IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Just 2 days to the big reveal .... I hope we will know something about the HW at that point.

The fact there are already running games does not jibe well for being a "novel" platform .... but hey we shall see.

I wonder if kevtris sold them some of his FPGA cores (assuming they do have an FPGA still) .... that would make it all the more interesting :)

And given this is HW speculation thread I speculate.

The @ ColecoChameleon Twitter and ColecoChameleon.org are unofficial and were set up a week ago. We have been working very hard to rope this all back in and have worked miracles the past few months to get to where we are today. We will be revealing a lot more over the next couple weeks and stuff like this stoops to a new low for "someone". Pressing forward!

So the FPGA rumour is false? :sad:

Awwwww... you're so cute, thinking they'll answer that here.

With this project you have to remember- the best bad news is worth waiting for.

Hehehe, it's all good. I walk away from the computer for a few hours and this crapstorm happens when I log back on.

Does someone have a link to the fake twitter account? Even if it's already gone, I might still be able to pull it up via Google cache or something.

• Like 1

I agree with CPUWIZ, you should not be wasting your life on a web forum where grown men are discussing and collecting children's video games from 30 years ago. Shame on you, Keatah!!

Ohh I agree, but it's like a drug. These RetroVGS threads are like those movies on LMN, can't look away!

Oh, the fair is this weekend already? Time sure flies. I hope there will be some kind of reveal to shed some light on this apparently mysterious piece of hardware and disperse the mist.

System on a chip flashback-cheapery? Android based ARM system with SD carts? Genuine ROM-powered custom hardware with "true" cartridges? A lot of bids thus far. We need a bookie to take dem bets ;).

I feel as divided on this as ever. One one hand i like the concept to a certain extent and would be interested to see a new take on the now nearly dead cartridge concept and what (if anything) it has to offer us gamers in our digital age.

On the other hand i think the way this project has been handled is awful, and having Inty and CV-flashback games on carts played with a Wii U-controller on a 150$-ish console is frankly a bit ridiculous and certainly more than just a bit poo.

Would i buy the system or back the kickstarter? No. Not in the state it is now and has been handled this far. Can i change my mind? We'll see after this weekend. I will stay quiet and watch until then.

• Like 3

No, he doesn't. All the specs for the Kickstarter projects I have funded, came from Kickstarter.

A lot of people in this thread have wasted a shitload of time of their lives, especially Keatah, since he wouldn't buy one, no matter what.

EDIT: This should arrive really soon, I had never even heard of that company before reading the specs on Kickstarter. What do you think they would have said, had I come knocking on their door, demanding to know the specs for their upcoming Kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparkdevices/spark-electron-cellular-dev-kit-with-a-simple-data

I don't understand what you're saying. Doesn't this graphic from the Electron campaign count as specs?

f1d658b24a8f73dc782c2e27870c41c6_origina

• Like 1

I don't understand what you're saying. Doesn't this graphic from the Electron campaign count as specs?

That was his point, once the KS starts you get to see the specs, not before. The KS reveals the specs as part of its working.

Here we would like (and I really mean I would like) to know the specs before the crowdfunding effort, and frankly given Coleco is behind them (somewhat?) I still don't get why it's even needed?

We'll see how much they ask for this time, last time 2M$ didn't go well, if they ask 200K$ to start production I wonder how come Coleco cannot foot that bill .... not sure what to make of the whole situation, if they are back (Coleco I mean) they sure can share 200K$ risk with Mike and Co.

I think I can already state that I will only buy after the KS has ended as I have no particular need to rush the purchase; if it is successful it will be readily available (used as well, not everyone will hang onto it as if their lives depended on it), if it doesn't succeed than it's nobody's problem anymore, if it's meh .... then used it is going to be very cheap.

Example: I bough the OnLive micro console for 10US$ 1-1.5Y before it closed down (or Sony bought it as it were), I got it out of my system I wasn't impressed but wasting just 10US$ on it was fine for me ... I spend more in other junk anyway. So the Coleco Chameleon may end up in the same "pile", scooped up for little to nothing if need be. If instead it amounts to something intriguing there will be some time, I leave the early bird honor to the early birds ... for real!!

Edited by phoenixdownita

f1d658b24a8f73dc782c2e27870c41c6_origina

I don't know what the heck I'd use it for. $2.99 for the first Mbyte and $.99 for each additional Mbyte per month is not a lot of bandwidth to work with. If my ISP gave me those data rates, I'd be out for an arm and a leg after just one page view on the "Wasting your life one GIF at a time..." thread. I'm not paying $100 to see giggling boobies or crazy cat pix... :roll: