IGNORED

IndieGo Console Funded on Kickstarter Looks to Be All in One Solution

triverse

I myself am surprised why some people seem so bothered by the preference of others.

If you feel digital is fine and only has advantages that is great. If you prefer to have physical media and play your original discs or carts, that is also fine.

Why endless discussions about it? Nobody claims physical copies do hold great advantages for actual play. But still I find it perfectly reasonable to feel one way or the other. We are talking a hobby here, something done for enjoyment. Fun is a thing that can not easily be defined by logic, if at all. And with a hobby that revolves around fun and games it should be plain obvious that there are limits to how much you can "explain".

I am sure as hell more likely to play a game if I have an original copy of it. There is just more motivation and more enjoyment in it for some reason. And when I do graphics for a game, I expect it to be released physically as well because that is just so much more attractive to me. Why is that? I don't know. I dislike some specific things about digital content, such as not being able to resell and having to hope for the service to stay in business in order to redownload... unless it is DRM free, which also leaves me with archieving my games myself which I don't want to bother with. But all of that is secondary. The primary thing is nothing easy to explain, but I just don't enjoy much what I do not own physically.

• Like 5

I myself am surprised why some people seem so bothered by the preference of others.

If you feel digital is fine and only has advantages that is great. If you prefer to have physical media and play your original discs or carts, that is also fine.

This. I don't tell people how to collect or not collect. It doesn't matter if someone buys games to play them or as a shelf sitter, assuming they get enjoyment out of owning them. Collect CIB or loose? Open 20, 30 year old sealed games to play them or experience the nostalgia of that minty fresh smell? Doesn't matter. It's yours!

Likewise I won't slam people for piracy because they emulate on computers. I've got fully loaded flash carts for nearly every system I own so I'm just as guilty of hoarding ROMs as I am collecting carts. Same with Amiibo collectors. I open and discard the boxes so I can scan them into the GamePad. Some people prefer to keep them sealed and pristine. Doesn't matter.

As long as you're not trying to cheat or scam other collectors... #dowhatyoulike

• Like 3

But if you want to distribute something physically optical disks are still the best Option. I agree digital is better. GOG does very often give you a DPF Manual you could print, they also give some other extra materials.

People seem to mix DRM with digital Distribution, and that makes very Little sense in reality. I do understand this Feeling of having something physical and "official". But People who actually understand the Technology, and don't see it as Magic do realyze for digital Content it makes no difference at all where your data is stored. Whatever is cheapest and safest wins. Yeah, there is Transfer rate and other factors, but it's not like buying discs or cartridges are going to give you an Advantage in that aspect.

i was shocked the laptop I got two years ago had no CD drive. I think nowadays a little flash card like IndieBox does would be the best physical option for future proofing. Here's a pic of how they do it:

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/025.jpg

• 2 months later...