IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Fresh from their Facebook Page:

"We’re delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to make it even better!

Last week during Toy Fair in New York, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Coleco Chameleon to the industry, gamers and retailers for the first time. Their response was beyond anything we’d imagined. Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system, which meant we’d need more time to solidify those partnerships and maximize the content.

Our team’s overriding goal has always been to deliver the best possible system and experience for gamers. If there’s ever anything we can do to enhance the product, we believe the extra time is worth it. Therefore, we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype and work with developers on having the best possible content. This delay will not affect our overall launch date for the Coleco Chameleon.

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system soon on our Facebook page, and we’ll focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

We’ll keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support.

"

Yay, ten more weeks of drama to follow on this thread while we wait! :P

• Like 3

12747414_954528807949723_141921621085710

So I don't see anything sticking out the back like it did at the toy fair and hard to see, but I don't see the metal trim around the cart port.

they need to show the back

New photos from the Facebook announcement. It has a power LED! The second one gives a bit of a look behind the curtain.

attachicon.gif12768300_954528481283089_1242178474011934437_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12748028_954528487949755_4729859836810939480_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12711304_954528484616422_5941019061207211848_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12747512_954528804616390_4229174371091139321_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12747414_954528807949723_1419216210857105822_o1.jpg

Many of the Kickstarter posts have just been removed, deleting all the comments on them. Could be censorship or just rewriting history.

They actually have a real device in there! I'm flabberghasted! :o

Also ran out of daily likes,,, Again! :lolblue:

EDIT: That does seem eerily similar to the font used in the Piko 4-in-1 SNES multicart menu though... :ponder:

• Like 3

that board could be anything. maybe someone recognizes it though. they could have pulled it out a tivo or any other sort of electronic device. Its possibly not a dev board at all, but maybe it is.

All we can tell is that the board has several quad flat pack ICs of different sizes, and several large electrolytic caps in the back left corner.

It looks like 2 separate boards, one with the caps in the back left, and the other in the front with the quad flat packs.

It is definitely not a SNES mini, because the quad flat pack ICs are in different sizes and locations.

However, this could be a SNES clone, or a Hyperkin/Yobo/Retron SNES clone.

We would really know a lot if there was a clear picture of the board, without a translucent shell blocking all the details.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 1

that board could be anything. maybe someone recognizes it though. they could have pulled it out a tivo or any other sort of electronic device. Its possibly not a dev board at all, but maybe it is.

my problem with that is, if this is a working prototype, why wasnt used in NY? that would have keep everyone quiet about it, or show it the next day and silence any rumors... no, this is way too shady!

• Like 3

All we can tell is that the board has several quad flat pack ICs of different sizes, and several large electrolytic caps in the back left corner.

It is definitely not a SNES mini, because the quad flat pack ICs are in different sizes and locations.

However, this could be a SNES clone, or a Hyperkin/Yobo/Retron SNES clone. It could be anything except for a Nintendo made SNES or SNES mini.

We would really know a lot if there was a clear picture of the board, without a translucent shell blocking all the details.

or the circuit board out an old fax machine. just needs to have a shiny LED right?

It looks like 2 separate boards, one with the caps in the back left, and the other in the front with the quad flat packs.

However, this could be a SNES clone, or a Hyperkin/Yobo/Retron SNES clone.

there is no way they would put another SNES board in the system. They were never going to show what was in there at the toy fair. this is defiantly not what was there. Whats in there now is probably a mother board from a laptop computer or something.

• Like 1

I really don't want to have to do another emergency podcast. Sorting out this bullshit is about as much fun as organizing dog turds by size and shape*.

*hypothetically speaking =P

I would love to hear another rant against this, but objectively speaking, if it were my podcast I would probably not approach the topic again until there's a more concrete announcement. All that happened today was that Mike didn't launch a Kickstarter... I see no real news beyond that.

• Like 2

I have difficulty imagining how this could possibly have been handled worse than this "just silence".

I can't think of any way to even attempt to come back from this except for Mike saying "I was hit by a truck and was in a coma." ... at which point I'd ask to see the hospital bill.

as much as I think this thing Mike K has presented is a scam, I hope his mental health is ok right now. I'd imagine that the pressure of this situation and all the criticisms made would be hard to deal with. I don't think that he has a prototype product, but I don't wish any harm on the guy

• Like 2

Wow. Great Leader Mike Jong Un is going hard on the censorship in the Democratic Republic of North Coleco.

I went to their Facebook, saw their stupid excuse to not explain the SNES-gate scandal and avoid Kickstarter and their replacement console conveniently very different from the SNES-in-Jags-clothes.
Saw that some 39 people had commented on their video along with a crapton of "angry" reactions, clicked to "read comments" and poof! All gone!
hlS5p5x.png
Sorry for the Swedish. UI is the same wherever you are so you can figure out what is what.

I would love to hear another rant against this, but objectively speaking, if it were my podcast I would probably not approach the topic again until there's a more concrete announcement. All that happened today was that Mike didn't launch a Kickstarter... I see no real news beyond that.

I was mostly kidding, I'm sure we'll give this a little time to breathe =]

• Like 1

as much as I think this thing Mike K has presented is a scam, I hope his mental health is ok right now. I'd imagine that the pressure of this situation and all the criticisms made would be hard to deal with. I don't think that he has a prototype product, but I don't wish any harm on the guy

oh yeah man definitely, dont wish Mike any harm (maybe a night with diarrea but nothing beyond that) But all the stress he gets out of this, it's all on him.

You know, I'm actually really disappointed by this. Ever since Toy Fair, they've been hyping this very day as the day when all would be revealed. The day when all our questions would be answered. The day when all our doubts would disappear. The day when everything would become so crystal clear that there would be "nothing left to speculate about." The day when we would see with our own eyes that their plans for the Coleco Chameleon were sooo spectacular, were sooooo wonderful, that we'd totally do a 180 and go from doubting haters to true believers in an instant.

Now, with a buildup like that, surely they must have had a clear idea at the time of what they were going to reveal to us, right? So why have they decided after days of silence that it wasn't good enough and that they needed to halt the Kickstarter campaign to "make it even better"? Better than what??? What could possibly be better than the total enlightenment they were promising us?

(I know, I know, they were just blowing smoke and saying anything they needed to say to buy time, as usual. It's just beyond ludicrous at this point how consistently they over-promise and then fail to deliver.)

• Like 8

oh yeah man definitely, dont wish Mike any harm (maybe a night with diarrea but nothing beyond that) But all the stress he gets out of this, it's all on him.

He probably desperately needs a vacation at this point, but it is unlikely he'll take a break anytime soon. If this "prototype" device is real, then kudos. If not, bring the pitchforks! :D :evil:

I cannot make that judgement from one photo. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth a thousand pictures... |:)