IGNORED

How to get Programs from PC to TI99/4A

kactas

Hi,

I've got a TI99/4A and TI Program Recorder (cassette tape) and I'm looking for help in getting BASIC programs I find on the Web into the machine without having to type them in by hand.

I tried recording the sound output of V9T9 emulator saving a program to the cassette deck, but it didn't work.

Is there a preferred method for doing this? I've been looking for days and there doesn't seem to be an easy way. Do I need to get a PEB and the RS232 card?

Thanks,

Kactas

Hi,

I've got a TI99/4A and TI Program Recorder (cassette tape) and I'm looking for help in getting BASIC programs I find on the Web into the machine without having to type them in by hand.

I tried recording the sound output of V9T9 emulator saving a program to the cassette deck, but it didn't work.

Is there a preferred method for doing this? I've been looking for days and there doesn't seem to be an easy way. Do I need to get a PEB and the RS232 card?

Thanks,

Kactas

I started a thread on this a while back for using an MP3 player with the 99/4A.

read it here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238185-best-mp3-player-to-use-as-the-cassette-storage-devices-cs1cs2/?hl=%2Bmp3&do=findComment&comment=3236908

The one that was recommended to me was the Transcend MP350

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks,

Kactas

0. I have not tried the "line-out" from the PC to the TI-99/4A (MP3 file style)

(but I tried once using my Android phone to upload the MP3, could not get it to work

but on the forum they pointed to an MP3-player, as probably sound levels need to

be adjusted).

1. More generic File Transfer options from PC to TI:

www.globeron.com/freedownload/services/TI99/TI-99-4A-PC-transfer-v1.12.pdf

(but I need to include the other options, like a bare console TI without 32K and cassette player)

2. If you have a TI-console with 32K built-in (see AtariAge TI-99/4A forum how to built one)

Then you can also use Assembly programs from Tape (this was my first setup in 1982?)

(recently I tested my tapes and everything still worked. Also when I met Ralf (Schmitzi) we tested it again

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209774843/permalink/10153373311169844/

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions! All of them are super helpful!

Opry99er: Thanks for the video. That worked very well. Now I just have to figure out what to do when I only have the DSK file and no source code.

I'm currently building a PEB. I got one off Ebay that is new old stock and am collecting the controller cards now. I might have to get the RS232 card.

It's great fun having a TI99/4a again!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions! All of them are super helpful!

Opry99er: Thanks for the video. That worked very well. Now I just have to figure out what to do when I only have the DSK file and no source code.

I'm currently building a PEB. I got one off Ebay that is new old stock and am collecting the controller cards now. I might have to get the RS232 card.

It's great fun having a TI99/4a again!

.dsk files can be opened via ti99dir.

http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/Files/ti99dir62a.zip

this is for the PC and can open various disk image formats used with the TI.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm new to this forum, because I'm just getting back into using my TI after a very long hiatus. I hadn't fired up my TI 99/4A since the late 1980s. I got it working again with help from posts in this forum - we made a frankencable by clipping a dead RF modulator & soldering it to a composite RCA - and for that I'm grateful. We spent a lot of time over the winter break playing old video games.

Now, my interest in the TI is to teach my daughter some fundamentals of computing. I'll save it for a later post, but the Editor / Assembler is a great tool for helping her answer a question: "I get programming [Java, Python], but what's really going on in there?" I've been re-learning assembly to help her answer that question in a series of exercises.

This thread on file transfer was helpful, and I thought I'd add an experience report. I used the cassette transfer mechanism as described by the video. A lot of PCs now co-mingle mic-in with audio-out, and that seemed to stymie the software. I routed a PC audio out / mic jack through dedicated speakers, and that to the white plug on the TI cassette interface, and that did the trick in Extended BASIC. Unfortunately, it did not work in ES/AS: I tried to LOAD from CS1, but the read failed. I suspect there must be some encoding of BASIC programs not present on assembler source files (which, I'm assuming, are clear text).

I did try to hack together a USB-to-25-port-serial-cable today to get proper file transfer between a PC and TI, but my optimism that I could find a virtual USB to COM mapping was misplaced. Seems an order-able solution. Can't wait to get VDM99 going.

For what it's worth, I'm really happy to see such an active and engaged community around the TI.

• Like 4

There is an easier way. If you have 3.5" drives on your TI and the ability to connect a 3.5" USB drive to your PC, it is an easy process. Just convert the file (program image) to a TIFILES program with TI99DIR and save it to the 3.5" drive attached to your PC. No need to add the TIFILES header to IF128, DF128, or others just copy them as they are. Once saved to the 3.5" disk in the PC, remove the disk and put it into one of your 3.5" disks on the TI. Run the program PC-TRANSFER and you are done.

^^^I thought this was not possible without Omniflop or some additional PC-side software?^^^

I have a built in 3.5 disk drive, but it only accepts HD disks. Are you saying to get a USB drive that runs DD disks, save TIFILES program directly to this disk and it can somehow be converted to run on the TI?

I need more info on the PC-TRANSFER program... Does it somehow "overlook" or compensate for the PC formatting necessary to accomplish the first part of this process?

Windows no longer supports formatting 720K disks (and hasn't for some time. However, there is a work--around in WindowsXP. I have attached the instructions.

Although the docs for PC-TRANSFER say it will process up to 360K PC-formatted disks., it has no problems with 720K PC-formatted disks. Contact me by PM if you would like a copy of PC-TRANSFER.

720K.doc

Someone just mentioned in this forum, having a C program to read and write TI disk on the PC, I've searched for that reference(just saw it this morning). I have been contemplating reverse engineering TI99PC to be able to run in a C# environment, but haven't had the time to really examine it. Would they be willing to share the program? TI99PC seems to have a few hang ups and is kind of slow. I believe it should be possible to access and copy files on a file level and not just a whole disk level as TI99PC does.

Yes, it's not a PL issue but the fact that it contains ioctl calls which talk directly to the floppy driver, so for a Windows environment (or did you talk about C# in Mono :-) ) the tool won't work. Also, it's only tested for internal floppy drives (connected with the flat cable to the mainboard); I don't know whether external drives will do. But if you've got all this, I'll post the source codes right here when I'm back from work.

Yes, it's not a PL issue but the fact that it contains ioctl calls which talk directly to the floppy driver, so for a Windows environment (or did you talk about C# in Mono :-) ) the tool won't work. Also, it's only tested for internal floppy drives (connected with the flat cable to the mainboard); I don't know whether external drives will do. But if you've got all this, I'll post the source codes right here when I'm back from work.

Ok, I do have everything pretty much that I need, sounds good and thanks.

So, here are the tools. You need to unpack and compile them. I just noticed that in writeti.c there are still some German comments indicating that the write tool is not finished yet (formatting does not work). I'll translate them when required.

Thank you, I can also do some "google translating" if necessary.

1. More generic File Transfer options from PC to TI:

www.globeron.com/freedownload/services/TI99/TI-99-4A-PC-transfer-v1.12.pdf

(but I need to include the other options, like a bare console TI without 32K and cassette player)

Thanks very much for this info. I'm happy to report success with VDM99. The instructions in the PDF worked fantastically well. The PC has no serial ports but the straight through (that is, no crossover) connection from USB-9 pin-25pin is working great. It's older - 32bit, Windows Vista. But it works.

I've installed Classic99 as a means of testing my assembly code. I'll still upload it to my TI, though. Nothing quite like running it on the real thing...

Both VDM99 and Classic99 are pretty impressive pieces of engineering.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for this info. I'm happy to report success with VDM99. The instructions in the PDF worked fantastically well. The PC has no serial ports but the straight through (that is, no crossover) connection from USB-9 pin-25pin is working great. It's older - 32bit, Windows Vista. But it works.

I've installed Classic99 as a means of testing my assembly code. I'll still upload it to my TI, though. Nothing quite like running it on the real thing...

Both VDM99 and Classic99 are pretty impressive pieces of engineering.

Perfect. I still need to try the other options (I do not have them, but need to be included). HDX (Jon Guidry has a video online), Lotharek, etc.

(I also used VDM and the DoS transfer, but after I migrated all disks the PEB is in the closet (to save space in the house) and use the nanoPEB.

(initially I thought to go full production with emulators, I love them, but I came back on that to use a "TI-99/18A" (F18A upgrade) + nanoPEB which

works excellent.