IGNORED

Mortal Kombat Tech Demo

Jinroh

I went through and cleaned up all the backgrounds, centering objects, and making some other slight revisions. Biggest change here is The Pit. I've included it now as two separate rooms, plus one with those two rooms combined. The new palette looks much better!

post-6479-0-70679700-1483999824_thumb.png

post-6479-0-23670900-1483999843_thumb.png

post-6479-0-96746400-1483999853_thumb.png

post-6479-0-68160500-1483999909_thumb.png

post-6479-0-86306100-1483999914_thumb.png

post-6479-0-03041800-1483999939_thumb.png

post-6479-0-90830200-1483999950_thumb.png

post-6479-0-73634400-1483999960_thumb.png

post-6479-0-97605300-1483999973_thumb.png

post-6479-0-80796400-1483999979_thumb.png

post-6479-0-30963700-1483999987_thumb.png

Edited by MayDay
  • Like 7

I'll start working on some sprite animations next, beginning with Sub-Zero. We'll need to figure out how to handle certain actions such as punches/kicks (and special attacks?) that would go beyond the 8 pixel limit. I will bold the movements below I think might need this, and this assumes the player facing right (otherwise left/right should be reversed). Basically any of the moves with the buttons. But in order to get started, I'm going to list out the base player controls. Each player would possibly have a special attack (such as Sub-Zero ice blast) and a fatality that would involve slightly more complicated controls.

NO BUTTON JOYSTICK MOVES

Up - Jump Straight Up

Up & Right - Jump Flip to Right

Right - Move Right

Down & Right - Squat

Down - Squat

Down & Left - Squat

Left - Move Left

Left & Up - Jump Flip to Left

JOYSTICK MOVES WITH BUTTON PRESS

Up - Jump Kick

Up & Right - Jump Kick to Right

Right (If forward) - Punch

Down & Right (if forward) - Low Kick

Down - Uppercut

Down & Left - Sweep Kick

Left - Spin Kick

Left & Up - Back Punch

Special Move - back back button

Fatality - forward down forward button

• Like 2

We'll need to figure out how to handle certain actions such as punches/kicks (and special attacks?) that would go beyond the 8 pixel limit.

As Spiceware pointed out, we can move the player over to handle extended arms and legs. Just don't move anything more than 7 pixels (single wide pixels) each scanline.

The 7 pixel movement limit applies to missiles from both sides due to the way I'm reflected the players. So make sure on both the left and right side there is never more than 7 pixels apart from the previous edge on the scanline above.

• 3 weeks later...

So if I read this thread right, the initial rom was released on December 21. 2015, and the last edit to the first page was on December 21, 2015. There have been some great art made to inspire, but really nothing new since a year ago?

• 6 months later...

Do you have any music? I'm working on an MK port myself. If anyone would like to help, I need some sound samples. Ideally I'd like

1) A striking sound

2) A blocked sound

3) A projectile fired sound

4) A 10 second background level music loop that repeats (Maybe 3 of these for different level music)

5) A screaming noise

6) Fatality sound- like bones breaking or guts ripping.

Whatever other samples you think sound great and MK like. I want to keep the memory footprint small

If anyone wants to write these for me, I will credit you. Thanks

Edited by freshbrood

Man you guys are phenomenal with what you can paint with the Playfield. :)

I need to get in that mindset. ;) Glad I was able to jump start some good Prototyping and Mockuping. Carrot Kingdom took up my time from working on that idea further, but you guys have some better ideas than me. ^^

Edited by Jinroh

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken the liberty to assemble the source (see the attached file). It runs on 6502.ts (https://6502ts.github.io/stellerator) in the browser if you select "bankswitched 3E (Tigervision + RAM)" as cartridge type (it won't autodetect). It works in Stella, too, if you configure banking accordingly (via "stella -bs 3E" on the command line). However, note that this has nothing to do with this thread --- read the mail on the list closely ;)

fukung.bin

Edited by DirtyHairy

• 2 years later...
On 1/21/2020 at 7:10 AM, ][UNREAL][ said:

Hey guys, this project is dead?? This is awesome!

May I suggest my own project currently called "Ninja Kombat" that I began working on slightly before this one? I do not know assembly, mine is entirely in BBasic and the color palette is not as nice.. but with all due respect I feel the sprite graphics and gameplay engine is as close to the original version as you can get on the 2600. Still a work in progress with a new update due very soon.

(My user avatar is Johnny Cage for an indication..)

I also welcome anyone willing to help with the sound and music!

Edited by freshbrood
Additional info

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Any news? Can I help with anything?

On 1/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, freshbrood said:

May I suggest my own project currently called "Ninja Kombat" that I began working on slightly before this one? I do not know assembly, mine is entirely in BBasic and the color palette is not as nice.. but with all due respect I feel the sprite graphics and gameplay engine is as close to the original version as you can get on the 2600. Still a work in progress with a new update due very soon.

(My user avatar is Johnny Cage for an indication..)

I also welcome anyone willing to help with the sound and music!

• 2 years later...