IGNORED

Wii 2 HDMI converter

Pixelboy

Has anyone ever bought/used a Wii-2-HDMI converter? These are really cheap right now, so I figure I could buy one or two, but they're all coming from China and Hong Kong, and I would just like to get opinions on this converter before I buy.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231726462423

Is it a good converter? Would you recommend it?

Thanks for any input. :)

I haven't used one, but I doubt that upscaler is any better than the one that comes in your tv already.

Well, it's not so much the upscaler that interests me, it's simply the ability to connect the Wii to the TV via HDMI. Unless I'm mistaken, Nintendo hasn't released an official HDMI cable for the Wii.

nintendo.com is down at the moment so I can't double-check.

EDIT: It just came back up. I double-checked, and there doesn't seem to be an official HDMI cable for the Wii. There is one for the Wii U however...

• 2 weeks later...

They work pretty good, I have one I got of Amazon and it upscales nicely on my 50".

720p vs 1080p they look the same but colors look brighter and more natural when set to 720p

http://www.amazon.com/COOLEAD-Upscaling-Converter-Adapter-Output/dp/B00WE0H6JW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1452137391&sr=8-8&keywords=wii+hdmi

thats the one I have and its shipped by Amazon. $10 is still pretty good deal and Amazon has an awesome return policy

Edited by goaltoss

These stretch everything during the upscaling process, so only get one if you intend to play 16:9 games exclusively or don't mind your 4:3 titles being stretched to 16:9 proportions.

These devices sadly lack the ability to select between pillarboxed 4:3 output and stretched 16:9 (Handled when outputting in standard definition by your tv's mode button and manually disabling/enabling stretch mode as appropriate). So unless your HDTV is an uncommon model that allows you to narrow a 16:9 HD input down to 4:3 proportions, your 4:3 titles will be displayed full-screen right along with 16:9 games like Super Mario Galaxy.

Only the odd Wii title or two that self-pillarboxes will be correctly displayed in 4:3 with this device. Such games include Mega Man 9/10, Kirby's Dream Collection, Super Mario All-Stars, Wario Land, and a Mario Party title. All these pillarbox themselves when your Wii is set to 16:9 in order to display correctly without disabling stretching on your tv. Never came across any others that did, including all of my Virtual Console downloads. And all 4:3 GameCube titles will of course be stretched as well.

TVG-WII-0768_05.jpg

If a Wii U is in your future, the aspect ratio is respected there in backwards compatibility mode. Wii U during the upscaling/deinterlacing process will automatically pillarbox your 4:3 only Wii titles while stretching your anamorphic widescreen games, with no need for you to ever intervene at the television end.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I saw these, but i passed. For the Wii, a component cable is the best you are going to do in my opinion. This is a non issue with the Wii U as it has integrated HDMI. Component cables are really cheap as well. Picked up a monster Wii component cable on ebay recenty for $5 free shipping!

• 2 weeks later...

Epilogue on the story: I bought a Wii2HDMI adaptor on eBay, tried it with my Wii Mini earlier today, and I got no picture whatsoever. I bought an HDMI cable just for this, and I tried it with another device on the same TV and it works perfectly. I also tried my Wii Mini with the standard A/V cables that come with the console, and everything works. So the problem is really with the adaptor. I placed a request for a refund on eBay.

Update: Instead of discussing things over with me, the seller jumped over my head and contacted eBay, and lobbied to have my refund request denied on the grounds that a Wii Mini is not a Wii. That's total B.S., and I wasted no time in leaving negative feedback. The nerve of that seller...

• Like 1

Update: Instead of discussing things over with me, the seller jumped over my head and contacted eBay, and lobbied to have my refund request denied on the grounds that a Wii Mini is not a Wii. That's total B.S., and I wasted no time in leaving negative feedback. The nerve of that seller...

Wow, that totally sucks :(

The ones I've seen clearly indicate they don't work with Wii Mini (for obvious reasons, since the console itself is gimped beyond recognition), so it's a shame that that seller didn't have that wording in the description.

The ones I've seen clearly indicate they don't work with Wii Mini (for obvious reasons, since the console itself is gimped beyond recognition), so it's a shame that that seller didn't have that wording in the description.

Well, even if that's true, the seller still deserved the negative feedback he got, not only because the non-compatibility with the Wii Mini is not clearly documented in his auction description, but also because he did not even discuss things over with me before lobbying with eBay. I could have tried the adaptor on a friend's Wii (which is not a Wii Mini) and confirmed that it works. Then I would have conceided that the mistake was mine.

Expanding on what Bill alluded to, I assume it's utilizing the system's component output capabilities for a video source. Since they're eliminated from the Wii Mini, compatibility with this device is of course gone.

On the bright side, now is a great time to buy a nice used Wii. You'd get improved picture quality that's better suited to be paired with this device and it would also work with GameCube games if you purchase the earliest and by far most common model.

Edited by Atariboy

That is correct regarding the Wii mini and the component/hdmi capability. The HDMI adapter relies on the original Wii's component out capability to convert the digital component signal to HDMI. It cannot be done from composite...which is all the Wii mini has the capability of outputting. It is overall not a good choice for a Wii. No component (or HDMI with that converter), no internet abilities, and a much cheaper design. Get a real Wii. It will cost less and you can experience the Wii in its full glory.

• 3 years later...

Bumping this thread to ask if anyone gets wavy diagonal lines with their Wii2HDMI. I finally picked up one of these for about $5 shipped from a US seller, so I wasn't expecting miracles. I'd just like to know if I can expect the same thing if I buy another one from a different seller. The lines are not super prominent, but they are kind of a distraction. I've tested it on a Samsung LCD TV and a Panasonic projector.