IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Amazing, we are 3 for 3 at unmasking the fake prototypes! I looked up what I did the research earlier today but thought I'd sound like a raving conspiracy nut so didn't post it- Kevtris's speculations tipped me over the edge. At least we know that whoever is updating the Facebook page is monitoring this thread- took less than an hour from my post and 10 minutes from the bog reveal to take the clearest photo down.

I'm imagining the board of directors in a meeting...

Mike: We need a prototype.

Mike: I think I have something in the garage!

Mike: The AA people will never figure it out.

Mike: They won't even try!

Mike: It certainly looks cool.

Mike: It's blue!

Mike: I have an LED, but no wire.

Mike: It already has a wire!

Mike: Better tape the connector.

Mike: Where'd the tape go?

/with apologies; it's late; time for bed; I did edit a lot of it out, though. ;)

• Like 10

Dear MK (RVGS, CC, etc):

I would sincerely ask that you just stop at this point.

Please stop whatever this incomprehensible repeat nonsense is and just walk away.

Please go find another perceived consumer base to plague with your repeatedly incredibly ill conceived and careless dreams of riches.

Sincerely,

Everone who actually cares about retro gaming and has more than two functioning brain cells.

PS: That's quite a lot of us.

• Like 15

Please don't stop, as the Retro Community needs good loud laughs

PS

We need more random blurry pictures of random 90's electronics jammed into a Atari Shell

well to be fair, isn't that what the jag was anyway *ducks and runs

• Like 2

That's awesome! I love the "too fragile to open" crack, too.

12805782_1069646559781413_4034736581284115379_n.jpg

Seriously, I must remember to pick up one of RetroUSB's consoles when they're ready. Looks like they're doing a much better prototyping job than Mike and "Mr. Li"!

• Like 5

Damn it! I spent two hours in my garage going through old boxed of computer crap only to be beaten to the punch! Oh well... At least this third "prototype" is also known to be a fake.

• Like 1

I am not surprised it was discovered that a DVD capture card is shoved in there... I am surprised that it was identified so quickly.

Future Mike: "Of course it's a PCI capture card! I took the picture; there it is! It was the quickest way to get VGA out. Our prototype didn't have it ready yet, so our hardware guy just plugged this card into our FPGA core. I didn't expect it to explode into this huge thing. It was just the easiest way to get VGA out for the photo!"

• Like 4

This honestly can't be happening. This is all a dream, right? I'm really having trouble processing this new development. I didn't trust Mike & Co at all, but I would have never guessed they'd have pulled something like this. Absolutely ridiculous!

• Like 7

Woot! Good job on the CSI everyone! I knew we'd figure it out. I was sure that was some black tape inside there and turns out it was. At this point, I cannot fathom why he keeps making fake protos. The hole he's dug is so deep now that there literally is no way to recover. Changing the name a third time won't wash the stink of failure off this one.

I just have one picture.

giphy.jpg.gif

• Like 15

Mike, if you're reading this (and I bet you are) please STAY THE F**K AWAY from the videogame community. Crawl back to your day job as a Sandwich Artist and never bother us with your bullshit again.

To Steve Woita, Steve Rosenbaum, Ben Herman, Phil Adam and Paul Wylie:

Time for one or all of you to step forward and come clean. Either take responsibility for this shitpile or throw Mike under the bus (it's getting really crowded under there with all those hardware guys).

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 11

A slight correction there, simply due to the many variations of the story.... What your referring to was not the first, but rather the 3rd prototype by the 4th person asked to design this system (with 3 out of 4 participating, Ben declined. The BOM for the original design was much much lower as it was a simple PPC derivative (think super sega genesis) totally unfinished because as I posted I was simply dropped from the project. But I agree with the vast majority of your assessment, just so many people revolving through this story.

Yeah, was referring to the version before the IGG campaign that I was involved with. I didn't even know there were previous versions before then. After IGG I'm guessing nothing has happened.

• Like 1

I'm glad you stuck to your guns and didn't get ripped off. Besides I don't think they would know what to do with your cores. A core is useless without the FPGA properly wired to a cart bus/SD card, HDMI port, controller/USB, etc...

Besides, what if Mike got your cores, and then his chameleon Kickstart failed, and you sold your Zimba 3000, and Mike accused you of stealing his cores that you licensed? That would suck donkey and I wouldn't put it past them at this point... :mad:

I doubt that would happen- I was going to target it to his hardware then just give him the binary. I wasn't going to give up my verilog unless they paid more. The supposed agreement was that he'd get a non-exclusive license to it. There's no way I'd give exclusivity seeing how I wanted to use it for my own purposes too (also I have licensed parts of my cores already so exclusivity is a nonstarter).

• Like 1