IGNORED

7800 Development Wiki at 8bitdev.org

RevEng

Hi All,

I've put together a new 7800 Development Wiki, at 7800.8bitdev.org.

Those of us that have taken up 7800 development can attest that there's a lot of information scattered about the net on programming the 7800, but much of it is outdated, and much of it is languishing. The wiki will hopefully improve the situation, since anyone with a stake in 7800 development can sign-up and add or update entries.

I've taken a first pass at populating the wiki. It's not fully comprehensive (yet) but there are definitely a bunch of useful docs, including some new ones I put together with information I haven't seen elsewhere. Ironically, it's a bit weak on 7800basic info, but I'm hoping to shore that up in the future.

The wiki has an updated version of the 7800 Software Guide, which has fixed sections for mirrors, DMA timing, and equates.

The wiki is also the new official home of 7800basic. (I'll still update the AA 7800basic release thread here with any news.)

I've also created the 7800 Assembly Dev Kit, which is a collection of dasm, 7800header, and 7800sign, and some scripting to make getting setup for 7800 assembly coding painless. Windows, OS X, and Linux are supported.

I'm hoping the 7800 developers will find this useful, and that it will drive the 7800 forward as a console to write games for. Enjoy, and Happy Holidays! :)

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 12/23/2015 at 5:40 AM, RevEng said:

Hi All,

I've put together a new 7800 Development Wiki, at 7800.8bitdev.org.

Those of us that have taken up 7800 development can attest that there's a lot of information scattered about the net on programming the 7800, but much of it is outdated, and much of it is languishing. The wiki will hopefully improve the situation, since anyone with a stake in 7800 development can sign-up and add or update entries.

I've taken a first pass at populating the wiki. It's not fully comprehensive (yet) but there are definitely a bunch of useful docs, including some new ones I put together with information I haven't seen elsewhere. Ironically, it's a bit weak on 7800basic info, but I'm hoping to shore that up in the future.

The wiki has an updated version of the 7800 Software Guide, which has fixed sections for mirrors, DMA timing, and equates.

The wiki is also the new official home of 7800basic. (I'll still update the AA 7800basic release thread here with any news.)

I've also created the 7800 Assembly Dev Kit, which is a collection of dasm, 7800header, and 7800sign, and some scripting to make getting setup for 7800 assembly coding painless. Windows, OS X, and Linux are supported.

I'm hoping the 7800 developers will find this useful, and that it will drive the 7800 forward as a console to write games for. Enjoy, and Happy Holidays! :)

nice tool, thanks.

Is there a way to create e.g. 4kB rom with it?

With 7800basic? no. The last 4k of the rom is reserved for 7800basic functions, and there's no way to import graphics there. 16k is the smallest officially supported size.

With the 7800 Assembly Dev Kit? yes. Just set your ROM ORG to $f000 in your source code. I did this just the other day in fact.

• 2 years later...
On 1/14/2016 at 2:23 AM, RevEng said:

Thanks, JAC! Still early days, but its a start.

The more the merrier here. Can't wait to see what demos you cook up for the old girl, when "one day" eventually comes. :)

One small step ahead: The next version of the WUDSN IDE will include a reference to the Wiki in the online help.

image.thumb.png.9ed9964a9b5c1fa2dbfa7557d20836ea.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eagle said:

@JAC! could you add Maria modes to bitmap converter?

I think standard charset & bitmap will already work, but that's guessing. I've created https://github.com/wudsn/wudsn-ide/issues/20 to track the request. Feel free to provide further input there.

• Like 2