IGNORED

IndieGo Console Funded on Kickstarter Looks to Be All in One Solution

triverse

Okay, we have seen these things hit crowdfunding sites before but this one is different. They seem to be pushing the OS and the store rather than the hardware itself (the OS will be available for purchase separate of any hardware).

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/12/21/indiego-console-looks-to-be-all-in-one-retro-gaming-fans-always-wanted-currently-on-kickstarter-goal-already-met/

This is what you are getting:

$50 Inwin Mini-itx case
$35 Raspberry Pi 2

$21 Slimline DVD
$7 Power supply
$8 Game controller

$?? Custom 3D printed back panel

Free software

*edit*

But that's just a quick estimate from Amazon, Newegg, and one other site.
Not 100% sure that is an Inwin case

Edited by JamesD

Given it's an ARM SoC based machine what stops it from becoming yet another Android device with tons of emulators?

The OS thing is not that mindblowing, whatever runs on ARM can run there .... not sure what the fuss is about.

In the end for old systems it will have to resort to emulation no matter what "OS" you put on it as none of the good oldies ran on ARM (exception for the 3DO and the GBA/DS lineage) .... not sure what makes it special really.

The XU4 has a powerful ARM SoC but other than that I am not sure who it caters to.

yeah yeah they rave about AROS and its lineage all the way back to Amiga OS but I doubt that it will make anything better per se .... don't know I am not excited.

EDIT: btw they've been trying to push the AROS for a long time, standalone or hosted within another OS.

Edited by phoenixdownita

I'm not really into the early CD era much (carts or bust) so the drive is kind of wasted on me. And the later CD consoles don't run well on a Pi. Awesome they are doing this however.

In other news, I just bought a Retro Freak off Play Asia... :cool:

I am interested in some first hand accounts on the Retro Freak if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts after you get it.

• Like 1

I am interested in some first hand accounts on the Retro Freak if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts after you get it.

Sure. I'll probably run it through the gamut by testing my stacks of carts, also might do a small unboxing video. I'm not going to do a boring playtest every game on camera like some do, probably just do a list of stuff I own. One interesting feature is while it obviously won't support flash carts, the Turbo Everdrive 1.x will auto boot to last ROM loaded when the micro SD card removed. I'd like to test this function on the Retro Freak by popping the SD.

The Japanese are definitely more peculiar about quality compared to US gamers. The console base price is $169 without the controller adapter, only slightly more than a Retron5, and from what I hear the build quality is much better like they actually put thought into the design. I have USB adapters for most everything so it's redundant anyway. I don't mind the minimalist style with matte white, as it reminds me of the PC Engine. Some call it boring, but I think it's elegant. I think the PS1 digital controller through a USB adapter, or the wired NES30 will likely be my go to controllers for retro gaming. And a 6 button Genesis for fighting layout.

I am no hardware expert at all, and PCs in general are not my thing. Just forwarding what the maker of the IndieGO had to say concerning the OS:

"AEROS for Pi is the fastest OS on ARM. No doubt. It is also the only one supporting Windows and Linux i386 per default"

-compatible with Linux ( ARM and i386 binaries side by side)
-compatible with ARM AROS binares
-Wine is installed and allowed to run Windows ARM and i386 Software
-Boots fast even on a Pi, see video .
-Contains KODI
-AmiCloud ( cloud without Traffic limiting )
-EmuLA ( emulator launcher)
-indieGO ! -Appstore
-emulation station

The EmuLA launcher is announced to do more than other launchers have, but it is rather barren design wise as of now. That is to be improved. But putting in a CD for some system and having the matching emulator played automatically sounds very nice.

If people do not like EmuLA, emulation station comes pre-installed as an alternative.

Again, I am not affiliated with the project, just forwarding the answers we got on the German board. If everything promised is true, it seems like a good deal for a device ready to run out of the box. Biggest issue seems to me the cheap PS2-knock-off controller, but you can use another one, so yeah... I do find it an attractive device in theory. 3 of my PS1 consoles have died, would be nice to have a very simple new solution with some filters.

It's interesting to see how emulation box solutions are now becoming a business trend.

I have the feeling there will be even more in the future, as this will always be cheaper to reuse freely available and years-developed software emulation than making all-in-one hardware clones, and people willing to replace their old dying console systems will increase as time flies.

What saddens me though is that it won't benefit to any of those emulator authors who initially made their software freely available and portable and without whom none of these new retrogaming "consoles" would even exist nowadays. I also have the feeling this will make some developers think twice before choosing to open source their emulators, knowing this will likely end up as free work for upcoming retrogaming entrepreneurs.

Edited by philyso
  • Like 2

RetroPie exists and is apparently pretty good. I haven't tried it yet, but given the choice between free open source software supported by the community versus a proprietary paid OS, I think I know what I'd try first. The proprietary option had better come with a lot of polish and ease of use to justify its existence.

There are lots of choices, that's never a bad thing. Modding an Xbox was such a PITA ten years ago. It's cool that there are small, cheap, open options for us.

• Like 1

RetroPie exists and is apparently pretty good. I haven't tried it yet, but given the choice between free open source software supported by the community versus a proprietary paid OS, I think I know what I'd try first. The proprietary option had better come with a lot of polish and ease of use to justify its existence.

There are lots of choices, that's never a bad thing. Modding an Xbox was such a PITA ten years ago. It's cool that there are small, cheap, open options for us.

After building the Picade (http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/tag/picade/), I went with RetroPie paired with EmulationStation for the software. It actually works quite well, although the various configuration options can be overwhelming. Fortunately, I didn't have to configure much to get it more or less where I wanted it to be.

In any case, as I've stated in other threads, there is definitely an appeal to having a truly plug and play option. I'm well passed the age where I get any enjoyment endlessly configuring things, and will actually overpay to have something just work. Unfortunately, due to the whole ROM legality thing, it's usually impossible (of course there are exceptions, but it's rarely something terribly public), even with the pre-configured emulators and what-not, to also have the ROMS present as well.

• Like 4

Will this thing offer anything to set it apart from the literal truckload of similar devices avalible out there?

I went for a "Blaze Tab" just out of pure curiosity. 7" tablet with controls attacked to it, running Android. 99£ it cost me and i can do everything an ordinary tablet can do but with actual physical controls on the side for gaming.

Indeed they won't. My apologies for being so short-sighted, i guess it's because of a critical lack of MegaCD-discs (Yes, it's called that over here) in my house.

So it will have the edge in hardware as it evidently will do physical games, but those can run off internal memory too, so i guess it will be kind of a Retron 5 for optical media, besides the obvious internet connectivity?
I don't know if im just burned so hard by that Chameleon-thing that i am watching every new console with the most sceptical of eyes known to man. It turned me into a cynical a-hole.

Indeed they won't. My apologies for being so short-sighted, i guess it's because of a critical lack of MegaCD-discs (Yes, it's called that over here) in my house.

So it will have the edge in hardware as it evidently will do physical games, but those can run off internal memory too, so i guess it will be kind of a Retron 5 for optical media, besides the obvious internet connectivity?

I don't know if im just burned so hard by that Chameleon-thing that i am watching every new console with the most sceptical of eyes known to man. It turned me into a cynical a-hole.

It's cool. The Retron 5 really soured me on a lot of this stuff too. I'm being very cautious, but if the machine that fits my needs ever shows up, I want to be ready for it.

• Like 1

I do not understand why anyone would buy something like RetroVGS/Coleco Steampile or any of these things, they are not retro. Stolen emulators, etc., I do not get it. Maybe it is a pirate kind of thing, that attracts people to these. :? Who the fuck cares if it plays PlayStation games at full speed, I have 8 PlayStation's in the closet, if I really want to go back and play one of those games?

I buy my games, music and videos. I am beginning to hate downloads, because I can't put them on my shelf, once finished. I don't even have a physical copy of one of the games I worked on for the PS Vita.

Why would you WANT to Play disc games from the disk? I have to make iso files from my PS2 games to Play them, but I find that great. Loads faster, less noise and I have a backup. Also once the iso is made I'm set, and the games aren't that big anyway. 1TB fits tons.

To me People justify Videogames with the most ridiculous excuses. It sounds like:

A - Look at my new cool shoes.

B - Yeah, look OK, how much they cost?

A - 200 Dollars.

B - Wow, for that much I buy 2 great shoes. Why should I buy this one?

A - It Plays MP3.

You could end the conversation there, buy you try to explain:

B - Well, for that Price I can buy a better shoe and a better MP3 Player...

A - But you still wouldn't have a shoe that Plays MP3. I like that "feeling".

If you live in a place where you don't have Problems downloading roms, why do you care? Get a PC and emulate the games. You can still buy them. Makes no difference. If you like the original stuff just get the original stuff. Obviously the mp3 plaing shoe is just a Marketing spin from the Company. Obviously they will say it's great.

Now, I'm not complaining about something like the Retro Freak. If I could get that for 150 euro I would. With a good Controller, decent build wuality, tons of Features and decent plug and Play Emulation that Looks nice. Not a game changer, but still nice.

• Like 2

I do not understand why anyone would buy something like RetroVGS/Coleco Steampile or any of these things, they are not retro. Stolen emulators, etc., I do not get it. Maybe it is a pirate kind of thing, that attracts people to these. :? Who the fuck cares if it plays PlayStation games at full speed, I have 8 PlayStation's in the closet, if I really want to go back and play one of those games?

I will never buy a RetroVGS/Coleco Steampile, but in regards to something like the Retro Freak, for me it's a consolidation thing. I have a gaming room with 20 or so original game consoles hooked up. I have lots of original games. However, sometimes I'd like to play these out in the main living room, on the comfort of my couch. I'd rather not be swapping out consoles and having loose systems on the floor and cables dangling everywhere. I also don't want to dick around with a portable PC that involves the cumbersome setup of emulators and daisy chaining original controller converters (I prefer to keep my place looking at least somewhat respectable). If someone can provide a simple console-like setup that plays classic games (either via original carts or ROMs), takes original controllers, outputs via HDMI, and plays the games perfectly with no flaws (even if it's using emulation at the core), then I'm sold. That solution gives me what I want for my purposes and it will remain a permanent solution next to my modern consoles hooked up to my living room TV.

• Like 1

Nostalgia over cartridges is just bizarre to me. Nostalgia over CDs seems extra super silly. Why use a spinning-easily scratched medium when you can rip it to a digital file and lose nothing except for the bad aspects? It's only "ease of use" the very first time, and it's not as though the cases and manuals from 3do/playstation/Saturn were amazing to behold.

Nostalgia over cartridges is just bizarre to me. Nostalgia over CDs seems extra super silly. Why use a spinning-easily scratched medium when you can rip it to a digital file and lose nothing except for the bad aspects? It's only "ease of use" the very first time, and it's not as though the cases and manuals from 3do/playstation/Saturn were amazing to behold.

But if you want to distribute something physically optical disks are still the best Option. I agree digital is better. GOG does very often give you a DPF Manual you could print, they also give some other extra materials.

People seem to mix DRM with digital Distribution, and that makes very Little sense in reality. I do understand this Feeling of having something physical and "official". But People who actually understand the Technology, and don't see it as Magic do realyze for digital Content it makes no difference at all where your data is stored. Whatever is cheapest and safest wins. Yeah, there is Transfer rate and other factors, but it's not like buying discs or cartridges are going to give you an Advantage in that aspect.

• Like 1