IGNORED

Atari ROM Hacks (AtariMax cart image)

FifthPlayer

I've been doing some research on floppy replacement solutions and I was just told that AtariMax's FlashMax can't play the original Mario Bros on a XEGS. I checked on AtariMania and I noticed the game was 64K. One would expect this to run fine unless the FlashMax cart loads something into memory, possible the menu. Not exactly sure so instead of making a bunch of assumptions, I figure some of you could clue me in. Also, why is Mario Bros image 64K? As far as I knew, carts came in 8K blocks and if you needed more, you'd have to use bank selecting. So, this would mean the game took up eight 8K blocks. I didn't realize carts got that big.

• 5 months later...

Update 2016-07-09:

This cart image has been long overdue for an update. I just resuscitated my dead 130XE courtesy of a motherboard replacement from Best Electronics, so now I can test the cart images (and play the games again!)

The new image has the following updates and additions:

• Ms. Pac-Man with Enhancements (MrFish)
  • 8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version (tep392)
(This is the 28-Sept-2014 XEX version, which is not the latest)
  • Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack (Playsoft, darryl1970)
  • A8 Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade HACK (Playsoft, darryl1970)
  • Rainbow Walker - Font Improvement (MrFish)
  • Jumpman: practice any level (playermissile)
  • HERO Improvements (MrFish)
As always, if you know of titles that aren't already included, but should be, post a followup here and include a link if possible. Thanks.
Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 3

I've been doing some research on floppy replacement solutions and I was just told that AtariMax's FlashMax can't play the original Mario Bros on a XEGS. I checked on AtariMania and I noticed the game was 64K. One would expect this to run fine unless the FlashMax cart loads something into memory, possible the menu. Not exactly sure so instead of making a bunch of assumptions, I figure some of you could clue me in. Also, why is Mario Bros image 64K? As far as I knew, carts came in 8K blocks and if you needed more, you'd have to use bank selecting. So, this would mean the game took up eight 8K blocks. I didn't realize carts got that big.

I know this was posted a while back but thought I would answer and post an Atarimax 1mbit cart image for Mario bros XE and Battle Zone XE. Both the original Atari releases are 64K and use bank switching. There is one 8k bank fixed at $A000 and the remaining 8k banks are switched in at $8000. The Atarimax cart uses 8k banks also but there is no fixed bank and all banks switch in at $A000. The image I've attached was an early project I did when I got back into Atari back in 2009. I disassembled the code and modified it to copy the fixed bank into RAM at $8000 and then bank the remaining at $A000. It was primarily a matter of updating all memory references so they pointed to the new bank addresses. Anyway, I've attached a 128k binary that can be flashed to the 1mbit Atarimax cart and contains both games.

BattleZoneXEMarioBrosXE.bin

• Ms. Pac-Man with Enhancements (MrFish)
  • 8bit Pac-man "Arcade" - Final Version (tep392)
(This is the 28-Sept-2014 XEX version, which is not the latest)

It's more appropriate to say that these were both done by Tep392 and myself.

Tep392 added the new sounds and speed adjustments to Ms Pac.

I did most of the graphics for Pac Arcade. Tep392 did all the cut scene graphics and maze graphics.

• Like 3

It's more appropriate to say that these were both done by Tep392 and myself.

Tep392 added the new sounds and speed adjustments to Ms Pac.

I did most of the graphics for Pac Arcade. Tep392 did all the cut scene graphics and maze graphics.

Thanks - I updated the message at the top of the post, with the proper attributions.

Update 2016-07-10:

Looks like I didn't include the latest version of Donkey Kong. The new image has the very latest version. It uses NES-style colors for Mario, rather than the greenish palette. Also, I included the RMT version for the improved music, sound effects and intermission screens.

Edited by FifthPlayer

• 1 year later...

What an amazing collection and testament to folks who improve games and share those improvements here at AtariAge! :)

Thank you very much FifthPlayer for creating, refining and sharing this collection. :thumbsup:

Thank you to all who made these improvements and shared them with the AtariAge community:

darryl1970

Fandal

MrFish

Norbert Kehrer

Paul Lee

phaeron

playermissile

Playsoft

Rybags

slampam

tep392

twh

Wilmunder

Xuel

Many wonderful A8 arcade versions of games here.

Many great improvements to existing A8 games.

Thank you very much to all who made the improvements and shared these games! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Just going through my bookmarks, here's a list of new and updated stuff that needs to go into the updated image. I'm not sure there's enough space to hold it all, but I recall there was still a good amount of space left over in the previous image. If there's not enough space, I'll likely start a second image, Volume 2.

Please add anything else to this list you can think of, with links if you can. I'll generate a new image in the next few days.

• Moon Patrol hack
  • Miner 2049 Alternative Sprite Edition
  • Pole Position Modest Sprite Hack (WIP)
  • Scramble (5200 conversion)
  • Super Cobra (improvements)
  • Xenophobe - Arcade
  • Bosconian
  • Time Pilot
  • A8 Donkey Kong Hack
  • A8 Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Popeye
  • Mario Bros XE Hack
  • Sinistar (AI fixed)
  • Rainbow Walker Font Improvement

<p>Updated 2016-07-10: Looks like I got the 7.2 version of Donkey Kong by mistake, rather than 7.4. I've also chosen the RMT version for the sound effects and intermission screens. Updated 2016-07-09: Several updated titles, and some new additions. Updated 2016-01-18: Updated: latest DK Jr Arcade, Added: Jungle Hunt Arcade, Pirate Pete Updated 2015-12-31: I'm keeping the initial post in this thread up to date with the latest ROM image, as well as list of game links. There's been quite a lot of good work producing ROM hacks that upgrade a lot of classic 8-bit titles to "Arcade" editions. I've made it a little project to track down as many of them as I could, and I burned an AtariMax 8Mbit flash cart to have them to play. Not all of them are ROM hacks - for instance, Wilmunder's Star Raiders II is there, as well as phaeron's Atari 2600 ports. And some of the ROM hacks are works in progress. But that doesn't make them any less fun to play. I've attached a .zip file containing the Maxflash Cartridge Studio workbook file, .CAR and .BIN files, as well as the in-system flasher .ATR file. To use the ATR file, move it onto a real Atari, plug in the Maxflash cart, and boot from the ATR while holding down the OPTION key. Then follow the instructions to flash the cart. Here's a list of what I've included, as well as links to the download sources. If you know of something that's not on the list, please let me know - I'd love to hear about it. And thanks to all these ROM artists for investing their time and effort to make these games that much more special.

F_CK! This is sick... Can't wait to try optimized Star Raiders!!!!

Mario Bros XE Hack

I haven't had any luck getting this to work on a MaxFlash image. If you have an XEX of this that will work, could you please post it? Thanks.

EDIT - Or maybe I just don't have my settings right for the file. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

post-1863-0-58677300-1543778495.jpg

Edited by SS

Please add anything else to this list you can think of, with links if you can

I hacked the Atari and Datasoft versions of Pole Position together, in order to get rid of the corrupt

checkered flag that you see in all other XEX versions of Pole Position on the net. To which I added

one title screen, and then later a second one that is of the Fuji Track -- from the arcade.

There are several different version posted (with low and hi-res text for the Fuji, one using Pole

Position X+, and one normal version of Pole Position without the Fuji track). You'll have to dig through

the thread.

Pole Position - Atari (Fixed Checkered Flag)

• Xenophobe - Arcade

I wouldn't call this an "Arcade" version; in fact, I didn't. None of my hacks are really intended to be so
called arcade versions. My main goal is to improve what's there. Sometimes that involves borrowing
from more arcade-looking graphics and sometimes not.
BTW... a patch for the latest changes has not been uploaded yet.
Edited by MrFish

There are several different version posted (with low and hi-res text for the Fuji, one using Pole

Position X+, and one normal version of Pole Position without the Fuji track). You'll have to dig through

the thread.

Thanks, will do. I was hoping Tix started with one of your cleaned-up Pole Positions, to have one "curated" version of the game rather than many variants. But it's worth having more than one version on the cart to catch various improvements.

I wouldn't call this an "Arcade" version; in fact, I didn't. None of my hacks are really intended to be so

called arcade versions. My main goal is to improve what's there. Sometimes that involves borrowing
from more arcade-looking graphics and sometimes not.

Thank you for the correction. At this point my intent was simply to put together a game checklist for generating the image and run it past the group so I didn't leave anything out. As a result, I didn't put a lot of editorial effort into the list. Personally I'm happy with "Arcade" as a shorthand for "graphical improvements" even if the enhancements don't aim to or completely reproduce the coin-op experience. But purists don't think that way and you are correct that it oversells/misrepresents the enhancements to the general audience.

I also didn't provide attribution to the hack authors, like yourself. That will come along with the update.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

I was hoping Tix started with one of your cleaned-up Pole Positions, to have one "curated" version of the game rather than many variants. But it's worth having more than one version on the cart to catch various improvements.

He did. He's using the one that has the arcade marquee for a splash; then it goes into the game.

I don't mind if you just want to include his hack; I was just bringing it up because some other people may want to know that

I did a couple versions that have more than just the marquee. Personally, I like seeing the little Fuji racetrack, overhead-view,

because it reminds me of how the arcade shows it before a race.

The other thing is that I have plans (have had from the beginning) to do some of my own hacking to the sprites; what I've got

in that thread was supposed to be a precursor to doing further work.

Thank you for the correction. At this point my intent was simply to put together a game checklist for generating the image and run it past the group so I didn't leave anything out. As a result, I didn't put a lot of editorial effort into the list. Personally I'm happy with "Arcade" as a shorthand for "graphical improvements" even if the enhancements don't aim to or completely reproduce the coin-op experience. But purists don't think that way and you are correct that it oversells/misrepresents the enhancements to the general audience.

Nah... no big deal; I'm just making the point that I wasn't intending it to be a "get it as close to the arcade as possible" hack.
I'm not really interested in making most of the hacks I work on that involved; but I think it's worthwhile to smooth out the
rough edges, add a few arcade touches, tweak a few colors, and knock down a bug or two if possible. It kind of helps knock
some of the dust off the old library a little...
Edited by MrFish

OK, here is a more definitive list of what I will try to include in the next version. The previous ROM Hacks image was about 75% full so I suspect I will be producing a Volume 1 and Volume 2.

Each links directly into its thread, to the latest version of each hack I could find. (I tend to skip over experiments like versions with alternate colors for feedback purposes). I'm also using the title of the thread, which should hopefully be more true to what the hack provides.

TIME PILOT - final release (solo/ng)
Scramble (5200 Conversion) (playsoft)
Miner 2049er - Miner Alternative Sprite Edition (doctorclu/TIX)
Moon Patrol hack ! (TIX)
Pole Position modest sprite hack ! (TIX)
Pole Position - Atari (Fixed Checkered Flags) (MrFish)
Xenophobe - Arcade Font (MrFish)
Super Cobra Improvements (MrFish)
Tail of Beta Lyrae hack (MrFish)
Rainbow Walker - Font Improvement (MrFish)
Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack (darryl1970)
A8 Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade HACK (darryl1970)
Popeye Arcade 8-bit conversion (darryl1970)
Mario Bros XE Hack (darryl1970)
Bosconian for the 8-bits (shanti77)
Sinistar ( AI Fixed ) Atarimax 1mb cart file?
  • Like 3

off topic:

Anyone just happen to have these game hacks (well, the ones that are available in XEX form) collected into one ATR?

I only have one Atarimax 8mbit cart and it's needed for SDX at present.

Thanks.

-SteveS

Not off topic.

I'm not interested in creating an ATR, but I've done the legwork of finding links to all the ROMs so that is a headstart if someone else wanted to do it.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I'm a little confused why Time Pilot, Scramble, and Bosconian are on your list. These are ground up creations.

[Edit] Never mind: I just read your first post, and see you're including other new games that you like.

Yeah, the name is a bit of a misnomer. It should be something like "Atari ROM Hacks and other stuff that's cool". There's already a couple of non-hack games on there like Wilmunder's Star Raiders II and some Atari 2600 ports.

• Like 1

OK, here are the XEX versions of the games in this project. I also included the proposed new games. I hope I have them all.

File names are currently as downloaded for the most part. I'll try to change them to reflect full game names with mod/creation credits.

The enclosed ZIP has three ATRs. They all have Hias Reichl's MyPicoDOS loader. One has high speed SIO enabled. One is special purpurpose containg the SDrive customized version of MyPicoDOS. It is set to configure a classic SDrive with divisor 0 without changing the default speed of your SDrive. To make use of it your SDrive will need to have Hias's beta SDrive firmware installed. The third ATR has high speed SIO disabled. This is best used in emulators when D: acceleration (aka SIO patch) is enabled.

With the exception of PAL versions of Bosconian I've tested all the files of the first ATR via my Sloopy SIO2PC-USB/SIO2BSD disk emulator/Raspberry Pi 1B as well as via my barebones SDrive (no buttons, no LEDs, no switches). I didn't test the third ATR.

Enjoy!

-a8isa1

p.s.

Files Included

-rwxrwxrwx 1  5894 Aug 29  2015 adventure.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 21280 Dec  4 09:52 Asteroids-Emulator (2012)(Kehrer)
-rwxrwxrwx 1 56978 Dec  5 20:56 Bosco1_1f.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 81458 Dec  5 20:55 bosco128NTSCe.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 81380 Dec  5 20:55 bosco128NTSC.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 81248 Dec  5 20:55 bosco128PAL.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 53158 Dec  5 20:55 bosco64NtscMax.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 53188 Dec  5 20:55 bosco64NTSCs.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 53158 Dec  5 20:55 bosco64NTSC.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 52981 Dec  5 20:55 bosco64PAL.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 14805 Dec  4 08:26 Centipede Arcade (Namco Font) 9-13.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16535 Dec  9  2017 Dig Dug (1983) 12-9-2017 (alt brown).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16535 Dec  9  2017 Dig Dug (1983) 12-9-2017 (gray).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16535 Dec  9  2017 Dig Dug (1983) 12-9-2017 (purple).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16535 Dec  9  2017 Dig Dug (1983) 12-9-2017.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 27508 Dec  4 08:49 DKArcade_RMT_v7.4.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 21618 Dec  4 08:49 DKArcade_XL_v7.4.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 26092 Dec  4 08:48 DkJr(Arcade)_V21.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 26092 Dec  4 08:48 DkJr(Enhanced)_V21.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1     0 Dec  5 22:06 games_list.txt
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16396 Dec  4 09:27 HERO (6-5-2016).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 24148 Dec  4 09:01 Jungle15.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 62795 Aug 23  2015 Mario XE 128K (1-3 bricks, numbers, shading).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 20679 Jun  7  2012 midnight madness (2600).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16622 Dec  5 17:45 Miner 2049er AS08.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1  9678 Feb  8  2005 Missile Command+.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 24000 Dec  4 14:20 Ms. Pac-man Enhanced.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 23748 Dec  4 08:32 PacmanFinalV2.0.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 16236 Feb 14  2009 PiratePete_vs2.3.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 20796 Dec  4 15:15 Pole Position (Atari, Title, 10-26-2018).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 26156 Dec  4 12:07 Pole Position (Atari, Title, Fuji-HR Text).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 20796 Dec  4 12:07 Pole Position (final rc).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 28732 Dec  4 12:07 Pole Position X+(Atari, Title).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 18310 Apr 21  2003 Pole Position X.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 25100 Apr 21  2003 Pole Position X+.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 24322 Dec  4 09:21 Rainbow Walker (5-1-2016 #2).xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1  4393 Jun 19  2012 seaquest_pixfix.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 24383 Dec  5 20:57 Sinistar (2010)(Atari)(US)f AI for the bad guys AGG.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 22544 Dec  4 09:39 sprint1.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1  3983 Jan 25  2014 stampede.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 15605 Nov  1  2015 StarRaiders-FastDiv3.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 42449 Dec  4 09:17 tapperse.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 28828 Dec  4 10:39 tpilot.xex
-rwxrwxrwx 1 21791 Dec  4 14:22 Wilmunder_Star_Raiders_II_8-2.xex

GameHacksPlus_20181205.zip

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 6