IGNORED

What are your collecting goals in 2016?

Oh, and as for my collecting goals -- good question! I think I'd like to get a bit closer to having all 125 Intellivision releases CIB, keep up with the homebrews, and I'd also like to have a 100% working system again.

I'd also like to get a CD-i gamepad or adapter, and either a PC Engine Duo or a CD attachment for my PCE (probably the former). More Dreamcast and GameCube games would also be great, and getting the last couple bits and bobs for 32X that I don't have would be great.

But otherwise, I honestly have nearly everything I want, including an armada of flash carts (though it'd be nice to have the CV one). That said I'm sure I can find my way to craving more stuff. :)

EDIT: Yeah, if you can find a 100% working PowerBook G4, it's a great machine. If I hadn't used mine as a working machine, and transported it hither and yon accordlngly, it probably would have lasted longer. I'd suggest always picking it up with both hands, and never doing anything to flex the mainboard. I still have both of mine; maybe someone can reball the GPU? Always meant to try the heating trick with a heat gun...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a few things planned for the coming year, with three in particular on my mind.

#1. Decide what to do about my Atari 2600 collection

This is the biggest thing on my mind right now. I've currently got a library of around 140'ish games for the 2600 (some being pretty valuable ones to boot) and I do enjoy playing them, but I've been through four different Atari 2600 systems in the last year and I've yet to find one that works right for more than a month or two before it breaks down. I like the games on the system, but I'm really sick of the unreliable system hardware. In 2016 I need to either find a system to play my 2600 games on that works reliably and will keep working over the long term or just say "screw it" and sell my entire Atari 2600 collection. Either way I need to decide soon, since I'm tired of my Atari games just sitting around collecting dust and I don't want to have to keep buying or new systems or getting the one I have repaired every few months.

I think you might be the first person I have heard say that the 2600 is unreliable. Just curious how much playing time you put on a 2600 in a typical week.

• 11 months later...

I really like the goal of "buy less, play more". In addition, I'd like to...

- Better organize my collection, both physically and digitally.

- Fund a significant portion of my new purchases buy selling lots of my excess stuff

- Sell a bunch of my extra stuff

- Play every new game that I acquire

- Get a projector and play classic games outside this summer

Time to grade myself on my 2016 goals...

Better organize my collection, both physically and digitally. Grade: B+ I've made progress in both aspects. I reorganized, hung new posters in the game room, created a display for my slurpee cups, protected nearly all of my boxes with plastic protectors and created a new database with most of my games. Not bad but I have too much stuff for too little space.

Fund a significant portion of my new purchases by selling existing stuff. Grade C- I made some sales but I spent way more than I sold.

Sell a bunch of my extra stuff. Grade: D There never seems to be enough time. I have hundreds of doubles. Maybe next year.

Play every new game that I acquire. Grade: C I've played lots of them but there's never enough time.

Get a projector and play classic games outside this summer. Grade: A- Got the projector and had a blast playing supersized games on the great room wall. I don't think we made it outside but that's fine.

OVERALL GRADE: C+

• Like 1

Here's what I'll shift focus to vintage wise:

Sega Master System: I would really like to pick up one of these, along with a few of the games I'm always playing on the AtGames handheld I have.

Super Nintendo: Pick up the 5-6 games I remember renting from the local video store as a kid that I'm currently missing. Also pick up a nicer SNES console and controllers.

Raspberry Pi & PC: See what I can do with some tiny computers and all of those GOG/Humble Bundle purchases. I'm looking to stick all of the games on one and hook it up to a giant HD-TV. Should be fun to play with.

This was my reply over a year ago. I actually DID pick up a Master System and a nicer SNES. I also got my Raspberry Pi up and running with Retropie, but I don't currently have it fully set up for running old computer software. I got massively sidetracked by trying out a bunch of Atari 2600 games after I downloaded Stella LOL.

So, I stuck to part of the plan, but then got a nice distraction courtesy of all of the great Atari 2600 games (especially homebrew) I never tried before.

I still have too much stuff sitting around... I'll have to really focus on the liquidating part of last years plan. Besides, I have discovered that the flexibility of emulation is a lot of fun to play around with, allowing me to display my favorite classics on giant flatscreen TVs while using quality wireless controllers (like the Dualshock 3). Good times.

Edited by Retro-Z
  • Like 3

I just want more games for all my systems (naturally), with a focus on rare (or rarish) 2600 and 7800 titles, 5200 Activision carts, anything for XEGS, Color Computer, VIC-20, and TRS-80 (Model I), and Timex/Sinclair tapes. Maybe some specific titles here and there for various other platforms.

For hardware, I'd like to get a Commodore PET 2001, a clean working Color Computer 1 (min. 16K), a nice, undented INTV III (and/or a Super Pro System), an honest-to-goodness Atari heavy sixer, a NeoGeo Pocket Color, and maybe even a NeoGeo CD. (And anything else interesting in between, like a TRS-80 Model 100 or PC-2.)

I'm fairly certain most of that won't happen in the next calendar year, but it's nice to have goals, right? :-D

Well, I think I actually did okay with my goals over the last year. I did indeed acquire:

-Rare (or rarish) 2600 and 7800 carts: Spy Hunter, Up 'N' Down, Robin Hood, Guardian, Basketball (Sears Pic label), Fun With Numbers and several other Atari Corp. pic label carts, Ikari Warriors (7800), and Planet Smashers

-5200 Activision carts: Pitfall

-XEGS: Mario Bros., possibly some others (I forget if I got them this year or last)

-Color Computer/3: Silpheed, Slay The Nereis, Doubleback, Color Scripsit, Spectaculator, and a gaggle of other carts (including a "proto" of Flood It, one of possibly only two creator Evan Wright ever made), and Klendathu, Zaxxon, and Pooyan on tape

-VIC-20: Monster Maze, Fast Eddie, Choplifter, and maybe one or two others

-TRS-80 Model I tapes: Haunted House, Space Warp, some others I'm forgetting

For hardware, I did actually get that clean working Color Computer 1 (16K, as it happens) and that nice, undented Super Pro System (still would prefer an INTV III, but still). Also grabbed a TRS-80 Model 100 at VCF this year (though I'm not really into it nearly as much as I thought I'd be, nifty as it is).

Never did get that Heavy Sixer. Or the PET 2001, which I've pretty much given up on (that one was always a pipedream anyway). And I kind of forgot about the NeoGeo stuff, which probably means it's a good thing I never shelled out the money for it.

• Like 2

No set goals. I'll probably play alot of Xbox One since I recently got that and about 5 games. Maybe pick up some WiiU new releases in 2016. As far as classic gaming goes, well that depends on what I get the urge to play. Usually, when I hook up an old system, I play what I have (which is always alot), and then search for more to buy from there.

The only thing I'm changing this year is that I bought a Journal to write my purchases down. My game buying habits are so random, I want to record when and where I bought a game. I have so many games that I have no clue anymore how I acquired them.

I did start a game journal, and I have to say it was a success. I recorded all my gaming purchases with all relevant information to myself, such as condition, completeness, price and location/website purchased from. I really regret not starting one years and years ago.

I am pretty happy with how my game collection rounded out, acquiring games for most of my systems, except for NES and PS1/PS2. Along with getting games, I also went for buying Box Only auctions on ebay to complete some of my loose SNES carts. That was a first for me. I find that the more I realize my actual game acquisitions that I 'need' for playing dwindle, I still need something to do, and completing loose carts is somewhat satisfying, although much less so than acquiring a game I've never had before.

I feel satisfied with the general philosophy that I'm adhering to. I don't feel the need to go for complete collections of game systems, although I do have a complete Jag/JagCD collection. That's the only one. I just want games I want to play, but I want them CIB if possible. Yeah, I play my games, and I play alot, but I also let the collector impulses in me have their fun too.

Looking forward to 2017, and looking forward to spending less money. The only thing on my radar right now are the 7800 games coming to the AA store soon. I also want to get some CIB 5200 games that I only have loose carts of. I may buy some more SNES boxes too. I'm thankful that there aren't any actual SNES cartridges I need, I have most of the ones I want to play.

• Like 1

So just to tie in with another thread- this here is necrobumping done right :) Anyway!

Collecting goal #1: revamp the setup

Not as major as previous revisions, but I need to get a LCD tv in there for modern systems. Most of this is rearranging my closet to make room for my CRT. I won't be able to have both out, but I know I'll want it for when I have more space.

Goal #2: get a PS4

Pretty straightforward- the games I want are out, I need to get one. (It's part of the reason I need the new tv!)

Goal #3: MOAR SYSTEMS!

I doubt I'll get everything I'm after- that'd be pricey- but there are a few more systems I'd like to add to my set. An original Gameboy, a PSONE with the screen, a Yukievision... plus the pipe dreams of an Oddessey,a Vectrex, and a Saturn. Barring an amazing find in the wild, those aren't really in my price range.

So, thanks to my fiancé generosity-bombing me with a PS4 as a Christmas present last year, I was forced to slam through goals 1 and 2 by the end of January. As far as my list of systems to acquire- I did get the PSOne with screen, went off tangent and bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color, a 7800, and a Microvision, and inherited my fiancé's original Xbox. Also, I splurged and bought the Saturn. :-D So it's not the systems I expected, but goal #3 is definitely completed!

As for 2017, I think I'll bring it in a bit and focus less on new acquisitions and more on just enjoying what I've got now. The plan is to start saving up for the Switch & Xbox one, since I expect to be wanting those towards the end of the year. First priority though- get the Inty working, as it's been on the fritz for awhile now. Also, adding TurboDuo to the Pipe Dream systems- that one's VERY out of my price range! (Modded PC Engine, maybe doable...)

• Like 3

Don't know if these will happen this year, because honestly, some of these have been goals for a long time, but anyway...

1. Buy a new book shelf to organize games better.

2. Get a Action Replay memory cart for my Saturn and maybe start getting a few import games.

3. Either get a working NES Advantage or finally cobble together a working one from my two non-working ones.

4. Get my 36inch tube television back from my dad's house.

5. Get the proper power adapter for my Jaguar.

6. Expand my N64 collection and get some extra controllers.

7. See if I can find a good deal on a 7800.

How I did this year:

1. Did that. But will need another soon.

2. Got the Pro Action Replay cart, but still no new Saturn games.

3. Bought a working one after messing with the broken ones for a while.

4. Got it, but my memory failed me. It wasn't 36 inch. I used to have a 36 but I think it got killed when lightning struck my apartment back around 2001. It's smaller. A 28 inch I think. But still very useable.

5. Got one. So now maybe the guys in the Jaguar forum will be nice to me. lol

6. Didn't get a single one. Still one slightly loose blue controller and still just Mario 64 to play with it.

7. Didn't get a 7800... but got a great deal on a 2600! Free! Christmas gift! (Just have to buy an ac adapter and joysticks to see if it works now. lol

• Like 1

I'd like to get a bit closer to having all 125 Intellivision releases CIB

Nope.

keep up with the homebrews

Yup.

and I'd also like to have a 100% working system again.

Nope.

I'd also like to get a CD-i gamepad or adapter

Nope.

and either a PC Engine Duo or a CD attachment for my PCE (probably the former).

The latter, and it's in the mail to me as I write this.

More Dreamcast and GameCube games would also be great, and getting the last couple bits and bobs for 32X that I don't have would be great.

Nope, but I did get a Dreamcast with a GDEmu (which is like having all the games), though it's sort of flaky for reasons I haven't yet sussed out. Well, and I did get L.O.L. (Lack of Love), though I've struggled to figure it out.

• Like 1