IGNORED

Christmas Came Early...

Opry99er

Today I received a rather inconspicuous package in the mail. Just your average box that has been re-used a couple of times. I was expecting it, but nothing is like Christmas day, when you open those packages.... Except, today.... was pretty dang close. :)

20151218_210443_zpsdhp88mzs.jpg

I opened the box slowly, because I wanted to drink it in. One flap at a time, letting the anticipation grow and seeing the bright colors poke through on each flip of the flap.

When I had it all the way opened, a beautiful sight awaited me---something I expected but (in a way) could not have been prepared for.

20151218_210503_zpst5nvfdb5.jpg

I did not start rifling through them all at once. I carefully picked up each box, surveyed its contents, inspected the flaps, the overlays, the manuals.... You can't tear through Christmas all at once... otherwise your presents will all be buried underneath discarded wrapping paper and cardboard boxes bound for the landfill. I savored each game.

20151218_232127_zpsdkhkrapi.jpg

20151218_215726_zpsjjl5qh5c.jpg

20151218_215735_zpsalb40bjn.jpg

20151218_232143_zpsiifb9sin.jpg

When I had looked at each magnificent parcel, I sat back and looked at two stacks of joy incarnate. Something stirred in me that I haven't felt in a long time. I remember as a kid when I would look at my rock/mineral collection, I felt somehow god-like in that I had amassed together a group of related items into one place and had dominion over the organization and placement of each piece. It is difficult to describe to someone who has not collected something or took pleasure in building a large puzzle. These two stacks of colored boxes brought all that back in one tiny minute, on a cold day in mid-December.

20151218_210912_zpsy9mmgfg4.jpg

20151218_210557_zps3ahu1y2q.jpg

I did the natural thing, next. I took my new treasures into my treasure cave where I moved items, re-arranged books and disk cases. I switched several shelf pins around to get the proper height for these new 'pieces of the puzzle.' When I had finished, I knew I had gotten it right.... And all was well.

20151218_211150_zpsmmyxuxlw.jpg

There are times in life when it is appropriate to allow ones self to be washed over with feelings of boundless and infinite gratitude and cheer. Christmas time is one of those times. Today was Christmas 'come early' for my son and me...

Thank you to Steve Jones for playing the part of Santa Claus on this day. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. :)

letters-to-santa-7-1-s-307x512.jpg

• Like 14

Please notice the bare carts up by my SVA box.... those were a Christmas prelude as well... :)

evg2000 has also played Santa for us this year. :)

20151219_003042_zpsqeuv13pt.jpg

20151219_003143_zpss8mejyq7.jpg

This community is amazing. I swear, truly epic.

you will find that the intellivision brotherhood is a wonderful breed of people. We will do a lot to help each other out. So welcome to the intellivision brotherhood. Oh btw i finally shipped your patch out today. I apologize for the condition of the envelope it came in. I blew out a tire on the highway and it fell out of my pocket onto the dirty slush on the side of the road. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

My love for the system goes back to my Uncle Mike. He, my dad and my Uncle Lance would get together all the time and play Football against each other... The thing that stuck with me most was the controller... The gold buttons and how they 'clicked.'

Now, here in 2015 (28 years since he retired his Intv and bought an NES) I am finding that the clicky gold buttons are even cooler than I remember. :)

• Like 2

i got my first intellivision in 2012. Been hooked since.

I blame my parents. I wanted an Atari VCS, for three Christmases I begged and begged for one, and never got it. Then for some reason, my parents conspired with my Grand-Father and bought and Intellivision instead. And thus unwillingly and unwittingly conscripted me into an alliance over which I had no control, for the rest of my life. Many a playground battle was fought on the side of this association, and much time and treasure has been spent in pursuit of allaying the pangs of nostalgia which it forever spawn.

One small, inconsequential decision in which you have no say, can set your path for life.

I blame my parents for this.

I think I'll send them a Christmas Card this Christmas to thank them. :)

• Like 4

I blame my parents. I wanted an Atari VCS, for three Christmases I begged and begged for one, and never got it. Then for some reason, my parents conspired with my Grand-Father and bought and Intellivision instead. And thus unwillingly and unwittingly conscripted me into an alliance over which I had no control, for the rest of my life. Many a playground battle was fought on the side of this association, and much time and treasure has been spent in pursuit of allaying the pangs of nostalgia which it forever spawn.

One small, inconsequential decision in which you have no say, can set your path for life.

I blame my parents for this.

I think I'll send them a Christmas Card this Christmas to thank them. :)

They blessed you DZ because as a home console the 2600 is an inferior console. That is why for Christmas in 1979 I asked for an Intellivision.

I paid $100 and my Dad paid the other half. Great life choice for me.

Your alliance is great, look at all the joy everyone has from Christmas Carol....if you had that Atari 2600 we probably don't have that game! Thank you,Wolfy

They blessed you DZ because as a home console the 2600 is an inferior console. That is why for Christmas in 1979 I asked for an Intellivision.

I paid $100 and my Dad paid the other half. Great life choice for me.

Your alliance is great, look at all the joy everyone has from Christmas Carol....if you had that Atari 2600 we probably don't have that game! Thank you,Wolfy

sure we might still have it on the atari. But then it would be christmas carol vs the ghost of christmas blocks. :)
  • Like 2