IGNORED

Chaotic Grill (BurgerTime remake) in progress

splendidnut

Just now, bent_pin said:

You can still download it anyway.

Google Chrome won't allow it, it still blocks my attempts at downloading it. any ideas on how to override this bullshit???

10 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I changes from "standard protection" to "no protection", downloaded it successfully and then switched it back

Why?

I do not allow Google to control my life.

image.png.96446f784458851df1db307cddb33ad5.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

Shifting things back to the topic at hand.  If anybody has any feedback on the game / current state of the game, please provide it here.

I know there is still a lurking scanline count issue affecting PAL60... in the editor this time.  The editor uses the same display kernel as the game but replaces the scoreboard with a menu.  The timing is tight here, so it needs a bit more tweaking.

There are probably a few things with the menu/editor UI that might be non-intuitive, please let me know what they are.  Any suggestions or ideas on how to do things better in this area would also be welcome.

Played this for the first time today on my 7800 via Harmony cart. It is addictive! Great work!

Two things I noticed and not sure if they are intentional or missed:

1. On the second screen, I walked over the bun on the left-most burger while a pickle and a hot dog were chasing me. it fell all the way to the bottom. When they woke up from their fall, instead of going back up the right way by following the platforms/ladders, they both just started walking straight up through blank space on a non-existent ladder.

2. The amount of flicker is super distracting. I get that with the 2600 you are severely limited in how many simultaneous objects/players/missiles you can place on the screen, so flicker rates are a way to cheat and add more, but in some cases the score at the top would disappear completely for seconds at a time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

1. On the second screen, I walked over the bun on the left-most burger while a pickle and a hot dog were chasing me. it fell all the way to the bottom. When they woke up from their fall, instead of going back up the right way by following the platforms/ladders, they both just started walking straight up through blank space on a non-existent ladder.

I believe I have the code set for them to pick the direction based on what side of the burger piece they are on.  They will walk to that 'ladder' column.  Then, regardless of whether there is a ladder or not, they will climb back up until they reach a platform.  And finally, they will go back to roaming the level towards the player.

Do you remember which direction they headed before climbing back up to the level? 

10 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

2. The amount of flicker is super distracting. I get that with the 2600 you are severely limited in how many simultaneous objects/players/missiles you can place on the screen, so flicker rates are a way to cheat and add more, but in some cases the score at the top would disappear completely for seconds at a time.

The scoreboard is displayed at a continuous 30hz flicker rate and should never disappear completely.  It sounds like that might be a display issue on your end.  To be fair, this game does use a higher than normal scanline count, and that might be a contributing factor.

Glad you're enjoying it and Thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, splendidnut said:

I believe I have the code set for them to pick the direction based on what side of the burger piece they are on.  They will walk to that 'ladder' column.  Then, regardless of whether there is a ladder or not, they will climb back up until they reach a platform.  And finally, they will go back to roaming the level towards the player.

Do you remember which direction they headed before climbing back up to the level? 

The scoreboard is displayed at a continuous 30hz flicker rate and should never disappear completely.  It sounds like that might be a display issue on your end.  To be fair, this game does use a higher than normal scanline count, and that might be a contributing factor.

Glad you're enjoying it and Thanks for the feedback!

1. I don't remember the direction they headed. I just noticed when they were floating up the invisible ladder.

2. It very likely is a display issue on my end. I'm using a 7800 that is UAV modded going s-video to a retrotink mini, into a Samsung QLED. It is running in "Game Mode" but he scanlines thing could be a contributing factor. Games like Starmaster won't display on it because of their odd scanline count.

But seriously - this is GREAT work. Super fun and very arcade accurate.

• Like 2

I also love the improvements on this upload, @splendidnut addressed the issues the last upload had with the new update, this by far is better than even the late Ken Siders’ versions of Beef Drop, the burger pieces are more colorful on Chaotic Grill than the more pale ones on Beef Drop, I think if someone can improve the color scheme and/or richness on Beef Drop I would probably play it just as much, the same thing also for the 7800 version as well.

Played the last PAL build: 

- the „sprinkle pepper“ animation still plays even if man died (maybe correct but looks strange to me)

- I played a lot but only once the screen rolls shortly: 4 baddies fall of which two were peppered and 2 were not

- 4 baddies followed me closely and I made them fall (I thought) but only one falls (the others went further), I couldn’t reproduce it…

What I noticed (and is great): if you made one baddie fall and he falls with the burger part, he waits a moment then he recovers and continues running - before he recovers (and stands still) you can touch him/walk over him and can make him fall again (if you‘re fast enough and a burger part is underneath). 

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Chaotic Grill on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 4

Just had a quick play through on the Retron77 with Stella 6.6

WOW! Well done. Always loved the arcade version of Burger Time and this plays so closely to it; the maps, the dynamics of game play.

So satisfying being able to enter my initials on the high score!
Amazing job so far. Keep it up!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:35 PM, splendidnut said:

Nothing has been started in regards to a manual or artwork for a cartridge release.  I'm not really an artist, so I'll need to find someone willing/able to do that.

This port is amazing, I can't believe it's only twice the cart size of the original version.

Here's some placeholder art :)

chaoticgrill4.jpg

chaoticg5.jpg

• Like 4