IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

2. I'm pretty sure that's a 5mm through-hole LED with a wire and electrical tape in the attached photo (I've highlighted it). It's not part of the board. It may be the only powered thing in the pictures.

Looking closer at the picture the LED does appear to be pointing the wrong way to be mounted to the board, but pointed the right way to be stuck in there with rather over guage wire and electrical tape.

blinkenlighten. ossom. an update totally worth waiting for.

A couple observations:

1. That looks like a very complicated and expensive board for what they're trying to achieve. A cost-effective board would have a CPU and a FPGA and little else. Think of things like Raspberry-Pi and OUYA. The Chinese clone consoles have little more than an epoxy blob. That looks more like something out of a high-end console or some other equipment.

2. I'm pretty sure that's a 5mm through-hole LED with a wire and electrical tape in the attached photo (I've highlighted it). It's not part of the board. It may be the only powered thing in the pictures.

3. It should be possible to do a Google Images match on the board with some clever editing.

No dice. The image is too obscured. Only someone familiar with the exact PCB layout pictured will be able to identify it. It did not take long for sleuths to identify the PCB the last time we had Mike hide something underneath the Jaguar shell. If this turns out to be a real FPGA prototyping dev kit, that would be a good sign. If this is a custom fab, we may never be able to identify what's on it without part numbers.

No dice. The image is too obscured. Only someone familiar with the exact PCB layout pictured will be able to identify it. It did not take long for sleuths to identify the PCB the last time we had Mike hide something underneath the Jaguar shell. If this turns out to be a real FPGA prototyping dev kit, that would be a good sign. If this is a custom fab, we may never be able to identify what's on it without part numbers.

Hard to tell if that PCB has anything to do with a FPGA, to me if kinda look like a mobile device GPU with no cart slot and the only hook up is a led light not connected to the board

• Like 1

Wondering what those giant electro caps are for. Go look up Cyclone evaluation boards and those types are nowhere to be found.

Why put big tall through hole caps on a mostly surface mount board?

At this point we know its a scam, but for a real prototype one would use whatever parts that had lying around, or parts one has used before and knows how to use, or one would use an existing board with those caps just to get the thing working.

Then when they move to mass produce it, they would redesign as many parts as they could to reduce costs, reduce heat, and increase efficiency and reliability.

Edited by Hannacek

Paging Kevtris, to assist with board identity......

If it's any type of FPGA or ARM dev board, Kevtris would likely know about it. If it's a random piece of junk PCB pulled from random scrap electronics because it had the right shape, we may never be able to identify it. While I would like to believe it is a custom fab designed to fit the Jag shell, my confidence in Mike and his posse is not high right now. It is also highly likely that a development FPGA or ARM board might not fit properly inside the Jag case.

Hell, if you really want to convince us, show a PCB lying on a table with a rats nest of wires coming out, wired into a breadboard with a cartridge port. Show us the cartrige being inserted into the wired cart slot, power being applied, and that the video cable leading out of the back of the PCB actually feeds to the TV in question. One uncut video, no edits allowed.

• Like 2

Yes. There are a hundred different parts shaped and sized like so. So that avenue of Identification is out. There is what looks like half of a 40-pin IDE connector near the bottom/front.

Well, good for them, they got consultation on how to hide the full identity of the board. I'm hoping it's a custom designed board myself, or a dev kit.

If it's any type of FPGA or ARM dev board, Kevtris would likely know about it. If it's a random piece of junk PCB pulled from random scrap electronics because it had the right shape, we may never be able to identify it. While I would like to believe it is a custom fab designed to fit the Jag shell, my confidence in Mike and his posse is not high right now. It is also highly likely that a development FPGA or ARM board might not fit properly inside the Jag case.

Hell, if you really want to convince us, show a PCB lying on a table with a rats nest of wires coming out, wired into a breadboard with a cartridge port. Show us the cartrige being inserted into the wired cart slot, power being applied, and that the video cable leading out of the back of the PCB actually feeds to the TV in question. One uncut video, no edits allowed.

That's the old-school way!!!!

I'm leaning towards custom pcb. It has two usb ports up front where they should be for the controllers, and everything else seems approximately in place. But there's not enough in those pics to be certain.

It also does look like that LED is fudged in there with the wires running off somewhere else.

At this point we know its a scam, but for a real prototype one would use whatever parts that had lying around, or parts one has used before and knows how to use, or one would use an existing board with those caps just to get the thing working.

Then when they get ready to mass produce it, they would redesign as many parts as they could to reduce costs, reduce heat, and increase efficiency and reliability.

Well, if it's a custom PCB as they say, then that doesn't hold water. They would pick reasonable parts and it's my opinion that those caps don't fit the design of a complicated, packed board like we can see. In my opinion someone who can arrange a board with 200+ pin ICs wouldn't pick those caps.

There's no way to make a one off with 'parts lying around' at this level of complexity.

It does look like an FPGA dev board, maybe more than one to make it look longer. At the bottom there's either two short JTAG connectors or one long one. The chips looks hard to identify but there's something of a logo in one.

I'm sure it's a dev board of some kind, not an actual prototype. They've proven they have a PCB with hopefully an FPGA. Guess what, I also have one and you can get your own for a few hundred $ from a few places. So right now, there is nothing really amazing on display.

I'm leaning towards custom pcb. It has two usb ports up front where they should be for the controllers, and everything else seems approximately in place. But there's not enough in those pics to be certain.

It also does look like that LED is fudged in there with the wires running off somewhere else.

I'm not convinced. I can't really see that there are USB ports on the board. Only that there's something under the plastic up there. It could all be stuff taped or glued in the front.

I just feel like if this were the real deal, the level of showman ship would be through the roof. There would be so much video showing everything about this. Showing it hooked up to the tv, the cart being inserted, the menu and startup screens coming up and all in such a way that one couldn't easily fake. Rather we got pictures that are questionable at best.

The chance to prove everyone wrong and that Chameleon is the real deal is sitting right there.. that is if it were real. It's not.

I don't think there needs to be any more evidence or proof of the fact that is fake other than if it were real it would be shoved in our collective faces in such a way we couldn't even begin to contest it.

• Like 8

Also note that the controller on the table below the TV is the unmodified Wii-U one with the home button and the + and - buttons at the top, lacking their logo and everything... For all we know that could even be a fake cable at this stage.

Well, if it's a custom PCB as they say, then that doesn't hold water. They would pick reasonable parts and it's my opinion that those caps don't fit the design of a complicated, packed board like we can see. In my opinion someone who can arrange a board with 200+ pin ICs wouldn't pick those caps.

There's no way to make a one off with 'parts lying around' at this level of complexity.

They can use whatever parts they want, because it doesn't work.

Edited by Hannacek