IGNORED

Xbit Dipswitch Help

MotoRacer

So I bought an already modded Xbox from Goodwill recently. It boots up in Evolution dashboard just fine, and will play retail games just fine (and the burned copy of some college football game that came with it in the drive already).

I'm looking to get some component cables for the system, so I can play my games I just bought in a higher resolution. But it seems I need to go to the MS Dashboard to change the resolution it's outputting. (No option to do so in Evolution)

When I click on MS Dashboard, it cycles, but comes back to Evolution. I'm assuming this is because the dipswitches on the external PCB board obviously have the modchip still on. How do I turn it off so I can go to the main MS dash? I'm not really too keen on these sort of mods, and just want to play retail games on the thing (only cost 9 bucks, which is why I picked up the system). But I obviously don't want to accidentally reflash the thing or something, and kill the system. It's in nice physical condition, and the disc drive is as smooth as butter. I don't want to trash it by just flipping switches willy nilly.

Right now the four dips are in the following order

1_____2_____3_____4

ON__OFF___ON___OFF

Thanks for the help in advance. Hopefully someone still knows how these silly things work.

Edited by MotoRacer

I cannot answer your question, but how did you determine that the Xbox had been modded (before you purchased it)? Was there some external indication, or did you just get a $9 console, and was pleasantly surprised?

I frequently see original Xbox consoles at thrift shops (albeit for rather more than $9), but I have idea how to tell if any have been modded.

So I bought an already modded Xbox from Goodwill recently. It boots up in Evolution dashboard just fine, and will play retail games just fine (and the burned copy of some college football game that came with it in the drive already).

I'm looking to get some component cables for the system, so I can play my games I just bought in a higher resolution. But it seems I need to go to the MS Dashboard to change the resolution it's outputting. (No option to do so in Evolution)

When I click on MS Dashboard, it cycles, but comes back to Evolution. I'm assuming this is because the dipswitches on the external PCB board obviously have the modchip still on. How do I turn it off so I can go to the main MS dash? I'm not really too keen on these sort of mods, and just want to play retail games on the thing (only cost 9 bucks, which is why I picked up the system). But I obviously don't want to accidentally reflash the thing or something, and kill the system. It's in nice physical condition, and the disc drive is as smooth as butter. I don't want to trash it by just flipping switches willy nilly.

Right now the four dips are in the following order

1_____2_____3_____4

ON__OFF___ON___OFF

Thanks for the help in advance. Hopefully someone still knows how these silly things work.

I think 4 is to turn modchip on/off. BUT, if the hard drive isn't "locked" to the motherboard, then turning off the modchip will give you an error when you go to boot to original xbox dash. If there is a way to browse the hard drive(should be thru Evo dashboard) find the original xbox dash .exe and try to start it from there.

With all that being said, I really see no point in you using the xbox without the mod chip on. On the Evo dash, you should be able to switch video output. You can still play retail games and the chances of you screwing up the mod are 0% if you don't go dicking around with files.

Edited by Starscream

I think 4 is to turn modchip on/off. BUT, if the hard drive isn't "locked" to the motherboard, then turning off the modchip will give you an error when you go to boot to original xbox dash. If there is a way to browse the hard drive(should be thru Evo dashboard) find the original xbox dash .exe and try to start it from there.

With all that being said, I really see no point in you using the xbox without the mod chip on. On the Evo dash, you should be able to switch video output. You can still play retail games and the chances of you screwing up the mod are 0% if you don't go dicking around with files.

I can't figure out how to swap the resolution. I went through all the (very few) menus, nothing talks about resolution or output.

it had that little mini PCB sticking out the side of the system connected by wires. That's how I knew. That and when I powered it on, the power LED was modded to switch to red upon boot.

• Like 1

You really can't hurt anything by tuning switches on or off. Basically, 3 of the switches are for bios and 4th is to turn off chip. The bios ones may boot to different dashes or maybe one is set with the original XB dash. Or maybe a large bios was made and uses 2 or 3 banks(switches). Anyways, switch away.

I tried turning the first on switch off, and then both off. Never booted to MS Dashboard when I clicked on it. Maybe I need to turn them off then turn the system on. Not sure if I'm doing this wrong. I'll have to keep poking at this.

Edited by MotoRacer

I tried turning the first on switch off, and then both off. Never booted to MS Dashboard when I clicked on it. Maybe I need to turn them off then turn the system on. Not sure if I'm doing this wrong. I'll have to keep poking at this.

You would need to turn switches off before turning system on. Like I said before, I am pretty sure switch 4 is to turn mod chip off. Let me know what ya find.

You would need to turn switches off before turning system on. Like I said before, I am pretty sure switch 4 is to turn mod chip off. Let me know what ya find.

Right now, I'm waiting on some cables to get the system working on my new monitor. I'll test it again once I get that in and this is all re-hooked up :).

Thanks for the help, btw. Hope it works.