IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

At least the system specs logo was colorful...

http://nebula.wsimg.com/88e612758ea93c5120c59fbe98073877?AccessKeyId=E647432F0367AB6020A0&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I wonder what's inside?

Considering Jean-François Dupuis of CollectorVision has confirmed on Facebook less than a day ago that one of his games will be a pack-in, you have to assume that the specs are more or less finalized, particularly if they're going to be demonstrating something at the Toy Show. Why they're not sharing those yet is anyone's guess, but perhaps it's to head off any potential criticism prior to the show (which is a reasonable business strategy).

Well if we are for sure getting a real game pack in, that's a start. Now the KS prices need to be lower than retail and retail must be affordable for this to even stand a chance.

I still don't understand how specs are even an issue to play indie games. You'd swear this thing had to run Fallout 4.

Price posted

rvgs_021116_price.png

Let's see what that FPGA can do. So I guess it doesn't cost $300 minimum to make a system with one.

Even without mass-production or a Kickstarter it is definitely possible to make an FPGA system for about US$220: http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

Edit: Oh I see that we were being trolled by that fake Twitter account...

New board design took a lot of cost out.

Wait a sec. What's going on?? I can swear you're trolling us, if so I do tip my hat to you. The "Coleco Chameleon" twitter handle is not Mike's usual account (which would be @retrovgs) and when I go to the linked website "colecochameleon.org" it it's yours and it has this on the front:

rvgs_021116_twit.png

Then it has stuff like this on it:

THE BEST Video game system in Coleco

Coleco

Was a toy company in the 1980s, known for its mass-produced version of Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and its video game consoles, the Coleco Telstar dedicated consoles and ColecoVision. The company is really just aholding company.

RETRO Video Gaming

A company that is run by lizard pagans that eat at salad bars.

Kickstarter

A great alternative to a failure site like indiegogo

$150 Our Vision for Games VGS RETRO

Give us your money and ideas so we can make profits with FPGA technology. Here is what people are talking about!

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 2

The @ ColecoChameleon Twitter and ColecoChameleon.org are unofficial and were set up a week ago. We have been working very hard to rope this all back in and have worked miracles the past few months to get to where we are today. We will be revealing a lot more over the next couple weeks and stuff like this stoops to a new low for "someone". Pressing forward!

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Wait a sec. What's going on?? I can swear you're trolling us, if so I do tip my hat to you. The "Coleco Chameleon" twitter handle is not Mike's usual account (which would be @retrovgs) and when I go to the linked website "colecochameleon.org" it it's yours and it has this on the front:

rvgs_021116_twit.png

Then it has stuff like this on it:

I looked it up, this is a bogus site and twitter account. not affiliated with Coleco or the Chameleon, someones idea of having fun i guess. oh and it was you that posted the price tweet orginally, I just responded, I dont troll....

Edited by thevnaguy

The press couldn't possibly care less - assuming they can find them in the first place. Just looking at the map... it'd be sheer luck if someone stumbled across their booth, much less took the time to seek them out intentionally.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not the press would care, just that RVGS may be hoping for such exposure. I do think the online buzz generated with the initial COLECO announcement is proof-enough they are interested to an extent.

Forbes seems to care:

https://twitter.com/GeekDadGamer/status/696466687076528128

• Like 1

The @ ColecoChameleon Twitter and ColecoChameleon.org are unofficial and were set up a week ago.[...] stuff like this stoops to a new low for "someone".

In retrospect that might have been a good Twitter handle to grab and migrate to. Should be easy enough to shut down though: https://support.twitter.com/forms/impersonation

The @ ColecoChameleon Twitter and ColecoChameleon.org are unofficial and were set up a week ago. We have been working very hard to rope this all back in and have worked miracles the past few months to get to where we are today. We will be revealing a lot more over the next couple weeks and stuff like this stoops to a new low for "someone". Pressing forward!

Well, at least it's not so lonely at the bottom anymore, huh Mike?

And in other news: MIKE IS BACK!!!! Our savior from optical and downloadable media has returned to take us to the promise land!

Well, at least it's not so lonely at the bottom anymore, huh Mike?

And in other news: MIKE IS BACK!!!! Our savior from optical and downloadable media has returned to take us to the promise land!

You're not looking good here man...

p.s. Since I posted, I'll write a bit more. As someone who promised not to post on this anymore, and reading the Topic without interacting, it's interesting how the Posts fluctuate between People just talking about a product, making fun of the Situation, and just making fun of the People involved. I know it's fun, I've done my share of it, but I do think the fair Thing would be to focus on the product at Hand. I have a very negative Impression of this whole Project, but I still think the People involved deserve to be treated with respect. Even if sometimes they make Little to earn it.

Now to Mike: If you want to lead the conversation on your product, you should be taking part in the conversation by actually telling People what's going on. These topis are full of stuff you don't want to read because you're not telling anyone what's actually going on, so the speculations go on and on. You're going to Kickstarter. You have to tell People what the specs for this System are.

Edited by leods
  • Like 4

If you're saying I'm the one that made that website, you're wrong. I have my suspicions but I'll keep them to myself. Accusing someone without evidence would be a "new low"

I didn't mean that at all. I meant you're just responding in an imature way. I know, you're kinda just hitting back at the same Level, but if you want to criticyse them for their lack of professionalism you should probably stay at a more mature Level of communication.

As for the twitter account, whatever. That's just someone making a joke. I don't even care.

• Like 1

I didn't mean that at all. I meant you're just responding in an imature way. I know, you're kinda just hitting back at the same Level, but if you want to criticyse them for their lack of professionalism you should probably stay at a more mature Level of communication.

As for the twitter account, whatever. That's just someone making a joke. I don't even care.

Oh, please. Don't even try to white knight like that, if anyone looks in your post history they will find plenty of your posts in this topic loaded with sarcasm and vitriol all for the sake of what you find to be funny. You and I are very similar but the difference is that I acknowledge my personality and I don't turn it off so I can look better in front of anyone, I own it.

• Like 5

WOW! Speaking of white knighting I am amazed at Socal's indignation as the sober and serious CEO outraged at such foolishness. I seem to recall a different Mike that participated gleefully in our troll fake auction of the ET Cart as promoted on GameGavel because he thought it might lead to promo for the site.

They used out Shagged-U-Are Platypus but mispelled it and didn't throw us a link to the show, we grant permission but how about we not get stiffed for the plug, again.

• Like 4

You're going to Kickstarter. You have to tell People what the specs for this System are.

No, he doesn't. All the specs for the Kickstarter projects I have funded, came from Kickstarter.

A lot of people in this thread have wasted a shitload of time of their lives, especially Keatah, since he wouldn't buy one, no matter what.

EDIT: This should arrive really soon, I had never even heard of that company before reading the specs on Kickstarter. What do you think they would have said, had I come knocking on their door, demanding to know the specs for their upcoming Kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparkdevices/spark-electron-cellular-dev-kit-with-a-simple-data

• Like 1

Oh, please. Don't even try to white knight like that, if anyone looks in your post history they will find plenty of your posts in this topic loaded with sarcasm and vitriol all for the sake of what you find to be funny. You and I are very similar but the difference is that I acknowledge my personality and I don't turn it off so I can look better in front of anyone, I own it.

I made exactly one post in this Topic loaded with sarcasm directed at the Retro VGS. I made 0 Posts directed at specific members of the Project. I also made 0 judgement of your character. I presented an oppinion about one specific Action of yours. I'm not talking about your personality.

But the whole "I still think the People involved deserve to be treated with respect." Wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the Topic as a whole, because as I said, this line between poking fun at the goofyness of the product, and straight out making fun of the People involved is crossed now and then.

But at the end this is just my personal perception and Feeling about this. If People disagree it's not for me to do anything about it.

WOW! Speaking of white knighting I am amazed at Socal's indignation as the sober and serious CEO outraged at such foolishness. I seem to recall a different Mike that participated gleefully in our troll fake auction of the ET Cart as promoted on GameGavel because he thought it might lead to promo for the site.

They used out Shagged-U-Are Platypus but mispelled it and didn't throw us a link to the show, we grant permission but how about we not get stiffed for the plug, again.

When it impacts a product launch, I guess it can affect your demeanor. The ET cart thingy I believe was meant to poke fun at those buying buried ET carts (heck I even did a parody one with a buried CGE Adventures Cart), it was not affecting a brand or a product trying to launch. Not only is the Chameleon being dragged through the mud, but also the Coleco name being associated with it. I know Chris Cardillo would like to talk to you about why there is so much hate for the project as both he and Mark Thomann are behind it (its not only Socal behind the project, there are many people involved). If I am permitted, can I give him your number so you can talk with him? So he can understand why there is so much hate for this product? Or questions could be submitted for the podcast interview ColecoVisions Podcast will be doing soon, I have already collected quite a few good ones (good and bad) that are being compiled to be sent to Chris. He told me a great saying today - "Haters are his Motivators" :) I am looking forward to being at the Coleco Booth Saturday to help promote Coleco and the Chameleon :)

A lot of people in this thread have wasted a shitload of time of their lives, especially Keatah, since he wouldn't buy one, no matter what.

It's my time to waste. And while I wouldn't buy one for myself - I would buy it for others as door prizes and stuffers and prelude gifts. Provided it is a quality piece.

It would also seem that RetroVGS threads bring out the worst. Whereas other threads bring out the best. Says something for the personality doing ragging. Also says something of the type of person that would buy such a console.

Edited by Keatah

I agree with CPUWIZ, you should not be wasting your life on a web forum where grown men are discussing and collecting children's video games from 30 years ago. Shame on you, Keatah!!

• Like 6

When it impacts a product launch, I guess it can affect your demeanor. The ET cart thingy I believe was meant to poke fun at those buying buried ET carts (heck I even did a parody one with a buried CGE Adventures Cart), it was not affecting a brand or a product trying to launch. Not only is the Chameleon being dragged through the mud, but also the Coleco name being associated with it. I know Chris Cardillo would like to talk to you about why there is so much hate for the project as both he and Mark Thomann are behind it (its not only Socal behind the project, there are many people involved). If I am permitted, can I give him your number so you can talk with him? So he can understand why there is so much hate for this product? Or questions could be submitted for the podcast interview ColecoVisions Podcast will be doing soon, I have already collected quite a few good ones (good and bad) that are being compiled to be sent to Chris. He told me a great saying today - "Haters are his Motivators" :) I am looking forward to being at the Coleco Booth Saturday to help promote Coleco and the Chameleon :)

We would totally have Chris and Mark on our show, you know we are Coleco fans. It was my first system instead of an Atari which I failed to really appreciate at the time, that it was closer to the NES in technology than it was to the 2600. It is unfotunate they didn't look into who they were doing business with closer.

• Like 1