IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

How exactly does Kickstarter work?

It is my understanding that you need a working prototype TO NOT BE SUSPENDED from Kickstarter. They believe you when you say you have a working prototype. However, you don't need to prove your prototype works to get on Kickstarter. You only need to prove your prototype works after you get on Kickstarter, and after someone raises questions about your prototype.

Has anyone heard of Kickstarter refusing to list a project on their site? I have heard of projects suspended from Kickstarter after they got on the site, but I have never heard of a project that Kickstarter wouldn't allow to begin with.

I don't know the details of kickstarter other than hearing second hand 'you need a prototype for a hardware project'. I have no idea how much, if any, due diligence they do on projects. They probably leave that to potential backers since they are really taking all of the risk. regardless, I can understand not having the project done, or a prototype polished, but rushing this for the toy fair and pushing this scam further really damages their/his reputation and makes it hard for me to believe in any effort made to salvage this.

other than maybe selling custom color jaguar molds - I don't know if that would be profitable - but I think he has demonstrated he can do that :-D

I have difficulty imagining how this could possibly have been handled worse than this "just silence".

I can't think of any way to even attempt to come back from this except for Mike saying "I was hit by a truck and was in a coma." ... at which point I'd ask to see the hospital bill.

• Like 3

Maybe Mike woke up this morning and thought to himself, "what the hell have I been doing with my life?" He went outside, got on his bike, grabbed some sun and fresh air, and forgot all about the Coleco Chameleon, Facebook, Atariage, and this stupid Kickstarter. Then just as he was starting to live again, he got hit by a bus.

• Like 4

I hear Knight Rider is the pack-in.

The pack-in is a roll of electrical tape, allowing you to turn the Coleco Chameleon in to whatever system your heart desires. Want to play Neo Geo games? Tape a AES board in there! Want to play 2600 games? Grab a 2600 Jr board and the included tape, then you're good to go!

• Like 7

I'm honestly wondering what the odds are of a complete wipe of the FB page, website, and uploaded videos are as opposed to any statement. Maybe they're (they? He?) trying to find the perfect book of Wacky Mad-Libs to use to write the Kickstarter copy. Maybe they are minutes away from "blowing the nerds away" (which would be a waste of candy)

• Like 4

To answer questions about how KS works, since I've managed or consulted on several campaigns myself.

The system is almost entirely automated, you create your campaign and once it's created you submit it for review. The review is automated where they basically check to see if your rewards tiers aren't bizarrely out of proportion, and you've filled out all the fields, and basically wrote enough words so it's not like 2 sentences.

They check for certain keywords and phrases and if it passes some threshold the campaign gets flagged for manual review. If it's also a hardware project they randomly flag them in addition for manual review more often, but the majority are automated.

Once it has passed automatic or manual review, you can click "launch" at any time and start the campaign.

Kickstarter relies primarily on people reporting bad actors rather than trying very hard to pre-emptively filter them. Basically if your campaign breaks any rules and gets passed the filters, there's a strong possibility of it being canceled.

Edited by Chocobro
  • Like 2

Since this is a "speculation" thread, I think that it's not unreasonable to start speculating on "WTF happened"!

Here's my guess ... I suspect that River West got cold feet about the negative publicity and the potential damage to the Coleco brand, especially after the "fraud" at the Toy Fair, and they yanked the Coleco license away from Mike a few days ago.

The "fraud" gives them perfect reason to do so, and to totally come out smelling-of-roses as the guys that protected a beloved American brand from the charlatan that had fooled them into letting him almost ruin it.

That might also explain how Triverse seems to have some inside knowledge of today's disaster, even though he's carefully not said anything.

Just total speculation ... but that was what this thread was set up for.

• Like 11