IGNORED

PC interface for the Adam Keyboard

intvdave

I now have the "finished" product. The prototype has been connected and powered on for weeks now and has been working flawlessly. I now need to do this same with this board. Once it passes the time test, a few should be able to be released. The prototype will become availalbe also.

I have yet to do this but this board should fit nicely inside the keyboard. I am hoping the usb jack fits nicely where the RJ-12 connector is.

attachicon.gifadam_interface.jpg

That's great! I would most certainly use this as my default keyboard for my RetroPie!

NIAD, would you please contact Scott Gordon as you probably know him. I am not the one to host a webpage as I am an Intellivision guy. Maybe Nanochess is the right person for this?

I tried to install the keyboard interface into the keyboard case but the RJ-12 connector gets in the way. The interface could be side mounted but that would require making a hole into the keyboard case which I do not want to do. I will keep the interface external. I have an aluminum case ordered.

NIAD, would you please contact Scott Gordon as you probably know him. I am not the one to host a webpage as I am an Intellivision guy. Maybe Nanochess is the right person for this?

I tried to install the keyboard interface into the keyboard case but the RJ-12 connector gets in the way. The interface could be side mounted but that would require making a hole into the keyboard case which I do not want to do. I will keep the interface external. I have an aluminum case ordered.

Someone else will have to contact Scott as it's no going to be me... long story and don't need to vent here.

The interface will fit into this case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151314890044?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My only issue is now cutting out the ends.

Thank you to nanochess, CoolCV supports mapping the Adam keys. With this, I have configured the Adam interface to have the keyboard work as a PC/Mac keyboard. The Wild Card key acts as the ALT/Control key. The Undo key acts as the Windows/Apple key. The Adam I-VI keys will act as F7-F12 when combined with shift.

There is an issue with AdamEM where the Wild Card and Undo keys both act as the Undo key. This is not a show stopper for me. How much is the Wild Card key used in Adam programs? At least all the other keys work included the HOME + arrow combinations.

It is a good thing there is not much interest in this. Only 7 more will be made. I will be putting up a webpage for it soon to sell them once they become availabe. The webpage will contain supporting files to help those that get it use CoolCV and AdamEM and documentation on what the keys are.

I am hoping we will see a review of it here soon....

• Like 1

I was thinking there might be more interest in the interface but it seem that there are about 6 people interested in it. I doubt the price will be $20. I am hoping it does not go over $50. At $50, we may lose some people but this is not about making money; just about people, including myself, enjoying the nostalgia. I am hoping for it to be available by the summer.

I'm still likely in at any 'reasonable' price. :) I'm also interested in the Ultimate PC interface, so maybe I can combine the order to save a buck or two on shipping? ;-)

I have seen one of those interfaces selling before. Ask at this website. They may still have one.

http://ann.hollowdreams.com/

My interface is meant for the PC. The reason is because I wanted to be able to use the Adam keyboard again without the printer and console.

For those interested in getting an interface, I have a webpage up. It may be a few months before they are available. There will be 7 availalbe I think 2 or 3 are already spoken for. If you want to get on the list, contact me. The initial price will be $50 + shipping.

http://www.intellivision.us/adam_intfc/adam_intfc.php

do you think a usb or ps2 keyboard to adam computer could be possible... it should since i own the colecovision keyboard adapter but it can not be use as a adam keyboard... please say yes

There were a number of people that converted PC compatible keyboards (you know, the type with the large DIN plug) to be used on the ADAM and I think Bob Slopsema still has one available that never sold on eBay. Aside from that, I could never figure out why people spent the time to do so BITD because the ADAM keyboard was/is very nice, was available everywhere and usually sold for around $20. Even now, you can acquire an ADAM keyboard fairly easily thru Bob or Rich Clee in Canada.

Edited by NIAD

There were a number of people that converted PC compatible keyboards (you know, the type with the large DIN plug) to be used on the ADAM and I think Bob Slopsema still has one available that never sold on eBay. Aside from that, I could never figure out why people spent the time to do so BITD because the ADAM keyboard was/is very nice, was available everywhere and usually sold for around $20. Even now, you can acquire an ADAM keyboard fairly easily thru Bob or Rich Clee in Canada.

i have adam keyboard but my memory console is now black and i want a black keyboard to go with it... to paint the keyboard in black will be a real pain....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

is it possible to have the LOCK key only capslock letters, and not act as shift being pressed for every key? so, any key that's not A through Z should be unaffected.

Isn't that like using Doc Brown's DeLorean to go back to 1962 and trying to order a Big Mac at McDonald's? :D

is it possible to have the LOCK key only capslock letters, and not act as shift being pressed for every key? so, any key that's not A through Z should be unaffected.

No. That is how the keyboard works. The interface translates exactly what the keyboard is doing. The CAPS lock does not work as a computer CapLock key. CAPS is really a combination key with another key. CONTROL is another combination key.

In other words, pressing CONTROL does not transmit that the CONTROL key is pressed; only when in combination with another key.

The CAPS key activates the SHIFT function when a key is pressed.

Not every key works on the Adam keyboard. An example would be pressing the control key in combination with another key. Not every key works in combination with the control key. All the letters do along with 2, 6, and few symbol keys and the arrow keys.

Combination keys specific to the Adam keyboard are HOME+arrow and two arrow keys triggering/translating to keypad numbers on the PC.

Just as a comment, the only way to solve what you want would be to make the number keys work the same as normal or shifted but then you would lose the symbols of the number keys.