IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

So to also confirm (for the few games that, frankly, are just too uber expensive to own on cart), it doesn't accept zip files, right? They need to be unzipped? And does the system automatically understand what system they below to, or do I need to clearly label them?

It uses file extensions:

• .PCE : PC Engine / TurboGrafx16
  • .BIN : Genesis/Megadrive
  • .GB : Gameboy / Gameboy COlor
  • .GBA : Gameboy Advance
  • .SFC : SNES / Super Famicom
  • .NES : NES / Famicom
  • .SMS : Game Gear / Sega Master System / MK III

All roms go into the same folder ( \RetroFreak\Games\ )

• Like 2

It uses file extensions:

• .PCE : PC Engine / TurboGrafx16
  • .BIN : Genesis/Megadrive
  • .GB : Gameboy / Gameboy COlor
  • .GBA : Gameboy Advance
  • .SFC : SNES / Super Famicom
  • .NES : NES / Famicom
  • .SMS : Game Gear / Sega Master System / MK III

All roms go into the same folder ( \RetroFreak\Games\ )

They can also go in sub-folders if you so choose.

Is it possible that SG-1000 is a misprint by Play-Asia? [EDIT: It looks like it's not, because it's on the packaging.] Has anyone gotten an SG-1000 ROM to work? I'd try ripping one of my cartridges, but there's no way I'm paying $60+ for the cartridge adapter. I wonder if I should try my Sega Genesis Power Base Converter on it?

How would the Power Base Converter help? SG-1000 carts aren't compatible with its cartridge slot.

Yep, you're right, of course (brain fart). Just trying to think of ways to see how it handles SG-1000 cartridges without buying the adapter. Maybe it's as simple as renaming the .sg ROM extension to .sms. I'll have to try it later tonight if no one else gets a chance before that.

Confirmed: the iBuffalo SNES gamepad works with the Freak.

It also recognizes my Qanba Q4RAF arcade stick. With this I tested that it's possible to map any combination of USB buttons to open the in-game menu (i.e. one is not limited to e.g. NES buttons for example). There is a limitation to 10 USB buttons though, so in my Q4RAF I can use the "select" physical button but not the physical "home" button. Not big deal, there's buttons to spare on this stick :)

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 2

Sorry for getting to this thread late...

Bill Loguidice,

Excellent job (as always) on the review...thanks!

I've had the Retron5 (ver2) since September 2015 and I like it very much. It has never failed to play all my favorite games.

As far as the ver2 model, I really don't have any issues with the build quality. Regarding removing the carts, as long as you follow the instructions from the web site and lift them out from one side, they come out easily. I haven't noticed any heat problems and I've had no problems in updating the software.

However, I am disappointed that the Retron5 does not recognize the NES Vaus controller for Arkanoid I...bummer. I really like that game. I notified Hyperkin and they said that the problem should be addressed in future updates. We'll see. Glad to hear that your Arkanoid II controller worked on the Retro Freak.

Based on the comments I've read on this thread and elsewhere, for now, I think I'll stick with the Retron 5. But I'll be keeping an eye on the Retro Freak and how it progresses.

All the best to everyone here on AA,

StephenJ

Edited by StephenJ

Well, the file format for SG-1000 games remains a mystery. I tried renaming the .sg files to .sms, and my two test files, Star Jacker and Zaxxon, didn't work. So I'm fresh out of ideas.

By the way, I forgot to mention, you don't have to put your ROMs in the Games folder. The Games folder is just where the Retro Freak stores your cartridge rips. I have all of my ROMs in separate folders in the root directory of the microSD card and it sees them just fine.

Dumb question. Does anyone make a original feeling nes USB pad that this recognizes? Or better yet, is there a place that has the controller adapter by itself in stock? Play Asia says out of print. :/

I would look into a USB adapter for genuine NES controllers. The USB NES pads I have seen at GameXChange (Yobo brand) were horrid quality.

I recommend this adapter from RetroUSB. It is the one I use and it polls the controller 120 times per second for reduced latency. Retrobit and others may now sell similar USB adapters for less but I can't comment on quality as I don't own one.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

RetroUSB also sell SNES, Genesis, and N64 adapters too, and an Atari/SMS one. I have the whole family except for the Atari one. I got the 2600-Daptor instead for paddle support.

I may also pick up the Retro Freak multitap at some point if I find one for a reasonable price. Lack of configuration for the RF multi-tap would be a plus IMO.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think it'll be a good idea to preorder that sg-1000 adapter. If it's like the controller port adapter it'll sell out and be put out of stock, and frankly I've been looking to collect sg-1000 and Mark iii anyway, so id be set.

If those USB adapters really work, playing those games with an nes' dpad would be a gift of the ages. I love me some sms, but damn were its dpads a crock of sh!t. And for whatever reason, using a Genesis pad just felt weird playing games in that system. Too ergonomic ;). I love me some rectangular pads.

Edited by MotoRacer

I'm starting to think it'll be a good idea to preorder that sg-1000 adapter. If it's like the controller port adapter it'll sell out and be put out of stock, and frankly I've been looking to collect sg-1000 and Mark iii anyway, so id be set.

I broke down and pre-ordered one too. I already spent way too much on optimizing the Retro Freak, so I figured a little more of too much money wouldn't make a huge difference. I'll review it when it comes. Hopefully we find out what type of ROM extensions for SG-1000 it takes before the end of February, though.

• Like 1

Guest LiqMat

I broke down and pre-ordered one too. I already spent way too much on optimizing the Retro Freak, so I figured a little more of too much money wouldn't make a huge difference. I'll review it when it comes. Hopefully we find out what type of ROM extensions for SG-1000 it takes before the end of February, though.

Oh yeah, pre-ordered back in December as soon as I caught wind of it. It's one of those items that may not sell well and be discontinued months later and then you kick yourself in the head for not getting one. That has happened to me in the past one too many times.

"...Were there any changes to version 2?..."

Thanks to YouTube, I'm aware of three improvements:

- The plastic cover on the top, that has the cartridge holes, was made thicker. It was very thin on version 1. I saw that on a Gamester81 video from about a year ago.

- The quality of the cartridge connectors were improved.

- The internal memory was increased to 1g to 3g...I'm certainly not complaining but that seems like overkill.

This guy does a good job in comparing the two versions.

I think that's it for the changes. Maybe others on AA know of some others.

Just a bit of feedback regarding the wireless controller. Although it does work well (wirelessly speaking)...has a solid connection even at several feet and there is no noticeable lag...I just don't like it for action games. It's not ergonomic at all and I had to use a stick-on rubber piece on the top of thumb-stick to keep my thumb from slipping off. Most folks don't like the clicking of the micro-switches. Given a choice, I'd rather not deal with the noise either, but it's no big thing. My controller of choice in the SNES and I use it for all action games. The main reason I brought up the controller is because I wanted to correct something that I heard on another YouTube video. The guy said that you have to use the wireless controller to access the system's menus, so you are "stuck with it" for that reason. This is just not true. Yes, the wireless controller has extra buttons that make it more convenient to open the system's menu and do other functions, but you can do all of those things with any controller. By default, when you hold the [start] button and press down on the thumb pad of any controller, the system menu opens and you have access to all functions. You have the option to change the menu button-configuration...but I like the default. Bottom-line...you never have to use the wireless controller at all.

Hope I helped,

StephenJ

Edited by StephenJ

I think I have the second edition of the Retron5 (how to tell for sure?) but still managed to destroy a pin of the SNES cartridge connector.

It stopped working (couldn't dump carts) until I opened it and saw that all cart ports were connected and the SNES pin was shorting them all. So after cutting the pin I have a Retron4, which I guess is better than nothing.

One thing I like about the Freak is that cart ports are detachable, which means you can still use the console if they break and (theoretically) one could upgrade the "brains" in the future.

I got it in today and I love it! My games look razor sharp, and while the controller is far from perfect its serviceable at least until I get a better one. Haven't been able to test more than about ten games but it appears everything works and I think all my roms loaded just fine. Carts for my Famicom and super Famicom work without fuss and .... Wow this picture and sound!

I'm sure this will wear off, but as an avid user of real hardware, I can't believe the feed I'm seeing. :) I definitely haven't seen my sms games look this good before!

So happy, and the system, unlike the controller, feels ultra sturdy. No creaky plastic. Very small form factor. Easy setup.couldnt be more pleased and I haven't even run any updates, so who knows, might only get better!

Thank you all so much for your help and guide acne through this. Man....I can't believe I have to go to work. Really wish I was sick.... ;)

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I ordered the PDP PS3 Versus Controller: http://amzn.to/1SxWmZY . I'll post a review after it comes. The main complaints with it is with people who don't like how clicky it is, which to me is a plus, so it seems promising. Of course there are lots of reports also of quality control issues, so that could be a thing, but, considering the relatively low price, it's worth a shot. While I don't mind using a PS3 or PS4 pad, I'd prefer something without the extraneous sticks and features like this one doesn't have.

I'm still going to post a full review, but I wanted to give quick feedback on it. The Retro Freak sees it as a generic USB controller, not a PS3 controller (despite being officially licensed), so you have to map the buttons the way you want for it to work with each platform the first time. Not a major deal, but definitely a minor annoyance. As for the controller itself, it's very clicky and has very quick action/response. In fact, it's a bit like a nicer version of the controller that's included with the RetroN 5. Anyway, it's a good controller, but not necessarily something I'd recommend because of its unique feel, particularly with the d-pad. I'm going to use it more over the next few days and then render my final verdict in the full review, but I think I'll likely stick with the first party PS3 controller until an ideal pure six button pad presents itself.

I'm still going to post a full review, but I wanted to give quick feedback on it. The Retro Freak sees it as a generic USB controller, not a PS3 controller (despite being officially licensed), so you have to map the buttons the way you want for it to work with each platform the first time. Not a major deal, but definitely a minor annoyance. As for the controller itself, it's very clicky and has very quick action/response. In fact, it's a bit like a nicer version of the controller that's included with the RetroN 5. Anyway, it's a good controller, but not necessarily something I'd recommend because of its unique feel, particularly with the d-pad. I'm going to use it more over the next few days and then render my final verdict in the full review, but I think I'll likely stick with the first party PS3 controller until an ideal pure six button pad presents itself.

As far as I understand PS3 USB Controllers are simply USB Controllers. The PS3 has USB Support. People only license to have the PS brand there and for People to know it will work on PS3, but it's just the generic USB standart. Of course there's the specific button mapping, but all in all it is generic USB.

Sad to see that gone from PS4.

As far as I understand PS3 USB Controllers are simply USB Controllers. The PS3 has USB Support. People only license to have the PS brand there and for People to know it will work on PS3, but it's just the generic USB standart. Of course there's the specific button mapping, but all in all it is generic USB.

Sad to see that gone from PS4.

That's actually not true. It's why those cheap Chinese knock off ds3 pads were able to be turned into bricks by Sony. It has to be licensed or they now now longer work. Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

That's actually not true. It's why those cheap Chinese knock off ds3 pads were able to be turned into bricks by Sony. It has to be licensed or they now now longer work.

Thanks for the info. I didin't know they blocked generic USB Controllers. It's important to only buy products that give Sony a cut. You don't want to buy a Controller that didin't pay Sony any royalties...

By bricked do you mean they just don't work on PS3 or do they actually burn the Controllers?

Does the SLS Sega Saturn Controller still work with PS3?

Thanks for the info. I didin't know they blocked generic USB Controllers. It's important to only buy products that give Sony a cut. You don't want to buy a Controller that didin't pay Sony any royalties...

By bricked do you mean they just don't work on PS3 or do they actually burn the Controllers?

Does the SLS Sega Saturn Controller still work with PS3?

Sorry, wrong word :). They don't break them, but they won't work at all. For a while a few years ago, orange colored and other funky color ds3s were all the rage coming from China. A lot of people bought them. Then one day, a silent update went out, and boom. All at once they didn't work. I was literally JUST about to buy an orange one the day it happened and everyone was freaking out.

I'll be honest I'm not sure who made the Saturn pad you're referring to. If it's licensed by any respectable company, like hori, or heck even mad catz (yuck) you're fine. But if it's coming direct from China with no branding, you're out of luck. Anything bought from a store, basically, you're safe with.

I think I have the second edition of the Retron5 (how to tell for sure?) but still managed to destroy a pin of the SNES cartridge connector.

Other than the three things I mentioned previously, I don't know an absolute way to tell ver1 from ver2...or even if all the improvements were done at the same time...sorry.

That's a real bummer about the pin breaking.

Although I haven't needed to test the service from Hyperkin (yet), I remember seeing a video (yeah another one) where a guy sent in his ver1 and it was repaired with vers2 parts.

Why not give it a try and send them an email? Maybe they'll make good for you too. Also, the service that you get might help other potential AA buyers of R5 or RF to decide which way to go. Just a thought.

Take care,

StephenJ

• Like 1

Sorry, wrong word :). They don't break them, but they won't work at all. For a while a few years ago, orange colored and other funky color ds3s were all the rage coming from China. A lot of people bought them. Then one day, a silent update went out, and boom. All at once they didn't work. I was literally JUST about to buy an orange one the day it happened and everyone was freaking out.

I'll be honest I'm not sure who made the Saturn pad you're referring to. If it's licensed by any respectable company, like hori, or heck even mad catz (yuck) you're fine. But if it's coming direct from China with no branding, you're out of luck. Anything bought from a store, basically, you're safe with.

It'S Sega Logistics Service. As far as I know it's Sega official. It's NOT PS3 licensed though.

I looked at the emulator source code available on the Retro Freak website and it does not seems like there is any SG-1000 support in there, I can see that they activate either genesis, master system (called genesis pcb mode in the emulator code) or gamegear mode based on the rom extension but genesis is the default for anything that is not ending with .sms or .gg and there is no sign of SG-1000 mode anywhere.

I can be wrong although it seems to me they are using an old version of the emulator genplus-gx, the one I have installed on my Wii definitively can play .sg roms (and also plays Sega CD .iso ) but I remember older versions did not.

If you can, try that F16 master system game , if it goes black screen when getting in-game, it means SG-1000 video mode is not emulated. http://www.smspower.org/Development/F16FightingFalcon-SMS

Edited by philyso