IGNORED

Edladdin Controllers - Announcements for 2016

edladdin

Ideal but probably not enough space . Needing space for a keypad and start ,pause,reset buttons also . To have a dual twin arcade controller with self centering analogue to play Space Dungeon , Robotron , and "every" game for the 5200 would be awesome .

lol... That does sound awesome! To paraphrase Brody in Jaws, "We're going to need a bigger box!"

A project that someone on here attempted, but doesn't appear to have finished, is using the Wiimote nunchuk with the 2600. Thinking about it, I'd love seeing this as an option for the 7800 (and even 5200)

I know I'd certainly buy for the 78 or 5200

I had not considered this - the CX53s are such masterpieces and still run so well!

Ah, but think about this one, Ed… A 3+ fire button version of the CX53 that with various switches - or a chip - would work with the 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari 8-bit, STE/Falcon/Jaguar, etc. I'm sure you could get Dan Kramer to consult on it. The Dan Kramer signature Trak-Ball...

Hell, at Sony's behest, he consulted at the last minute on that 3rd party trackball controller for the Sony Playstation so the Atari Greatest Hits arcade titles would work with it properly...

• Like 1

A project that someone on here attempted, but doesn't appear to have finished, is using the Wiimote nunchuk with the 2600. Thinking about it, I'd love seeing this as an option for the 7800 (and even 5200)

Wasn't that blowhard Ralf character with the crummy soldering skills promoting that? He posts all the time over in the Atari Museum Facebook page.

I've done that, but people stopped being interested in my hardware projects like this, so I put it aside, just like the PS1 adapter. Hey, at least iesposta is enjoying one of the PS1 adapters. :)

• Like 1

I don't mean to de-rail the thread any further, but I thought the PS1/PS2 adapter was a really cool idea, CPUWIZ. One of the things I wish the 7800 had was a pause button on the controller, like the 5200 has. I was thinking about programming BB to support that, once I got far enough.

Okiday, back on topic: your controllers look epic, Edladdin, and the Supreme 78 is on my "think about possibly getting" list, for when I either find my/buy a new 7800. They look really well made, and I really can't resist getting an arcade-style controller with green buttons and ball-knob. (Not that green's my favorite color, or anything... :grin:)

• Like 3

The Coleco Flashback controllers are not compatible with the Coleco Vision. They got the pinout wrong.

In the course of working on our upcoming "Seagull CV" controller adapter for the Colecovision, we learned that the Flashback controllers handle the keypad data totally differently than the vintage units - that it was more than just rerouting the pinouts. The 1982 console was a simple diode-controlled maxtrix keypad (just like a CX50 Atari keyboard controller), but the Flashback Colecovision sends signals that are interpreted by the console. Getting both Coleco controllers (as well as the Atari 2600/7800 and Sega Genesis controllers) to talk with both consoles was a real puzzle!

post-40253-0-49279200-1452119600_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-94996700-1452119616_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't mean to de-rail the thread any further, but I thought the PS1/PS2 adapter was a really cool idea, CPUWIZ. One of the things I wish the 7800 had was a pause button on the controller, like the 5200 has. I was thinking about programming BB to support that, once I got far enough.

Okiday, back on topic: your controllers look epic, Edladdin, and the Supreme 78 is on my "think about possibly getting" list, for when I either find my/buy a new 7800. They look really well made, and I really can't resist getting an arcade-style controller with green buttons and ball-knob. (Not that green's my favorite color, or anything... :grin:)

We've got plenty of green! :-)

post-40253-0-95246700-1452119976_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just received this the other day and put my own Atari vinyl sticker on it . Hopefully one day soon Space Dungeon can be made for the 7800 !

That's a GREAT idea! For me, Space Dungeon is one of the "Hall of Fame" killer app games for the 5200, with countless hours spent stealing treasure as a kid.

PS: The vinyl Atari sticker looks great!

Edited by edladdin

I have a question . Are you able to get silent Sanwa joysticks versus the clicky ones on your controllers ? I would consider putting money down ahead of time for these Colecovision controllers if so .

The "silent" ones are signficantly more expensive than the regular JLF's, but if you want to pay for the upgrade I would be happy to install one for you!

One compromise... Apparently part of the sound containment on the "silent" microswitches comes with a different type of restrictor plate that cannot be upgraded with the octagonal inserts we usually use. So you'll gain a little quiet but lose the 8 vertex plate. Whether this matters will depend on how many maze and horizontal sliders games you play.

The Coleco Kickstarter campaign is very near launching! The project is currently under review by Kickstarter to verify we have met all of their rules and requirements. It would be ideal if you could make your pre-order through the campaign, then we can settle any changes/upgrades after the fact.

Thank you!!!

• 9 months later...

Apologies for bumping up a long dormant topic, but does anyone know a reliable way to get ahold of Edladdin? I tried sending him a PM about an order 3 days ago but it doesn't appear that he's read it, so I was wondering if there was a better way to get in touch with him?

Edited by Jin