IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

This could potentially be fairly serious for Mike. If River West Brands (or anyone else) has invested any money in Mike's business, he's at serious risk for having legal action taken against him for fraud.

Nononononononono, he was going to use Kickstarter so he'd be immune to that legal action.

• Like 3

Mike, if you're reading this (and I bet you are) please STAY THE F**K AWAY from the videogame community. Crawl back to your day job as a Sandwich Artist ™ and never bother us with your bullshit again.

To Steve Woita, Steve Rosenbaum, Ben Herman, Phil Adam and Paul Wylie:

Time for one or all of you to step forward and come clean. Either take responsibility for this shitpile or throw Mike under the bus (it's getting really crowded under there with all those hardware guys).

I'm very eager to hear their thoughts on this whole thing, too. So far, Mike Kennedy has been THE face and voice of that entire project. In every interview and media appearance I've seen, it's been nothing but Mike, Mike, Mike. I have no idea what role (if any) the rest of them have been playing in "Retro Video Game Systems, Inc.", but they're all accomplished individuals within their respective fields, and as far as I've heard, they all have good reputations. After everything that has happened, how many of them still want to have their good names associated with Mike Kennedy?

While we're calling people out ... how about you, River West Brands? If you want the "Coleco" name to be good for anything more than branded toilet paper from now on, you'd better take that license away from Mike Kennedy and make it clear to the whole world that you've parted ways.

• Like 4

he needs to do it and he needs to end his plans to make this thing. it doesnt look like he's done all that much, and i doubt he's invested any money beyond the shells. also, what he has done with the snes jr, as well as this video capture card may not entirely be legal to begin with, given that we found out what they were. that would be a matter of the company making the vidcap card and the snes jr to handle. i feel like he's going to have to come completely clean about all of it and say sorry, the chameleon isnt happening at this point and why. maybe try and make good on his magazine subscriptions and try again years and years down the line if he wants to make a system...and have someone else be in charge of calling the shots.

• Like 3

Already exists ;) Not an EverDrive... but still an SD-Card to Jag cart... thing...

I can't stop refreshing this page! This is just too amazing! LOL

The Jag doesn't have an SD card cart, the nearest thing is the SkunkBoard which was built to hold two homebrew ROMs at a time, loading them from a PC over USB.
  • Like 1

Awe,,, my names not in there :(

Anyways, I honestly hope that Mike Kennedy tries to weasel his way out of this one. By this point, seeing the stupid shit that he keeps coming up with is beyond entertaining :lolblue: The entire internet is trolling him and he doesn't even have the self-respect to just bow out and leave. What a fascinating guy Mike Kennedy is... an unintentional troll that keeps getting burned by his own trolling. :-D

Don't worry; I've been trolling this thread hard and my username wasn't listed either. And I posted just two minutes before the screenshot was uploaded. I must have taken a bathroom break or something. :P

And if I know Mike Kennedy, we have not heard the last of him. :roll:

• Like 2

Jaybird3rd.... could not agree more about the whole Coleco affiliation and hated when the relationship was created. Brands now are just toilet paper.

Brands are now just held by folks who try to milk them to death. I also hope that River West Brands is smarter than that.

The Jag doesn't have an SD card cart, the nearest thing is the SkunkBoard which was built to hold two homebrew ROMs at a time, loading them from a PC over USB.

Send this guy a message on eBay. He's usually kind of... I wouldn't say secretive, but likes to keep things a little more private. He can hook you up with a Jag multicart/rom adapter.

I'm buying popcorn this week, in anticipation of Mikes response....

To elaborate upon my earlier guess of what Mike's response might be: he'll probably try to claim that the capture card was plugged into a ribbon cable connected to the FPGA board, which was mounted underneath the capture card, for the purpose of encoding and outputting video until they get the HDMI output working in their FPGA core. He'll probably also claim that this is what people in the industry do all the time, that it's a totally routine thing, and that he meant to tell us all along and that it all would have turned out fine if the haters hadn't blown it up first into this big huge coverup, and that it's all the Hardware Guy's fault anyway.

(Of course, it's ridiculous on its face, but I can't see what else he could say. He can't possibly deny what was underneath that shell.)

I used to pull crap like this in school. I did a homemade solar cell science project. I used blue paper and stripped wire. It looked like a real silicon solar cell and was very convincing. And it was to spin a motor.

I asked the teacher to schedule it on like Thursday when I knew damned well it was gonna be cloudy and raining. Then she said we'd do it the following week when it'd be sunny out and why don't I leave my project in school instead of lugging it back and forth home and school.

Instantly I told her naw, "I'm taking it home to improve it! And make it even better." This gave me time to further the hoax and wiggle out of it. I took it home and rigged a battery and capacitor. I even put some other parts in there to make a fake control circuit. It was hooked alright, but isolated by diodes and 10M Ohm resistors. So it did nothing, but looked impressive. I was exuding confidence! I had it in the bag.

So comes the big day and I power it up and it works, both indoors and outdoors. In light and dark. And I fed them more bullshit about how the battery and capacitor stored energy from the sun and was available 24/7. I got an A.

Some number of days later my parents got a call from a professor that works with gifted kids and all and wanted to interview me.

• Like 6

Don't worry; I've been trolling this thread hard and my username wasn't listed either. And I posted just two minutes before the screenshot was uploaded. I must have taken a bathroom break or something. :P

And if I know Mike Kennedy, we have not heard the last of him. :roll:

I can't wait for his explanation... and I really hope he doesn't ruin it by admitting he lied. I'm loving the hypocrisy! :rolling: It's like catching an evangelist in a whore house! That was the best Christmas ever... At least Reverend Pickins had the dignity to jump off the roof with his pants around his ankles. But Mike Kennedy just won't stop! :lol:

Edited by SwampFox56

I have an interesting conspiracy theory. Please forgive me if it sounds a bit crazy. This might just be the Mountain Dew and popcorn talking.

What if we're all being deliberately trolled? I know the obvious replies to this question would include things like brand damage, trashing their reputation, alienating potential consumers, fraud, etc. Even as I type this post the idea that we're being deliberately trolled doesn't seem likely.

But what if we are being trolled? I just checked in with my Facebook account and this story is all over the place. It's blowing up like crazy. What if they show up in a week with a totally working prototype and are like "ha, ha, fooled you!" This whole story does seem like obvious bait.

Again, seems very unlikely but I just had to mention the idea.

• Like 1