with the other judges and we came all to an agreement on the rules for breaking the world record. I meant to post this earlier, but forgot. My apologies for the delay.

We agreed to take on the same attitude and approach that Twin Galaxies recently adopted, that of making it easy for the participants to submit their qualified entries. This means, in general, that we allow the player to use their own judgement in providing evidence of their accomplishment, within reason; and expect them to include everything they feel is necessary to prove authenticity and authority.

Below are some rules and guidelines for pretenders to the ultimate honour of The Christmas Carol High Score World Record.

Rules & Regulations:

• The judges reserve the right to decline or disqualify any submission at their own and absolute discretion. Notwithstanding, they commit to fairness and will do everything within their power to act justly and appropriately, including engaging the community for feedback to aid in achieving final judgement.
  • We will always prefer to receive an unaltered, unedited video of game-play from start to end, which displays clearly the gaming platform (console or PC), the play screen, and includes unedited proof of date (e.g., newspaper date line, etc.). This is the most reliable and trustworthy evidence, and is almost guaranteed to result in automatic acceptance (following review and authentication). In case of an openly contested outcome, this may be the only way to resolve it.
  • Any entry must include all necessary information, in any practical medium, to serve as evidence of achievement. It should also be accompanied by a brief description of the materials included, and guidance as to why it should be sufficient as proof. The judges reserve the right to request additional material proof, in cases where there is some discrepancy or in order to resolve any ambiguity.
  • Keep in mind that if you submit multiple separate materials (screenshots, newspapers, video snippets, etc.), you have to offer conclusive or convincing proof, or at least a compelling argument, that they all pertain to the play session in question.
  • Acceptable material evidence should include proof that the game session occurred at the date of claim, and that the final score was reached on a single session without any cheats, modifications, or additional non-stock hardware components.
  • Failure to follow up on requests for additional material evidence in a reasonable timely manner will result in forfeiture and ultimate rejection of the claim.

So there you have it, I hope this helps clear up the questions. Ultimately we want to be fair to everyone, but also want to ensure that entries are on the level and trustworthy, and maintain the ultimate title beyond reproach. Keep in mind that reputation also counts highly in this sort of contest. World renown Billy Mitchell may get away with submitting a short video of him breaking the record on Pac-Man, but an unknown challenger must work harder to prove convincingly that he can actually play just as good, and that his entry is valid.

Likewise with the Christmas Carol High Score World Record, except we're nicer and have more fun playing. :)

I will update soon the official CvW web site to include this information in a clear and concise manner. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions.

-dZ.

I'm curious, is anybody going to try to beat the World Record this year? It doesn't have to be during the competition, but I thought it would be fun if someone broke the record before the end of the year. That way, we would maintain the tradition of a new record holder every year. :)

-dZ.

I'm curious, is anybody going to try to beat the World Record this year? It doesn't have to be during the competition, but I thought it would be fun if someone broke the record before the end of the year. That way, we would maintain the tradition of a new record holder every year. :)

-dZ.

unfortunately i cannot do it cause it would break another tradition. Every second place person has won the competition the next year. Its written in the stars for him to win. Believe me im going to try to break that tradition but the gods have spoken and it is written.....
  • Like 1

unfortunately i cannot do it cause it would break another tradition. Every second place person has won the competition the next year. Its written in the stars for him to win. Believe me im going to try to break that tradition but the gods have spoken and it is written.....

Then it's up to grips03 to maintain the tradition and break the record. You hear that, grips?