IGNORED

Transferring Wii data to a Wii U before Christmas question

cybercylon

So my kids are getting the Super Mario Maker Wii U bundle for Christmas. They already have a Wii system.

I already know how to set up a Wii U, but there is data from a Wii that will have to be transferred to the Wii U. Fortunately, it is just game saves and stuff like that. They never got anything from the eShop.

So in an effort to get this running Christmas morning, do I need to transfer the data and user profiles first or can I go ahead and set up the accounts on the Wii U now and transfer later? My reason for asking is that I believe Super Mario Maker is provided as a download code, and I want to get that taken care of along with any patches so they are good for Christmas morning.

Thanks in advance.

It's not the actual transfer part that is the big deal.... I am just wondering if I should hold off setting up their profiles. With the Wii U, they will just use the emails and login name they already have for the PS3 (unless their user name is taken in the Wii U universe, but I doubt it). But their profiles under the Wii were never online and have different names.

The Wii doesn't have profiles. It has Miis, but those aren't "profiles" in the traditional sense. The Wii mode on the Wii U is the same for all users, all data is shared.

Also, I don't know if you can link more than one Nintendo ID to a console. You can have multiple profiles, but multiple Nintendo IDs (the one you associate with a user name and password for online purchases), I do not think so. All downloaded purchases and save files on the console are available to everyone. You may even have to do a system transfer if you want to make your kids' Miis available on the Wii U dashboard. I don't remember though, it's been a while since I did my transfer.

Each profile can have a separate Nintendo ID. But if you buy a game it is linked to the console not the profile so anyone can play it.

The exception is if you also linked the same ID to a 3DS. For example if you buy Smash Bros. DLC you can buy it for both Wii U and 3DS in one purchase it will only be available to the 3DS account with the same ID.

The Wii side is essentially completely independent of the Wii U side. The sole interaction between modes on the Wii U is the option to export your Mii's in Wii Mode to the Wii U portion for use over there. So it doesn't matter when you do the transfer.

And even if you happen to be giving them a new Wii game for Christmas and they start playing it on their new Wii U before you have the chance to do a Wii content transfer, it's not an issue. The new game save will just be integrated with everything else that you later transfer over from the old system. The only way a save will ever get lost during the transfer process is if you have two saves for the same game.

Then, the save on the Wii U will be overwritten by the Wii save that you're transferring over.

Since the original Wii never went online (they were too young at the time), would they even have IDs?

Like Austin said before this, the Wii never had anything like profiles.

I think you can just transfer game saves via the SD card slot.

This should work for most games, but if the game locks the save down like many online enabled titles did, it won't. So no carrying over of your Mario Kart Wii progress with this method for one example (One of the more notable offenders).

For moving locked saves, it's system transfer or nothing.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Yeah Wii mode is pretty much independant from Wii-U. Much how early Wiis could load game discs into Game Cube mode for backwards compatability, the Wii-U does the same for Wii. You actually have to reboot the Wii-U console into Wii mode to play games. The system transfer tool is located on the Wii-U's Wii menu. You will need to connect the old Wii to the internet and access the Shop channel to download the transfer tool. Both consoles need to connect to the Internet first but the whole transfer process is performed via swapping the SD card between consoles. They don't even need to be powered on at the same time, useful if you only have one TV. You'll get to watch Pikmin carry off pieces of old Wii data which can take up to a couple hours depending on how much software you had. It's really amazing the level of detail that went into the transfer tool.

It is unlikely that Nintendo will discontinue support for Wii mode since there are now VC Wii games that utilize it and it requires no additional hardware. Model 1 Wiis had Game Cube ports and memcard slots which were later eliminated as a cost cutting measure. Wii Mini's complete lack of network connectivity kind of defies logic however.

They don't even need to be powered on at the same time, useful if you only have one TV.

Not too important these days though since the Wii U now has the otherwise largely useless ability to stream video in Wii Mode to the Wii U's gamepad screen. So before anyone goes to the bother of swapping cables back and forth, you already have a built-in 2nd display when doing this. :)

On the off chance someone reads that and wonders just what I meant by calling that feature useless, I say that since the Wii U gamepad can only be used as a display when you're in Wii Mode. It cannot serve as a controller with regular Wii content.

Only Classic Controller enabled Wii downloads off the Wii U eShop can utilize it as a controller.

Edited by Atariboy

Not too important these days though since the Wii U now has the otherwise largely useless ability to stream video in Wii Mode to the Wii U's gamepad screen. So before anyone goes to the bother of swapping cables back and forth, you already have a built-in 2nd display when doing this. :)

On the off chance someone reads that and wonders just what I meant by calling that feature useless, I say that since the Wii U gamepad can only be used as a display when you're in Wii Mode. It cannot serve as a controller with regular Wii content.

Only Classic Controller enabled Wii downloads off the Wii U eShop can utilize it as a controller.

Yeah, aiming a Wiimote at the Gamepad works surprisingly well (it has built in sensor bar), but holding the gamepad at an angle where you can see the action while simultaneously controlling the game via Wiimote is next to impossible. I guess you could use the Gamepad accessory stand on a table to control the game with Wiimotes, but a real HDTV is much better suited.

Gamepad is perfectly suited to playing games in bed, esp with headphones while your spouse, partner, or SO is sleeping. I rarely use the monitor with Wii-U games unless my friend comes over for multiplayer. Or sometimes to get a more immersive experience with games like Bayonetta or Mario Kart or Smash Bros, I simply put up the Gamepad and play with a Pro controller.

Yeah Wii mode is pretty much independant from Wii-U. Much how early Wiis could load game discs into Game Cube mode for backwards compatability, the Wii-U does the same for Wii. You actually have to reboot the Wii-U console into Wii mode to play games. The system transfer tool is located on the Wii-U's Wii menu. You will need to connect the old Wii to the internet and access the Shop channel to download the transfer tool. Both consoles need to connect to the Internet first but the whole transfer process is performed via swapping the SD card between consoles. They don't even need to be powered on at the same time, useful if you only have one TV. You'll get to watch Pikmin carry off pieces of old Wii data which can take up to a couple hours depending on how much software you had. It's really amazing the level of detail that went into the transfer tool.

It is unlikely that Nintendo will discontinue support for Wii mode since there are now VC Wii games that utilize it and it requires no additional hardware. Model 1 Wiis had Game Cube ports and memcard slots which were later eliminated as a cost cutting measure. Wii Mini's complete lack of network connectivity kind of defies logic however.

Thanks. That only dawned on me when I did the setup last night that the two were really separate and I was making things more complicated them they really are.

The original Wii will be kept... it is one that still has the ability to play GC games, though I wish Nintendo would add some of the classics to the eShop.

Well, the Wii U side is set up. Among Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Brothers, and Super Mario 3D world, they might not care about Wii mode right away.

Thanks all for the replies.

Don't forget the awesome New Super Mario Bros U comes with a Luigi U as a DLC patch or you can buy it standalone at retail. I downloaded the DLC patch then the collector in me had to get a physical copy so I bought the green retail case and kept it sealed. LOL! :P

Another thought since you have kids you may want to keep the Wii separate hooked up in the kids bedroom so you can get some Wii-U time and you don't fight over the console. System transfer will delete everything onthe original Wii leaving it pretty much a paperwieght unless they want to start their save files over from scratch. Of course feel free to keep it for Game Cube use either way.

My Wii has remained unplugged since I transfered over to Wii-U. I also have an original Game Cube for Game Cube games and Game Boy Player.

Don't forget the awesome New Super Mario Bros U comes with a Luigi U as a DLC patch or you can buy it standalone at retail. I downloaded the DLC patch then the collector in me had to get a physical copy so I bought the green retail case and kept it sealed. LOL! :P

Another thought since you have kids you may want to keep the Wii separate hooked up in the kids bedroom so you can get some Wii-U time and you don't fight over the console. System transfer will delete everything onthe original Wii leaving it pretty much a paperwieght unless they want to start their save files over from scratch. Of course feel free to keep it for Game Cube use either way.

My Wii has remained unplugged since I transfered over to Wii-U. I also have an original Game Cube for Game Cube games and Game Boy Player.

There will be no fighting over this console. I already have my own Wii U which is plugged into an HDMI port on my second monitor. Over the summer, I ended up getting the house a second PS3. My son and I have very different tastes, so he can play his racing games on one screen and I can get my rpg fix on another system.

I got the New SMB U that also has Luigi U on the same disc awhile ago. Of course they are welcome to play it. Now that the are older, they are pretty good about taking care of the games and putting stuff away.

There will be no fighting over this console. I already have my own Wii U which is plugged into an HDMI port on my second monitor. Over the summer, I ended up getting the house a second PS3. My son and I have very different tastes, so he can play his racing games on one screen and I can get my rpg fix on another system.

I got the New SMB U that also has Luigi U on the same disc awhile ago. Of course they are welcome to play it. Now that the are older, they are pretty good about taking care of the games and putting stuff away.

That's good to hear. Nice to have the means to afford multiple consoles. ;-)

As a lone gamer, I generally don't keep multiples of the same system; I just maintain the ones I have.

• Like 1

That's good to hear. Nice to have the means to afford multiple consoles. ;-)

As a lone gamer, I generally don't keep multiples of the same system; I just maintain the ones I have.

I am by no means rich, but it helps when there are multiple gamers in the house with different tastes. Key thing is patience and looking for deals. My own Wii U was mostly paid for with birthday money, and I happened to catch one of those Best Buy deals of the day when I got it. The one I got for the kids has been on lay away since late August. Games and accessories were bought piece meal here and there and when on sale. My PS 3 is very second hand, but it works, and games for that system are are a lot less expensive these days. Having a side job as a youth soccer referee also helps too, though there are no outdoor soccer games this time of year around here.

Edited by cybercylon