IGNORED

Odyssey/Videopac Community

SSG

Has anyone ever noticed that the Odyssey/Videopac community is very tiny compared to the Intellivison and Colecovision communities. I wonder if it is because the console is just not that popular among gamers or that the game library just didn't have enough hard hitting games as the others? Also, ever notice that there is alot of "brotherhoods" on this website also? It seems that just about every console that has its own forum has a brotherhood. Are we just not a tight community or is there really a small amount of us?

Post what you think below! I am interested in all opinions.

• Like 1

I just bought my Odyssey 2 this past September. The console which is in great shape but the hardwired controllers needed to be replaced and I did, plus 13 games for $40! I really enjoy it and have been playing KC Munchkin, KC's Krazy Chase, UFO, and Alien Invaders Plus for hours. Should definetley be a brotherhood and I am down for it. One of the most underrated consoles that has a great underground fanbase today.

• Like 4

There were never many Odyssey 2 players. I remember writing to game manufacturers like Parker Brothers and Activision asking them to make their games for the O2 back in the early 1980s. Predictably, they told me that as much as they liked the Odyssey, there weren't enough potential customers to make it profitable. The number of Odyssey players has likely gone down since then.

I wish I still had those letters!

If you called it a brotherhood AND sisterhood, you'd double your chances of finding other people to play with. Unfortunately, double nothing is still nothing.

There were never many Odyssey 2 players. I remember writing to game manufacturers like Parker Brothers and Activision asking them to make their games for the O2 back in the early 1980s. Predictably, they told me that as much as they liked the Odyssey, there weren't enough potential customers to make it profitable. The number of Odyssey players has likely gone down since then.

I wish I still had those letters!

If you called it a brotherhood AND sisterhood, you'd double your chances of finding other people to play with. Unfortunately, double nothing is still nothing.

Honestly I don't think we need a brotherhood. There are too many of them. Just look at peoples signatures. We need something unique since we all love this unique console.

• Like 1

Well, I guess that's true when you compare it to the INTV forums, but there still are more than a few people who like to play it.

Yeah. I can see that. It just seems that there is an overall more active amount of posters on the Intelly, and coleco forums compared to this one. I was trying to create some hype and make things here a little more active than they are. Of course I could always just move to a dedicated forum website for this stuff. It is just a little convenient for this forum to be here.

No, don't do that, we need more people who enjoy the Odyssey 2 on this forum as well.

So what could we do to make this forum a bit more active? I don't think having a "brotherhood" would help, but something more open like a User group or something. Beyond that idea we could try a High Score Club type ordeal? I'm open to any ideas!

I think the OD2 community is growing (at least in the states). I know back in the day that OD2 was out shined by the 2600, but there was still a large installed base at the time. I think that is why it's easy to find OD2 stuff on ebay. People like to say it wasn't popular, but if it was as rare as people make it out to be, you wouldn't be able to buy that stuff so easily. Heck, growing up I remember at least two other households that had an OD2 besides us and I only knew of one Atari 2600 household at the time (circa 1979/80). Of course that's right before the atari 2600 really took off because of Space Invaders.

• Like 1

I think the safest route if we decide do a "brotherhood" is to just say. "Member of the O2/VP Community". It is a neutral name I think all O2/VP users can agree on.

Unless someone has another idea?

(Edited to fix spelling errors.)

Edited by SonicSageGamer

I've had my Odyssey 1 & 2 for decades, been looking forward to an O2 HSC for awhile now.

Totally agree on doing an O2 High Score club. And it will provide a greater challenge as you have one life in most of the games. I am so up for this.

So if you look back into the older threads in this forum you can see that there once was a O2 HSC but it failed. I think our main challenge is going to be trying to figure out what games the majority of us have (Even though we can use emulators).

I would love to be a part of a Odyssey 2 'brotherhood ' but I have no idea what they necessarily do exactly. I been thinking of starting an Odyssey 2 gaming group on Facebook. I would have to gauge interest so it doesn't die out. Also try and come up with way to keep it fresh and interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would love to be a part of a Odyssey 2 'brotherhood ' but I have no idea what they necessarily do exactly. I been thinking of starting an Odyssey 2 gaming group on Facebook. I would have to gauge interest so it doesn't die out. Also try and come up with way to keep it fresh and interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post the Link here. You know what they say. If you build it, they will come!

Many people seem to forget that the o2 was on par with the 2600 the first 2 years. Games on the 2600 didn't look that more better then the o2 games did. But after these first years, and after the massive support of third party developers things took of on the 2600 side. Resulting in better looking games, because of better programming.

I think that if the o2 had had the same support form other developers, it to would have had better looking games, just look at the graphics of revival studio games to see what the o2 is capable of.

• Like 5