IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It is an amazing coincidence that Eli happened to be at the show with one of his SNES carts (for other reasons) and Mike just happened to be there with the Chameleon prototype whose mysterious black box FPGA was not only configured to play SNES carts, it also sported a SNES cart connector.

Eli recounts it like it was a surprise -- and it may very well have been -- but given the fart cloud that had been wafting around since the RVGS IGG failure I don't blame him one bit for keeping a cautious arms length distance from Mike and stating Piko has little to no involvement with that crew.

Of course it's entirely possible that Mike tipped Eli off beforehand that he was going to be there with something that was configured to be SNES compatible, so on a whim maybe he brought along a SNES cart to call Mike's bluff. So there's another way it could have been a genuine surprise that it took a SNES cart and played it without glitches.

Yeh.. I don't like these sorts of arranged-for-the-camera coincidental meetings. It's like fake reality tv.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet, but can we figure out what's happening in the hermit kingdom??

I'm not banned from their facebook, but Mike knows who I am so he's not going to let me through but if someone else who isn't banned can astroturf for a little while, get their comments approved and feed us screenshots of what he's posting from now on that person would be my hero.

Retro Gamer is a fantastic magazine; RETRO has poor layouts, rarely talks about actual retro games and has very little content that you would want to revisit. Also, it comes out on no schedule at all where as Retro Gamer is a professionally produced mag that comes out monthly.

Thanks @dj_convoy, @flojomojo & @great hierophant

I'll stay clear. Subscriber to RG. Was when Live went tits up and Imagine took over (old LOL).

Edited by HOW
  • Like 1

Life is easier when you read.

I have been waiting to read your blog 2.0 that would elaborate, but you said it's not coming. I read your blog, I even just re-read it, as well as every post in this thread ... I'm not trying to accuse you of the silly shenanigans that Mike pulled, I'm just curious why it never came up that Mike's "fauxtotype" at the Toy Fair had a SNES cart slot. What was his explanation, if any?

In any case, it's all history now. Carry on

• Like 3

I'm surprised no one has asked yet, but can we figure out what's happening in the hermit kingdom??

I'm not banned from their facebook, but Mike knows who I am so he's not going to let me through but if someone else who isn't banned can astroturf for a little while, get their comments approved and feed us screenshots of what he's posting from now on that person would be my hero.

i doubt Mike will be replying to anything for months, 193 comments we cant see cant be all haters or nay sayers, seems he decided to simply not approve anything

• Like 3

True. I didn't think about that. Maybe public comments need approval and he just hasn't approved anything. I don't know how FB works. Or maybe he's gone AWOL?

Until we get answers, I'll continue keeping an eye on security footage from the Golden Gate Bridge just in case I see a guy carrying a piece of Jaguar tooling tied to his ankle.

• Like 1

They should totally just sell sheets of those stickers.

The latest one's not bad--I'd buy a hundred.

They could fund their console, I could make better pics making fun of it--it's win-win.

aD2WEVom.jpg

Seriously, what left is there to talk about at this point? You'd be better off playing an actual Jaguar at this point.

Funny you should mention that. Once my scart cable arrives, I actually plan on turning the black turd on again. 'Play me some baldies.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

I have been waiting to read your blog 2.0 that would elaborate, but you said it's not coming. I read your blog, I even just re-read it, as well as every post in this thread ... I'm not trying to accuse you of the silly shenanigans that Mike pulled, I'm just curious why it never came up that Mike's "fauxtotype" at the Toy Fair had a SNES cart slot. What was his explanation, if any?

In any case, it's all history now. Carry on

Well is not worth a blog podt honestly; I'll type something here later on today.

• Like 2

True. I didn't think about that. Maybe public comments need approval and he just hasn't approved anything. I don't know how FB works. Or maybe he's gone AWOL?

Until we get answers, I'll continue keeping an eye on security footage from the Golden Gate Bridge just in case I see a guy carrying a piece of Jaguar tooling tied to his ankle.

looking at the settings on my own FB page and these are all the settings related to user posts, so yes, fairly sure they are under moderation.

post-34727-0-95286100-1456690259_thumb.jpg

The thing about that is at one time Mike used to be less hostile to modern games and the state of the industry. All three hosts of the RGR are on record as not liking major parts of modern games and what has happened to the industry, and while I agree they have valid points, I also think they haven't played or been exposed to enough of the right games. I recall Scott saying in a recent episode he's spent time in game stores wanting to buy something that appeals to him and came away empty. And that may be the case. But you need to look at the indie game market then. Tons of retro styled games out there, and a lot of good ones also. But then in another episode he shocked me by saying he had played (and enjoyed) Mass Effect 3, which is the last thing I expected him to say. :lol:

Among other things that has happened to Mike in recent years is that he's gotten even more cynical and disgruntled, it seems.

I know I've waltzed into (and then out of) gaming stores looking for something cool to get. Never had much luck. Never used to be that way till all this online shit came to be.

I can also understand mikes frustration, You and I would be upset if a pet project kept getting beaten down. Best thing to do is just wait till whatever comes out comes out. Then evaluate and then buy it if its available. If not, go with something else. We used to do that in the 1960's and 1970's!

I'm personally not a big fan of retro-styled games. I want the original retro games! It's not that I totally dislike modern games, I just don't like and purchase them at the "rate" the industry wants me to.

I just find it interesting. I Kind of expected her to be more impressed with the flashier WiiU stuff, but somehow she just keeps going back to that small pixelated Screen. She LOVES yoshi's Island.It's so simple, yet every single small Detail seems to fascinate her.

Nothing interesting about it. It simply doesn't overwhelm a young mind like a "too-realistic" game would.

Now that social media and message boards effectively shuttered CC, things will die down. Expect 1 or 2 pages at per day at best. Then nothing.

Seems the closer Kennedy gets to an announcement the more active these threads get. You'd almost think it's a witch hunt or something!

If you think there was no malice, then give him your money and see what happens.

On his big day, the morning launch of his Kickstarter, he disappeared without leaving anyone a word. Then reappeared only to pull some ham-fisted story out of his ass about delaying it "to make it even better!"

Now ask yourself- what do you think he's going to do when the expected delivery date comes up? If he can't even face the music and be honest on the day he's been hyping for two weeks when "all will be revealed." The same day he kept repeating while he was at a professional expo. Then how the hell do you expect him to be open and honest to his lowly backers when things really turn south??

• Like 7