IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

He probably desperately needs a vacation at this point, but it is unlikely he'll take a break anytime soon. If this "prototype" device is real, then kudos. If not, bring the pitchforks! :D :evil:

I cannot make that judgement from one photo. | :)

I would say there is zero chance its real. Maybe they will actually focus on getting one made though. If they come back in a couple months and still have no prototype it will be ridiculous.

Edited by mickcris

Looks like the same cartridge to me! I don't know what you haters are talking about! Drinkin' too much of that Haterade.

rvgs_022616_pic3.jpg

3ornjYmk1MLKpggcyQ.gif

You know what's great about that gif, and I didn't see anyone really mention? That SNES connector was slammed so far back into the Jag opening, there's no way the plastic from a cart back would fit between the connector and the back of the console. No clearance. Genius level really.

• Like 2

Ugh. What's up with the "Coleco Chameleon" watermark plastered across those images? Is it even necessary? It's just distracting.

oh wait that was intention all along wasn't it

You know, I'm actually really disappointed by this. Ever since Toy Fair, they've been hyping this very day as the day when all would be revealed. The day when all our questions would be answered. The day when all our doubts would disappear. The day when everything would become so crystal clear that there would be "nothing left to speculate about." The day when we would see that their plans for the Coleco Chameleon were sooo spectacular, were sooooo wonderful, that we'd totally do a 180 and go from doubting haters to true believers in an instant.

Now, with a buildup like that, surely they must have had a clear idea at the time of what they were going to reveal to us, right? So why have they decided that it wasn't good enough and that they needed to halt the Kickstarter campaign to "make it even better"? What could possibly be better than the total enlightenment they were promising us?

(I know, I know, they were just blowing smoke and saying anything they needed to say to buy time, as usual. It's just beyond ludicrous at this point how consistently they over-promise and then fail to deliver.)

What I don't get is how they also said that this delay "won't affect the release date", which hasn't even been revealed aside from "2016". Why would you delay the Kickstarter to "improve" the prototype, when you should already have one by now, after all those promises... and yet, say that it'll still be out on schedule regardless? Isn't that... kind of what a delay is supposed to result in? A pushed-back release date? I don't know. Maybe I'm just badly misinterpreting the situation. But none of it makes any sense to me.

Looks like the same cartridge to me! I don't know what you haters are talking about! Drinkin' too much of that Haterade.

rvgs_022616_pic3.jpg

3ornjYmk1MLKpggcyQ.gif

LOL, Only the front is the same. He even bothered to put electrical tape in the exact same spot. But that bsck piece....

(yes, I realise your post was sarcastic)

Okay you guys, that joke flew so far over your heads the State Department though North Korea sent two satellites up.

What I meant to say is that the cart definitely doesn't match what we saw at the toy fair. With that proto the cart didn't even sit in the console shell, it just sat there on top of the connector. With what Mike posted today, the cart is deep in the console shell so Mckris is right, it's not anything like what we saw at the toy fair.

• Like 4

Ugh. What's up with the "Coleco Chameleon" watermark plastered across those images? Is it even necessary? It's just distracting.

oh wait that was intention all along wasn't it

What I don't get is how they also said that this delay "won't affect the release date", which hasn't even been revealed aside from "2016". Why would you delay the Kickstarter to "improve" the prototype, when you should already have one by now, after all those promises... and yet, say that it'll still be out on schedule regardless? Isn't that... kind of what a delay is supposed to result in? A pushed-back release date? I don't know. Maybe I'm just badly misinterpreting the situation. But none of it makes any sense to me.

It won't affect the release date. It's still slated for "never".

• Like 2

Okay you guys, that joke flew so far over your heads the State Department though North Korea sent two satellites up.

What I meant to say is that the cart definitely doesn't match what we saw at the toy fair. With that proto the cart didn't even sit in the console shell, it just sat there on top of the connector. With what Mike posted today, the cart is deep in the console shell so Mckris is right, it's not anything like what we saw at the toy fair.

I knew you weren't being serious. :) Im still trying to figure out what board is in there. seems like some PCI card from a computer maybe. There are thousands of those though so probably will never be able to figure out what it actually is.

• Like 1

I don't see how this 'reveal' explains how it was not 'just a SNES,' did I miss something here??

They asked us to 'wait and see' fine. Now they ask us to Wait and see ' some more. I don't get it.

It's ALWAYS "wait and see". Earlier today, I was trying to imagine how they would drag this out. Well, here you go.

• Like 2

looks like we completely missed this part.

We’ll keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support.

just when you thought this couldnt get any greasier...

• Like 2

New photos from the Facebook announcement. It has a power LED! The second one gives a bit of a look behind the curtain.

attachicon.gif12768300_954528481283089_1242178474011934437_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12748028_954528487949755_4729859836810939480_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12711304_954528484616422_5941019061207211848_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12747512_954528804616390_4229174371091139321_o1.jpgattachicon.gif12747414_954528807949723_1419216210857105822_o1.jpg

Many of the Kickstarter posts have just been removed, deleting all the comments on them. Could be censorship or just rewriting history.

the funny thing though is that the power led is still not wired up to the LED light section of the jaguar shell

• Like 1

A couple observations:

1. That looks like a very complicated and expensive board for what they're trying to achieve. A cost-effective board would have a CPU and a FPGA and little else. Think of things like Raspberry-Pi and OUYA. The Chinese clone consoles have little more than an epoxy blob. That looks more like something out of a high-end console or some other equipment.

2. I'm pretty sure that's a 5mm through-hole LED with a wire and electrical tape in the attached photo (I've highlighted it). It's not part of the board. It may be the only powered thing in the pictures.

3. It should be possible to do a Google Images match on the board with some clever editing.

post-3606-0-13646700-1456534277_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

looks like we completely missed this part.

just when you thought this couldnt get any greasier...

No! I love that part!!

I would much rather they "pre-sell" than go through Kickstarter. If they sell on Kickstarter, they're selling you hope and if they spend all your money and fail then there's no recourse because that was part of the risk you bought into.

If they "pre-sell" they have to deliver because they're taking orders. If they don't people can go after them because they don't have that explicit Kickstarter risk that this might not go anywhere and you might not get anything.

• Like 1

Wow it's so 'convenient' that these new pics don't show definitive proto hardware. You can't see the way it's hooked to the T.V., the 'board' is hard to see through the shell, watermarks in strategic places. As much as this project is under fire, a clear cut post of pictures could have been used instead of this vague B.S.

• Like 1

or the circuit board out an old fax machine. just needs to have a shiny LED right?

It could be anything from the 1990's to the present.

It could not be anything from before the 90's because quad flat pack ICs were not available before then.

Edited by Hannacek