IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

David Giltinan (@DaGiltyMan) tweeted at 3:01 PM on Fri, Feb 26, 2016:

@driph Plan has changed actually. Got the call that we won't need to go the crowdsourcing route. More info will be at @RETROVGS and FB page.

(https://twitter.com/DaGiltyMan/status/703323918891950080?s=03)

That name is familiar ... isn't he the same guy who posted that seventeen-second "there you have it, it's for real, it's a thing" video from Toy Fair? The video that was supposed to reassure everybody that their "prototype" wasn't a fake?

(EDIT: mickcris just posted the same video! I knew I'd seen that name before!)

Yeah ... I don't believe a word. They got a call saying that they wouldn't need to go the crowdfunding route after all, on the day the campaign was supposed to start???

I think this is just a way for them to save face and buy more time, and then regroup with a better plan or slink away silently after the heat is off. I can't imagine that any private investor in his/her right mind would be willing to trust Mike even with enough money to go to the store for a pack of smokes.

• Like 5

Honestly, this makes sense. Originally when they announced the Chameleon they said they'd gotten new investors and that this product would happen regardless of a crowdfunding campaign. Then, they went back to talking nothing but Crowdfunding. So, i got confused then.

I'd be happy to crowdfund special editions, had all this junk not just not happened, lol. but... if it came to market still, if it hits a store shelf, then i'll pick one up. I'm really good at this stuff, maybe i take up FPGA hobby stuff on it, and play whatever it cobbles together.

BUT... the stuff the last few weeks has been strangely both inexcusable and priceless.

So, for everyone's sake, we'll hope that's accurate.

Cant hurt anyone if it comes out on it's own.

David Giltinan (@DaGiltyMan) tweeted at 3:01 PM on Fri, Feb 26, 2016:
@driph Plan has changed actually. Got the call that we won't need to go the crowdsourcing route. More info will be at @RETROVGS and FB page.
(https://twitter.com/DaGiltyMan/status/703323918891950080?s=03)

Who is this guy?

The only name that matters in Retro Gaming Journalism. He is the co-host of the wildly successful talk retro podcast, and reviewer of RETRO magazine. Inside tip is that this is being privately funded, so no need for Kickstarter nonsense. Hate on haters! If you want one you will have to line up like everyone else on Black Friday... Good luck getting one when this is the hottest thing in gaming this year!

That name is familiar ... isn't he the same guy who posted that seventeen-second "there you have it, it's for real, it's a thing" video from Toy Fair? The video that was supposed to reassure everybody that their "prototype" wasn't a fake?

Yeah ... I don't believe a word. I think this is just a way for them to buy more time, and then regroup with a better plan or slink away silently after the heat is off.

It was probably the best "out" they had. If it is for real though, its a good thing too for potential backers that might have lost money on Kickstarter. But not sure why they would have waited till after the kickstarter was supposed start to announce it (which isnt really official yet anyways).

• Like 1

I can only imagine how badly Mike wants to say something... anything at all about what's going on. But can't due to his new partners etc. Perhaps they have him hog-tied in a locked room so that he can't communicate with the public.

We all now know how he is... it's gotta be killing him. Sooner or later something has to give. That you can count on!

• Like 1

I'm wondering if this is a saving face move due to Kickstarter denying them. Sure, you could have investors backing the whole thing but how does it hurt to "accquire" extra money from people when you don't really need it? I bet the Kickstarter was a finger-crossing hope to attract MORE investors when they had this thing funded all along.

One thing is for sure: Mike Kennedy is likely to be pulled as the face of the project as damage control.

Edited by Merendino
  • Like 2

Yeah ... I don't believe a word. They got a call saying that they wouldn't need to go the crowdfunding route after all, on the day the campaign was supposed to start???

I think this is just a way for them to save face and buy more time, and then regroup with a better plan or slink away silently after the heat is off. I can't imagine that any private investor in his/her right mind would be willing to trust Mike even with enough money to go to the store for a pack of smokes.

More likely they got a call that they CAN'T go the crowd funding route.

Or that it's just an outright lie that's hard to prove.

• Like 3

The only name that matters in Retro Gaming Journalism. He is the co-host of the wildly successful talk retro podcast, and reviewer of RETRO magazine. Inside tip is that this is being privately funded, so no need for Kickstarter nonsense. Hate on haters! If you want one you will have to line up like everyone else on Black Friday... Good luck getting one when this is the hottest thing in gaming this year!

you made me laugh insanely

• Like 3

I was thinking that this could be a bit of a dodge; a route where they aren't obligated to show off the inner workings until they want to... which is reasonable*... but no way to get people on side. They must be hoping to just market this directly to big box stores and to causal fans/ families that don't know any better, etc. ... which seems like an even more ludicrous pipe dream than we've already seen. If they can't get any support from the retro gaming community, it's simple; don't support the retro gaming community. Almost makes sense, in a way.

Just when this can't get any more weird... it gets way more weird.

* sort of, if there hadn't been two prior attempts with ridiculous results

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 3

It was probably the best "out" they had. If it is for real though, its a good thing too for potential backers that might have lost money on Kickstarter. But not sure why they would have waited till after the kickstarter was supposed start to announce it (which isnt really official yet anyways).

More likely they got a call that they CAN'T go the crowd funding route.

Or that it's just an outright lie that's hard to prove.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Coleco licensing deal was pulled, or if Kickstarter showed them the door, or both. Either way, they knew that nobody would be able to disprove what they said, because all we'd have to go on is their word about what happened, so they basically came out first and said that they planned it all along.

They've put many times more effort into coming up with slippery excuses than they put into their "prototype" at Toy Fair.

• Like 1

It doesn't "prove" anything, but it fails to prove that it wasn't!

Radio broadcasts!

Morse Code..

I think this is just a way for them to save face and buy more time, and then regroup with a better plan or slink away silently after the heat is off.

History is full of investors coming in at the last minute.

A great advantage to Mike and the gang is that they don't have to answer to people on the internet. Now that things are essentially behind closed doors, they can do anything they please, as can we. Because with crowdfunding comes crowd-discussing

And as a gamer, I can only either buy or not buy what's put in front of me.

• Like 1

If this is dead, I dont understand why they are still bothering to delete comments from their facebook page. Unless they have paid some company to do that and they were paid till the end of the month or something.

I'm still not convinced that they have been deleting comments this afternoon, here's a few that have been up for a few hours:

post-39360-0-43719600-1456529990_thumb.png

I would have thought that first one would have been censored straight away.

• Like 2

I call bullshit.

If the out was this easy, Mike would have announced it proudly by now without hesitation, no drama. He's trying to write a perfect little fairy tale where Cinderella went missing because a new and completely different Prince Charming swept her off her feet and they lived happily ever after. Don't fall for it.

If this means his crowdfunding plans are completely dead and never to be revived again, then great! I welcome that, I have no problem with it. But I seriously doubt that's truly what's going on. You guys fall for a lot of his shit, don't fall for this one. It doesn't make sense with what's happened this morning.

• Like 8

I'm still not convinced that they have been deleting comments this afternoon, here's a few that have been up for a few hours:

attachicon.giffacebook.png

There have been a lot more that are missing now. If you sort them by "most recent" you will see the times dont match up right. I have refreshed the page quite a few times and have seen tons of them disappear.

If I was a betting man, my money is on elmer's theory. Coleco pulls the plug, Mike is completely screwed, yet is insane enough to tend to and delete comments. Triverse being cryptic is tied to elmer's guess like glue.

And if there's one thing elmer knows, it's glue.

Or else I'm totally wrong. Either way.

What, no Elmer's Chee-Wees?

cheewees.jpg

Sorry for my late reply. Been away for two hours! :P

• Like 1

I call bullshit.

If the out was this easy, Mike would have announced it proudly by now without hesitation, no drama. He's trying to write a perfect little fairy tale where Cinderella went missing because a new and completely different Prince Charming swept her off her feet and they lived happily ever after. Don't fall for it.

If this means his crowdfunding plans are completely dead and never to be revived again, then great! I welcome that, I have no problem with it. But I seriously doubt that's truly what's going on. You guys fall for a lot of his shit, don't fall for this one. It doesn't make sense with what's happened this morning.

Agreed. This doesn't just smell, it doesn't just stink, It REAKS of BS.

• Like 3