IGNORED

Chaotic Grill (BurgerTime remake) in progress

splendidnut

Alright, I'm not making any promises, but I think I have the infinite end_of_round issue fixed.... and the ChefLives counter should now be working as a lives-in-reserve counter.

Let me know if that's not the case.

Also, switching back to the old way of doing the file names to make sure Stella and potentially other emulators know the TV mode to use.

Enjoy!

NTSC:

chaoticGrill_20221128_NTSC.bin

PAL60:

chaoticGrill_20221128_PAL60.bin

• Like 8

2 hours ago, splendidnut said:

Alright, I'm not making any promises, but I think I have the infinite end_of_round issue fixed.... and the ChefLives counter should now be working as a lives-in-reserve counter.

Both seem to be working as expected! :thumbsup:  One thing to note is that you now get 4 lives instead of 3 since the # is now the # of reserves; not sure if that is intended or if you want it to be 3 lives (in which case your reserve # should be set to 2 at game start).

A couple small issues potentially.  One is that the pepper timer doesn't seem to work (although I'm not sure how long it's supposed to stay displayed).  Most of the time I would purposefully wait to see how long it would stay and it never disappeared.

One other issue that *may* be a bug; it seems that when you're dropping a burger piece with enemies on it and get killed while it's still dropping, the burger pieces continue to fall but the enemies don't (they'll be suspended in mid air).  Not sure what happens on the arcade but figured I'd mention it.

Thanks!

John

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Chaotic Grill on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

A couple small issues potentially.  One is that the pepper timer doesn't seem to work (although I'm not sure how long it's supposed to stay displayed).  Most of the time I would purposefully wait to see how long it would stay and it never disappeared.

Yup, I see that too... It seems the bonus item timer only works IF the number of pieces stacked at the bottom doesn't change while the timer is running.  Somehow I missed that case EVERY time I tested it.  I need to fix the code to keep better track of things.

35 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

One other issue that *may* be a bug; it seems that when you're dropping a burger piece with enemies on it and get killed while it's still dropping, the burger pieces continue to fall but the enemies don't (they'll be suspended in mid air).

Yeah, the player and the enemy logic currently get shutdown when death or end_of_level condition is triggered.  I may or may not look into that depending on how crazy I go with my optimization attempts in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Good catch!  I forgot about checking that.

Currently, the burger drop count has a max count of 7 platforms (it's limited to a 3 bit counter).  So, when all 4 enemies are on a piece that drops (2 per enemy), the drop count ends up being set to zero.  The code will always allow a piece to fall down by at least one platform when dropped.

I just tried capping the drop count to 7... but that only drops 7, so I need to do some other code adjustments to get that extra drop.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quite nice indeed, but, there is an issue at game's end it freezes, and does not take you back to the main menu nor the title screen, that has to be cleared up but I do enjoy the new title screen and faster play, but the time length of the availability of the bonus peppers needs to be reverted back to where it was in the WIP version, it's too short now, but I do love the new port other than those two quirks.

I probably won't revert back to the old bonus pepper timer.  The old code made the game TOO easy, since you could easily rack up more pepper by just waiting around for it.  The new version works based on the count of plated burger pieces and should be more inline with how the arcade works.  It's a feature, not a quirk.

The missing "return to menu after game-over" feature is an oversight, and something I'll fix.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm glad you saw the part where it didn't revert back to the title screen after the game ended. As for the bonus pepper timing I'll get myself used to it, but I knew 4 years ago when I first played one of the earlier WIPs that this game was gonna be something and that it indeed has.

Edited by BIGHMW

• 10 months later...

Glad you enjoyed it!  I do have updates sitting around, but they're mostly to the level editor.  I'd like to get that to a mostly working / finished state before I think about posting another update.

Cart release may or may not happen in the coming year.  So, yes, there is a chance, but I make no guarantees.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

A couple of months ago, I had a few people contact me regarding this project and wanting to see it published/released on cart, so, after Christmas and throughout January, I did a bunch of work.

So, so here's what I've done:

- Mostly completed the level editor.
 - Rewrote a lot of the titlescreen code... and added a text engine to it.
 - Added a menu
 - Added credits screen
 - Added highscore table (currently shared between difficulty settings)
 - Added difficulty setting
 - Fixed a bunch of scoring bugs
 - Tweaked scoreboard: changed flickering technique, added 'GAMEOVER' text.

I've thought a lot about improving the sprite flicker management... but, unless someone else wants to work on it and thinks they can do something with it, I'm not too worried about it.  I've had a bunch of false starts, but I think I just don't have the motivation to do anything with it.

I'd like to lower the scanline count (currently it's 267), but I'm not sure how doable that is either.

------

Ultimately, this feels very close to completion now.  Adding the menu and the difficulty options were the real tipping point for me.  I've started work on adding Savekey support... but that'll probably be available only for the released version.

Please try out the level editor and let me know what you think.  I know of one big bug with it:  When switching into the editor from the game, it will load a fresh copy of level 1, losing any changes that were made.   But, besides that and some other polish, I think the editor works fairly well.

Anyways, enjoy!

NTSC:

chaoticGrill-20240303_NTSC.bin

PAL60:

chaoticGrill-20240303_PAL60.bin

Level Editor doc:

Chaotic Grill - Level Editor - 20240303.txt

• Like 11

3 hours ago, splendidnut said:

A couple of months ago, I had a few people contact me regarding this project and wanting to see it published/released on cart, so, after Christmas and throughout January, I did a bunch of work.

So, so here's what I've done:

- Mostly completed the level editor.
 - Rewrote a lot of the titlescreen code... and added a text engine to it.
 - Added a menu
 - Added credits screen
 - Added highscore table (currently shared between difficulty settings)
 - Added difficulty setting
 - Fixed a bunch of scoring bugs
 - Tweaked scoreboard: changed flickering technique, added 'GAMEOVER' text.

Looking great Philip! :thumbsup:  I played a few games and didn't notice any bugs - plays great!  I'll play some more and report any issues.  

I've thought a lot about improving the sprite flicker management... but, unless someone else wants to work on it and thinks they can do something with it, I'm not too worried about it.  I've had a bunch of false starts, but I think I just don't have the motivation to do anything with it.

I think the sprite management is pretty good.  I'd give it a shot if I hadn't gotten soft the last 10 years using sprite management using the ARM. 🦾 :P 

-----

Ultimately, this feels very close to completion now.  Adding the menu and the difficulty options were the real tipping point for me.  I've started work on adding Savekey support... but that'll probably be available only for the released version.

Agreed, this is feeling very close to release.  Great job!  Savekey support would be a good option.  I usually only include it in my released versions as well.  :thumbsup:  

Please try out the level editor and let me know what you think.  I know of one big bug with it:  When switching into the editor from the game, it will load a fresh copy of level 1, losing any changes that were made.   But, besides that and some other polish, I think the editor works fairly well.

Once I'm done playing :) I'll take the level editor for a spin and let you know how it goes.  Thanks for putting that together!  It will add a lot of replayability to the game... it was a cool feature I added to Wizard of Wor Arcade.  Do you plan on including any extra built-in levels?  For WoW I held a contest and picked the top 3 to include in the game (and included credit in the manual for the winners). :idea: 

Anyways, enjoy!

Great job!  BT has always been one of my favorites and being able to play an excellent version on the 2600 is wonderful!  (plus you saved me the time of having to make it myself :P )

Thanks,

John

• Like 2

Awesome to see more work being done on this game!  I just wrote an article for Old School Gamer on BurgerTime and I did mention this clone.  I wrote that development had stalled but I'm glad I was mistaken!  This is an awesome port of BT for the 2600! 

• Like 1