IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I think calling it the RetroVGS is also insulting. It is an insult to every retro video game system including ones made by Coleco. The name doesn't make much sense either and could cause confusion. For an example:

What is an Atari 2600? A retro video game system.

What is a Retro Video Game System? A modern video game system.

Its to get the money from all those current fake retro gamers

Im gonna quote my self off another forum

Its an idea targeted at that exact audience, those idiots that buy anything with the word "Retro" on it because its the in thing, those that a few years back wore Iorn Maiden t-shirts and have never even heard The number of the beast album or Powerslave, they now own a Zelda T-shirt, have never gotten beyond the first dungeon as "Its to hard" those idiots that Skyward sword was aimed at and think that all these pixelly games are "WOW SO 8BIT:3 #SWAG", the type of person that buys games to take a "Selfy" with them and owns a f**king selfy stick and fake thick rimmed glasses despite having 20/20 vision, those that wont watch the new series of Dr Who as the new dr is old, those that buy what ever game some Youtuber as hyped up, THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT HAS NEVER LOADED A GAME OFF TAPE OR INSTALLED A GAME VIA DOS OR HAS POINTED AND LAUGHED AT A DRAGON 32!!

I blame shite TV program "Big bang theory" the IT crowd did the nerd thingy a lot better

There would be more words of loveable hate but I gotta go get ready for work"

The only way they could get more interest from them is if they put the phrase "8Bit" on it

So, what does Mike think removing the pictures at this point in time accomplishes? Meme-worthy stuff like this tends to live forever on the internet because someone, somewhere will always be bringing it up. Zeitgeist, and all that stuff. Some of it may even leak out of the basement on a slow news day and <gasp> the non-gaming press takes notice.

Someone posted a link to a gamester81 podcast where Mike says he has hardware manufacturers ready to go producing boards (GAF), short while later:

This video has been removed by the user.

Sorry about that.

Getting the idea that MK might be finding himself increasingly isolated going forward.

Rats-Ship-a.jpg

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 7

Mike could of saved himself a lot of time and hassle and just had a word with the BBC Props department....

They were making fake hardware in translucent casing years ago...
Any Blake's 7 fans here?
ORAC anyone?

Affirmative.

• Like 1

WOW. So now we have THREE indisputably fake "prototypes"! I wouldn't be surprised if the gold PCI card edge is covered over with electrical tape, as Kevtris says; we all know how much Mike loves his electrical tape!

I wonder how he's going to blame "Li the Hardware Guy" for this one ...

Don't forget the ink-jet proto...

I am looking for a Jaguar shell to make my own Celco chamelon (I have a SNES clone)

(And a Jag but I dont want to use that)

Mike could of saved himself a lot of time and hassle and just had a word with the BBC Props department....

They were making fake hardware in translucent casing years ago...
Any Blake's 7 fans here?
ORAC anyone?

Just change one letter an we get the Oric

IT HAS MORE GAMES THAN THIS MACHINE WILL EVER GET!!

Edited by DBloke
  • Like 1

I dont know if i should weep or laugh at this whole affair. All you who identified that CCTV card are awesome people and this is now the best thread i have ever seen on the internet.

I am with others here on River West Brands. If they dont pull out of this scandal ASAP i will never buy anything new Coleco-related stuff. If they stick with ridiculous con-men and scammers like Mike, who knows what kind of people they will hang around with in the future?

I think Piko has been very honest and upfront here. He should not be blamed for what the scumbags behing the RVGS does as he is just a developer prepared to sell them carts if it were a thing. Now it wont be anything so that matter is mott anyway.

Anyone still believing that Mike is an innocent puppet in all this is delusional. Even the most basic, casual console user will see that a Video capture card doesnt have a cart slot to begin with let alone any other input/output a console has. Mike is a reasonably seasoned console-enthusiast and he of course knows this.

This is now way beyond silly.

• Like 11

We are really trying to be transparent about this entire process

CcbqbTMVAAAWGGC.jpg

Poor Mike, maybe tweak that opacity a little, CC apparently just too fucking transparent...

giphy.gif

Crowdsourced investigative journalism defeats attempted fraud of crowdsourcing.

Love it.

aa-lifetime-votesmjsij.png

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 17

I was a listener of RGR from the beginning and always liked Mike's contribution to the show, so I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's finally time for me to throw in the towel and admit this thing is dead.

• Like 2

So I guess my video was a little more on the nose than even I knew with this capture card. If you missed it (Watara Ultravision):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXxdPQo8-Gk

This is bonkers. BONKERS. I get PCBs made a few times a year, it takes no freaking effort or money to put footprints on a board to show a "concept". Just re-implement the FPGA dev board schematic in your own arrangement or something. Are we still thinking MK physically put this together? Or are we thinking it's another "hardware guy" gone rogue? What if MK really thought progress was being made and was honestly misled by both the SNESJag and the Coleco Hicap? I'm certainly not defending the guy, but it's SO FREAKING BONKERS IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Edited by webmiester
  • Like 8

I was a listener of RGR from the beginning and always liked Mike's contribution to the show, so I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's finally time for me to throw in the towel and admit this thing is dead.

..but MAYBE the real prototype is *right* on the steps!!?

I'm now more curious as to why you guys are even still a part of this debacle? How can this end anyway but badly for Piko

Why do these posts against Piko keep cropping up? He's a vendor selling carts, who has been scammed by Mike Kennedy more than anybody else here- wasting his time and risking his reputation. He has had the most recent interaction with Mike of anyone here, and has posted his observations and details of what Mike claims to be doing- an invaluable source of information. Piko has never been caught in a lie, not once- in fact the accusations against him have had no basis, which anyone who has kept up with this thread will confirm. I'd never heard of Piko Interactive before this whole scandal, but they sell some interesting and unique stuff and if not for the postage to Canada and low CAD$ I'd have become a customer already.

• Like 12

Are we still thinking MK physically put this together? Or are we thinking it's another "hardware guy" gone rogue?

A couple of people put forward that "innocent victim Mike" idea last night but the discovery of the DVR PCI card has completely destroyed it. Mike has created the last two fake prototypes- SNES mini with SD2SNES taped to a cart (complete with fake surprise when Piko identified it), and DVR PCI card, and he was probably in John Carlsen's kitchen too (someone was- watch how he looks off camera for prompting).

Mike has claimed to Piko to have some people working on real hardware. If this is true then he is very stupid to keep faking prototypes, when he is so close to having something real to show. If it is false, then he has elaborately tried to scam Piko as well, with fake hardware people on the phone.

• Like 2

Mike has claimed to Piko to have some people working on real hardware. If this is true then he is very stupid to keep faking prototypes, when he is so close to having something real to show. If it is false, then he has elaborately tried to scam Piko as well, with fake hardware people on the phone.

So that means that Piko is still on board, and he thinks that there may be a real prototype coming?

Edited by AE35

It doesnt matter whatever "real" hardware these guys claim to work on. They cannot be trusted in anything anymore.

The only thing i can think of besides this being the worst hardware scam in the known world is that it is an elaborate performance art project aiming to see how far you can push it before the retro gaming community implodes into a black hole.

• Like 8

Why do these posts against Piko keep cropping up? He's a vendor selling carts, who has been scammed by Mike Kennedy more than anybody else here- wasting his time and risking his reputation. He has had the most recent interaction with Mike of anyone here, and has posted his observations and details of what Mike claims to be doing- an invaluable source of information. Piko has never been caught in a lie, not once- in fact the accusations against him have had no basis, which anyone who has kept up with this thread will confirm. I'd never heard of Piko Interactive before this whole scandal, but they sell some interesting and unique stuff and if not for the postage to Canada and low CAD$ I'd have become a customer already.

I guess people just feel its guilt by association. It does seem like Mike is/was still trying to dupe Piko into believing the system actually exists. I can think of 2 reasons for this. Without Piko, the chameleon would have just about no games. Also, he knows Piko has been posting here so Mike was maybe hoping Piko would post positive things here to make us doubt his system was fake.

Like this:

"I haven't seen the insides yet =@; But I have heard the proto they showed on pics running software over a call. I cannot think a way they could have fake that."

Which obviously they did have a way to fake it. Probably just running on an emulator on a pc or their SD2SNES cart and SNES mini proto.

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 3

Wow. I thought that after the snes-mini wrapped with tape was identified in a few minutes, they would have used some pcb from a dvd player, or a microwave oven... something hard to identify (because usually you don't find pictures of the boards, but only of the assembled product).
Nope, they used a PC card! Something for which pictures of the pcb are available everywhere because the finished product IS the pcb itself! How stupid could they be to even think of doing that?

It occurs to me that Mike could very well possibly maybe perhaps have a working prototype. The problem is that if he ever brings it out, who will believe him? Boy who cried wolf and all that.

When I saw the pics of the latest "prototype" I immediately thought that it looked like a PC card thrown under the Jag shell. I wouldn't've been able to determine what board it really was like the detectives here at AA.

This whole Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon debacle has been a tragedy. I don't know that there is anything Mike can say or do to redeem himself at this point. I suppose the only thing he can do is cut the bullshit, roll up the sleeves and release a real console that becomes a success.

One of the few reasons I stopped listening to the ColecoVisions podcast was that it became a platform for Mike to promote all his business dealings - y'know this classic gaming empire he was trying to build.

I said it before, he only posts on AA when he wants to sell you something. And I'm sure he'll be back to sell us something else. After this debacle, I don't know who his buyers are.

If you're interested, I did an interview with Mike for Classic Video Gamer circa 2009 which you can read here.

• Like 10