IGNORED

AV Mod From Turkey Tips?

forrestsmith

Read a lot about the different AV modifications so I knew they might be hit or miss but decided to try this one after reading some positives about it. Installing it was straightforward, very easy compared to Atari 2600 S video mod I did. looks very well made but the picture looks worse than the RF. Colors are over saturated and solid back grounds look mottled or crawling or blotchy and the image is not near as sharp looking as the RF, I do not see anything I would call ghosting though. A positive is the sound is the sound is better than RF. Tried the color adjustment on the board and that does not help (It did make my RF picture look even a little better ;) ) Its real easy to see the difference when you have the Av and RF hooked up at the same time and you just have switch between video and channel three. Anything easy I could try before I take it out ? Read some about people taking the RF unit out, but I am not doing that.

Thanks

Forrest

Edited by forrestsmith

Read a lot about the different AV modifications so I knew they might be hit or miss but decided to try this one after reading some positives about it. Installing it was straightforward, very easy compared to Atari 2600 S video mod I did. looks very well made but the picture looks worse than the RF. Colors are over saturated and solid back grounds look mottled or crawling or blotchy and the image is not near as sharp looking as the RF, I do not see anything I would call ghosting though. A positive is the sound is the sound is better than RF. Tried the color adjustment on the board and that does not help (It did make my RF picture look even a little better ;) ) Its real easy to see the difference when you have the Av and RF hooked up at the same time and you just have switch between video and channel three. Anything easy I could try before I take it out ? Read some about people taking the RF unit out, but I am not doing that.

Thanks

Forrest

you cant just remove the rf without doing a shunt mod cause it loses the voltage it needs for composite. Weird that it is bad. Did you try on another tv? Some newer tv's have an absolute garbage composite. My 50" plasma has a terrible composite but looks great on other tv's Edited by pimpmaul69

Yeah the mod that guy in Turkey is the Intellivsion wiki composite mod. I have no ideal how that mod works for anybody I've tried it on multiple units on different TV's and get a horrid picture with a ton of interference. I also have tried it with the modulator in and out with no discernible difference in it's picture quality.

My results

post-37192-0-68656600-1450176412_thumb.jpg

Yea that's a similar look to my title screen. I took it out last and put the S V A back together. I might mess with again if I find parts Intellivision to experiment on. It does seem to be a case of "one size fits some" There is so many different versions of the AV mods. Some work great on some and the same mod may not work at all on another. If it looked as good as the RF I would have left it because the sound is definitely better.

Forrest

It worked out good for me.. you can see my screen shots of the AV Mod from turkey over in the Carol HSC thread and they don't do it justice, it looks nicer in person. It's not 100% perfect but maybe 95-98% depending on the game. The convenience of being able to hook it in with my other systems on a AV switch box and drastic improvement in sound quality are are major bonuses for me.

I think everybody's Inty is a little different and one would have to play around with different component values to get the optimal picture quality. Unfortunetely we still don't know why this happens but luckily there's the RGB kit to install, eliminating all of that anyway. I hope to get one soon..

It worked out good for me.. you can see my screen shots of the AV Mod from turkey over in the Carol HSC thread and they don't do it justice, it looks nicer in person. It's not 100% perfect but maybe 95-98% depending on the game. The convenience of being able to hook it in with my other systems on a AV switch box and drastic improvement in sound quality are are major bonuses for me.

Exactly. It's not 100% perfect but it does the job. On mine for example the dark reds are a little on the pink side, but it's better than having to have a TV that does RF out all the time.

• Like 1

Yea that's a similar look to my title screen. I took it out last and put the S V A back together. I might mess with again if I find parts Intellivision to experiment on. It does seem to be a case of "one size fits some" There is so many different versions of the AV mods. Some work great on some and the same mod may not work at all on another. If it looked as good as the RF I would have left it because the sound is definitely better.

Forrest

different versions of the av mod isnt the problem. Its different versions of the intv motherboard. Some are better than others. There is a board version i found in a sears that i cant even do a system changer mod on because it was changed too much. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

different versions of the av mod isnt the problem. Its different versions of the intv motherboard. Some are better than others. There is a board version i found in a sears that i cant even do a system changer mod on because it was changed too much.

Guess that's what I meant. Different mods because the Intellivision are different.

Forrest