IGNORED

Chaotic Grill (BurgerTime remake) in progress

splendidnut

@SpiceWare

Thanks. That might be something to look into... that and possibly upgrading to the newest Stella.

I thought I was using the newest Stella, 5.0.0-pre4, though I see pre5 was released yesterday! I just downloaded the source, so I can migrate the BUS and CDF bankswitch support to it, and ran Chaos Chaotic Grill again:

post-3056-0-85798700-1488732599_thumb.png

Edited by SpiceWare

@SpiceWare

I probably should have phrased that better... I meant that I probably should upgrade to the latest stella.

I did find the issues with the initialization after turning those randomizing settings on. It seems that the code was going off into la la land. I fixed the code and it seems to be running better... except on real hardware... and by real hardware, I mean the Harmony Cart in my 7800. I'll have to dig out my 2600 and try it on that.

Anyways,

Here is an updated version with the initialization fixed, and the beginnings of the burger drop logic in the code.

chaoticGrill-2017-03-05.bin

• Like 1

Nice!

post-3056-0-27102800-1488756355_thumb.png

Hmm - yep, it crashes on hardware. I took a look at the code in Stella:

post-3056-0-52309500-1488758415_thumb.png

and most likely this (or another instance like it) was the issue

dey
beq LF351 
lda #<DF4DATA

The 6502 will always fetch the instruction following a branch, even if the branch is taken. The older DPC+ driver would see LDA # and, if fast fetch was turned on, perform fast fetch logic. That would cause the crash if the branch was taken. batari figured out a way for the driver to handle that situation.

So I suspected you used an older version of the DPC+.arm file and swapped it out* for this one:

DPC+20121020.arm.zip

and it now runs correctly:

post-3056-0-20947500-1488758185_thumb.jpg

Updated game ROM:

newcg.bin

* I used these terminal instructions on my Mac to remove the driver you used and put the newer one in its place. They'll also work in Linux:

dd skip=3 count=29 if=chaoticGrill-2017-03-05.bin of=cg29K.bin bs=1024
cat DPC+20121020.arm cg29K.bin > newcg.bin
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

So a minor status update: I've started working on eliminating as much flicker as possible with the sprites. I've started by re-vamping the display kernel and adding in all the re-positioning kernels required. This is turning out to be a bit of a pain... I've gotten all the re-positioning kernels done, but I've basically run out of cycles to use for updating the DPC+ registers in mid-draw. I'm thinking I'll need to change the sprites/PM graphics to work similar to how the ANTIC/GTIA works. So, I'll have a sprite buffer as tall as the screen in the DPC+ Display Data area and basically pre-render the sprites into it, so that the only thing I need to worry about is changing the position between sprites. Although... I'll need to sort the sprites and figure out any kind of flicker multiplexing which now will be more complicated....

This is the point at which I ask, "What have I gotten myself into?" :)

So, I'll have a sprite buffer as tall as the screen in the DPC+ Display Data area and basically pre-render the sprites into it, so that the only thing I need to worry about is changing the position between sprites. Although... I'll need to sort the sprites and figure out any kind of flicker multiplexing which now will be more complicated....

That's exactly how I do it in Space Rocks and Draconian, though I'm using ARM code to handle the multiplexing and update the datastreams.

DPC+ does have a copy function which you'd be able to use to fill your datastreams from 6507 code. I've not used them myself though.

That's exactly how I do it in Space Rocks and Draconian, though I'm using ARM code to handle the multiplexing and update the datastreams.

DPC+ does have a copy function which you'd be able to use to fill your datastreams from 6507 code. I've not used them myself though.

I'll admit that I've been slowly pulling ideas from your development blogs... poorly. :)

I believe it is your Draconian code snippets that I was using as a reference when doing all the mid-scanline kernels. After I was done, I randomly discovered the chart (for Stay Frosty 2... maybe?) you had originally used to figure out your timings for all the mid-scanline kernels, which would have been nice to have when I started.

I might end up using the Copy function... I'm not sure yet. I still seem to have ample time available outside the drawing kernel.

Thank you for writing all those blogs, they are quite handy. :)

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to this. It looks very promising so far. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup: :-D

Ditto, I love me some Burgertime and your version has been one of the nicest looking ones around. :D

Thanks for the compliments! I'm hoping to keep my motivation going... and try to get this done in the near future. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments! I'm hoping to keep my motivation going... and try to get this done in the near future. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

No problem man! You deserve the compliments. If there's one game I'm really excited about seeing finished, it's this one. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Has there been any updates on this?

splendidnut - your BT was brought up in the last Zeropage Homebrew show and there's alot of interest in this being completed!

• Like 1

The short story is no. After last summer, I got busy with other things and the project was thrown on the back burner. I did some work back in January, surprisingly, which involved improving the player movement logic... which I've started working a bit this morning.

It's now in a very good state. The player appears to properly obey the level layout. Now if I can get the enemies to follow suit... That'd be enough progress for me to share another build. We will see what today brings.

As a side note... Back in March, I was contacted by another homebrew developer who was/is very interested in doing a Burgertime remake. Whether this person wants to reveal themselves or not, is up to them.

So it's quite possible there will be a Burgertime remake in the near future... whether it's this one, or that one.

splendidnut - your BT was brought up in the last Zeropage Homebrew show and there's alot of interest in this being completed!

Well that's interesting... Do you happen to have a reference for that mention in Zeropage Homebrew? I'd be interested in seeing it. I kind of went looking for it thru one of the videos... skimmed it a bit... but didn't stumble upon it I will say that Zeropage Homebrews is a very neat concept.

• Like 4