IGNORED

Mateos Rewritable Videopac Multigame Cartridge

jfmateos

I have developed a card able to hold up to 16 Videopac games.

This card must be used in combination with my USB burner, that is also compatible with Vectrex, Watara/Supervision and Atari Lynx rewritable cartridges.

You can find more information in my website: http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org

videopac_card_baja.jpg

You can play all official games (including 59+ Helicopter Rescue and 60+ Trans American Rally) except 31 and 40.

12kb games (55 and 58) must be prepended with 4kb of data to make them 16kb (you can do it using any Hex editor, like HxD).

Although the burner can detect the size of the rom (exactly 2k, 4K, 8K or 16k) to apply the proper bankswitching scheme, you can also force a bankswitching scheme through the file extension of the rom (this can be useful for homebrew developers):

• vp0 - 2k
  • vp1 - 4k
  • vp2 - 8k
  • vp3 - 16k

Vectrex Roli has published a nice YouTube review.

Is there something special about games 31 and 40?

I could see 31 Musician having added ROM or RAM for piano samples, but 40 is just a "4 in a row" game?

Anyway Musician kinda need the piano overlay, and 40 is a common game so it's not a big deal. But I'm curious about what make those two special, compared to all other games.

Edited by CatPix

Is there something special about games 31 and 40?

I could see 31 Musician having added ROM or RAM for piano samples, but 40 is just a "4 in a row" game?

Anyway Musician kinda need the piano overlay, and 40 is a common game so it's not a big deal. But I'm curious about what make those two special, compared to all other games.

They use the A10 address line.

There isn't any kind of region locking on the O2/Videopac. I can play Voice games (that are US only games) on my Videopac.

I think JFMateos will ship to the US as well.

My concern was shipping. So I can buy PAL Videopac games and they will work like US games too?

Mostly.

The Videopac/O2 display is unlike most consoles, but there is still a 50/60 htz issue.

My US games usually have odd graphical glitches at the low end of the screen but remain playable (and from what I've seen, play at the same speed) My guess is that the Videopac expect a larger programmed playfield (euro consoles always have a slightly taller display field) so with an US game, it fill the low end of the screen with garbage as it doesn't know what to do of it.

I have no idea about how a PAL game will behave on an US console.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...