IGNORED

Wilmunder's Star Raiders II released

Savetz

No, push up to climb, down to dive.

I'm assuming that this is because of the moving cross-hairs that the game uses. Pushing up makes the cross-hairs move up and you climb. Pushing down makes them go down and you dive. I'd definitely prefer fixed cross-hairs and the normal "push to dive" method. This feels more like INTV Space Battle / Space Attack.

I am hoping someone from AA would complete the game and put it on a cart! That would be awesome in my 800xl, as I am a huge fan of Star Raiders!

I'm also hoping it'll be ported over to the 5200. That wonky 5200 joystick was built for Star Raiders.

• Like 3

I have had a chance to play this, got Ace on Pilot level. Here are some wuick thoughts:

1. It's brilliant. It keeps everything that made the original great but adds lots of new features. Its incredibly intense, forcing you to juggle all kinds of different priorities to keepnyourself and your starbases alive.

2. The combat, while needing some minor tweaking, is crazy fun. Love the moving crosshair, and the unpredictable AI. It's far more precise and harder to hit enemies, and the zylons swirl around your ship forcing constant switching from fore to aft. Really gives you that surrounded and on the edge of disaster feeling.

3. The zylons are far smarter strategically. It is goddamn hard to keep your bases alive, and the addition of onenor more zylon planets that spawn attack fleets keeps the pressure high. If you assault a planet, you leave your starbases defenseless. Ignore them and endless streams of zylons assault multiple bases. It is awesome.

4. The planets are brilliant. There are dozens to land on and the zylon ones are tough as nails to take down with the pixel precise targeting. Very fun

5. The 3d models are amazing for the time, way less slowdown than the original. With all thenexplosions, ships, flashing shield hits, alarms etc. It feels frantic and overwhelming like the space fights in the new BSG.

6. New hyperspace mechanic is more fun than the old one.

6. Nitpicks: its harder to take system damage on novice and pilot, targeting could use a bit of tweaking, and adding the zylon mothership would be cool.

All in all, this game is A list stuff. I am having as much fun with it as Battlefront on the ps4. It is intense, demanding, pretty, and involving. Even the lower levels are significantly more white knuckle than the original.

Think this may become one of my favorite 8 bit games of all time. I cant wait to see what people do with the source code once it is released. The author was worried about the game being unfairly criticized.... But it is the sequel I have always wanted.

There is nothing else out there like it. Star Raiders and Elites long lost kid. Play it!

• Like 14

What a touching review! I ask your permission to mention some passages of it in an article about the game.

Regards.

- Y -

I have had a chance to play this, got Ace on Pilot level. Here are some wuick thoughts:

1. It's brilliant. It keeps everything that made the original great but adds lots of new features. Its incredibly intense, forcing you to juggle all kinds of different priorities to keepnyourself and your starbases alive.

2. The combat, while needing some minor tweaking, is crazy fun. Love the moving crosshair, and the unpredictable AI. It's far more precise and harder to hit enemies, and the zylons swirl around your ship forcing constant switching from fore to aft. Really gives you that surrounded and on the edge of disaster feeling.

3. The zylons are far smarter strategically. It is goddamn hard to keep your bases alive, and the addition of onenor more zylon planets that spawn attack fleets keeps the pressure high. If you assault a planet, you leave your starbases defenseless. Ignore them and endless streams of zylons assault multiple bases. It is awesome.

4. The planets are brilliant. There are dozens to land on and the zylon ones are tough as nails to take down with the pixel precise targeting. Very fun

5. The 3d models are amazing for the time, way less slowdown than the original. With all thenexplosions, ships, flashing shield hits, alarms etc. It feels frantic and overwhelming like the space fights in the new BSG.

6. New hyperspace mechanic is more fun than the old one.

6. Nitpicks: its harder to take system damage on novice and pilot, targeting could use a bit of tweaking, and adding the zylon mothership would be cool.

All in all, this game is A list stuff. I am having as much fun with it as Battlefront on the ps4. It is intense, demanding, pretty, and involving. Even the lower levels are significantly more white knuckle than the original.

Think this may become one of my favorite 8 bit games of all time. I cant wait to see what people do with the source code once it is released. The author was worried about the game being unfairly criticized.... But it is the sequel I have always wanted.

There is nothing else out there like it. Star Raiders and Elites long lost kid. Play it!

I just finished my first game of "The Real Star Raiders II" and I have to say, this is very impressive! I lost two star bases but still managed to take out Gort 1 and all the Zylons and still ended up making the rank of "Ace Class 2". I was playing on Novice.

The enemy AI of course just seems to buzz around in circles so obviously not completed there. I think what would make the planet battle easier would be to simply slow down the movement as you fly over the surface. In fact, it doesn't appear that your speed can be adjusted on the planet battle segment so perhaps if that were allowed, then slowing down to 1 or 2 would make it easier to target and take out the ground targets.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the fact that Hyperspace can be cancelled so easily. I noticed many times that I would select my destination on the galactic map, and immediately press Hyperwarp, but when switching to another view or long range, it would in fact cancel my hyperwarp. But I suppose when needed in battle it would be quite helpful.

This does need to be eventually released on a cart, and especially converted to run on a 5200. But it being such a large game I'm not sure that is possible? Either way, I'm very impressed and find this game even in its current state to be a ton of fun to play! I thank all involved in getting this game brought into the light and programmed by one of the masters behind one of my favorite adventure game series... the Secret of Monkey Island.

I have yet to download this and play it on real hardware, but based on the video and the comments here this is arguably the greatest classic prototype find of all time, certainly the greatest for the A8 family.

It's all so improbable - that someone working in the coin-op division of Atari would end up creating a worthy sequel to the granddaddy of all first-person space shooters, and that it would go undiscovered to this day. I'm just blown away at how many stories there are to tell about crazy things that happened at Atari.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 4

Played it, loved it...

I can still use my old SR tactics when playing this, even after so many years. It's frantic at first since the starbases are surrounded right away and you lose one right away. But after taking out most of them I took the time to fly down the planets for the first time...something I've aways wanted to see in a Star Raiders sequel since Solaris. There's one planet where you have to destroy all the factories/cities so it would have been nice to see the Zylons conquer more worlds later in the game had the game been finished.

Plus the graphics were amazing, even on the standard A8 graphic modes. I thought the drawn out ships would slow the game down compaired to the player sprites in the original, but it actually works well...

Highly recommended for any Star Raiders fan!

• Like 3

I'm not sure what it is about Star Raiders but I've never been that impressed by it. *ducks for cover*

On the 2600, yes. I can see how it could be regarded as a must-have game. But on the A8? Not so much, particularly when you consider what other computers had at the time. Still, nice to find a piece of hidden history.

I'm not sure what it is about Star Raiders but I've never been that impressed by it. *ducks for cover*

On the 2600, yes. I can see how it could be regarded as a must-have game. But on the A8? Not so much, particularly when you consider what other computers had at the time. Still, nice to find a piece of hidden history.

I'll use the thoughts of my mind back in 1988 or so when I first saw this game (Star Raiders 1). I thought that it was amazing, though I didn't understand how to play the game, it took a while to figure out as a kid, but when I had, I thought that it was pretty impressive.

Now I look at it and I see that it was a bit limited which thankfully Star Raiders 2 (this version) has built upon.

When I consider that the original was done in 8K, then I consider it phenomenal.

I've not yet got around to playing this version which I'll find time when I haven't had a bottle of wine. It looks impressive on YouTube though. It's pretty amazing looking considering when it was created. It reminds me a little of Elite but without the trading.

You have to remember it came out in 1979 and no other machine was capable of running the game until maybe '82. And it was a complete 3D space battle simulator. We used to play it two player, one flying while the other mans the control.

Play the fastdiv update of the original, but read the manual first. You'll see that the game still holds up (and it is only 8K!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6