IGNORED

DK 3 is the best in the original Donkey Kong Trilogy

I know most people prefer the original but I enjoy Donkey Kong 3 most out of the original 3 arcade games. I like DK pretty well and it is the first one I ever played and where I met Mario but to me the third game is the cream of the crop and I hate DK Jr. Anyone else a fan of the third in the series?

I really like DK3. I would say DK Jr. gets my vote as best though.

The original is just a classic in so mnay ways. It brought us, what is now, so many standards. A beginning, middle and End. A "Boss". A storyline. Platforming mechanics. There's probably more. And aside from all that is IS fun. But just a little too easy. You have to loop it a few times before it becomes a REAL challenge. And why was the 2nd stage left out of SO many incarnations???

Donkey Kong Jr. refined the gameplay, turned the tables by now playing AS a Kong with Mario being the bad guy, introduced NEW gaming mechanics, making them the focus of gameplay, while retaining the old. And ramped up the difficulty, which some may not like, but I do.

DK 3, continued the tradition of changing the game up, but... in a small step backwards kind of way. It became basically a vertial shooter, with platorming mechanics in place of piloting a ship. Which WAS an innovative idea, but they gave you SO little room to maneuver and the platforms BARELY change between levels. Plus shooter style games were on the way out. Most people were getting tired of the same old motif, and this one at least changed up the graphics (possibley the first cute-em-up style game? don't quote me there...)

Had the platforms taken up, say, the bottom third of the screen, and varied enough with each background that you would devise different strategies to tackle each level, it could have done better... maybe... I'd certainly enjoy it more! That and more than the 1 Super Spray power-up, maybe a spread shot or side shot... but then, back in these days, 1 Power-up was the norm, if you had any!

I really like DK3. I would say DK Jr. gets my vote as best though.

The original is just a classic in so mnay ways. It brought us, what is now, so many standards. A beginning, middle and End. A "Boss". A storyline. Platforming mechanics. There's probably more. And aside from all that is IS fun. But just a little too easy. You have to loop it a few times before it becomes a REAL challenge. And why was the 2nd stage left out of SO many incarnations???

I wouldn't say it's too easy. It's no "Burger Time" in terms of difficulty, but even clearing the first screen is a challenge for most players. Those 80s arcade static screen platformers are all hard.

• Like 1

In going to go with DK1 as the best, DK Jr. 2nd and DK 3 as last. I like them all but part 3 just doesn't have the verity of the the other two. I remember playing it back in the day thinking, "wow part 3" but not feeling the magic of the other two. For instance, in DK1, the pie factory was a big deal. And likewise the electric factory stage on DK2 was and achievement. I didn't get this feeling from DK3. It's been awhile, did I miss something?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

DK featured Mario and Donkey Kong, forever Nintendo icons. DK Jr features the only instance of Mario playing a bad guy. For that, I gotta give props. DKIII features Stan. WTF? Who is Stan? Why did he not participate in future games?

Gameplay wise, DK is the quintessential single screen arcade platformer. DK Jr is a well made sequel. DKIII is an awkward hybrid SHMUP/Platformer, somewhat hard but too easy with a turbofire controller. Yeah it's fun for a bit, but not addictive or iconic like the first two.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Donkey Kong 3. But I give Nintendo credit for throwing out something different and trying a new element into the series. I remember getting cramps in the wrists from all the rapid button pressing in firing the bug spray. The gameplay is a bit uninspiring. I have to admit that the death shot is pretty cool as it does look like after he touches an enemy and he get's stung to death. The original from 1981 will always and forever be my favorite in the trilogy. And also DK Jr. is another one of my favorites.

• Like 1