IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Yea, I don't agree with all this "guilty by association" chatter. I think its pretty easy to see the associated software developers could be led to believe that this was a legitimate enterprise. Demanding for their apologies is ridiculous.

• Like 6

I think Gamester81 needs to do the same thing. Apologize and pull all "support" (like Sydney Hunter is really gonna appear on a capture card)... this whole debacle makes CollectorVision look bad. I won't even support the SNES/Genesis versions of this game if John Lester continues to promote and defend Mike Kennedy.

I'm hoping he is deceived since Gamester81 is one of my favorite YouTube channels. He seems like the type to do the right thing (although given this thread, who even knows if you can trust anyone anymore).

• Like 1

I think Gamester81 needs to do the same thing. Apologize and pull all "support" (like Sydney Hunter is really gonna appear on a capture card)... this whole debacle makes CollectorVision look bad. I won't even support the SNES/Genesis versions of this game if John Lester continues to promote and defend Mike Kennedy.

Not this particular incarnation of the project, but I seem to recall a podcast (not sure if it's still up) where he (Gamester) and a couple of his pals (Pete Dorr, etc) were going on and on about how Mike was being treated very harshly (especially by the folks on Atari Age) and that to them (Gamester, etc) it seemed that people wanted this project to fail even before it had the chance to really get off the ground. As I recall, they sure seemed intent on belaboring that point.

• Like 4

Yea, I don't agree with all this "guilty by association" chatter. I think its pretty easy to see the associated software developers could be led to believe that this was a legitimate enterprise. Demanding for their apologies is ridiculous.

It will be quite interesting to hear their side of the story. Maybe other people have been put on the phone with Mike's mysterious team of hardware gurus to convince them that there is development going on? If a person who you like and trust gives you his word that he has a real product and is not lying, it puts you in a difficult position- to either side with him and maintain the friendship or call him out and sever all ties.

I especially hated the Jaguar case and the carts, called them a "poisoned chalice" if I recall.

Manufacturing the Jag case is literally the only thing Mike has actually achieved in the last year. Take that away and he's only left with plagiarized electronics, black tape, and a 5mm through-hole power LED.

• Like 4

Regarding the Coleco Chameleon system: We have remained quiet overall regarding this system, and there has been plenty of excitement as well as drama surrounding it. We have been in talks with their team about porting some of our games over to the Chameleon, but we are not a part of the development team behind this project. We anticipate seeing a video of a working prototype of the system running what they advertise soon, but until then, we will continue to focus on creating and porting our games to other platforms. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Coleco Chameleon, and we're not going to release our games for the Chameleon, until we have a working prototype in our hands.

12803125_597517263744797_742401637161985

That came out last night when the entire debacle exploded.

lol.

• Like 10

That came out last night when the entire debacle exploded.

lol.

They've definitely remained quiet:

Jean-François Dupuis: No matter what people says, the Chameleon is REAL!

Once you'll see their Kickstarter, you'll change your mind

The Chameleon is a whole lot different than what the RetroVGS was

Now, need proofs?

Be patient, you'll soon have it

Jean-François Dupuis: Let's just say this.....

I know what tons of people wants to know

Thing is I'm under NDA , so I just can't reveal anything

You'll probably all get your answers this week
  • Like 7

I can understand being honestly fooled; after all, if you're a developer of indie games and someone comes to you expressing interest in licensing your games for a new platform, I think most of us would probably be willing to explore the prospect and to take the person at their word until or unless we were given a good reason not to. I think this is what happened with groups like Piko Interactive and Intellivision Productions, so as far as I can tell, they've done nothing wrong.

What I don't understand is digging in and insisting that the new platform is real and that the critics are wrong to question it, even after being presented with compelling evidence to the contrary, all while hiding behind an NDA.

• Like 6

Aware me on this. I haven't seen where CollectorVision was rushing to the defense of this project. I may have missed something but from what I did see they seemed pretty neutral.

In conversations on FB John Lester defended them, saying that people are speculating, to trust him and that everything will be revealed on KS... blah, blah, blah. I enjoy his channel and sincerely feel that he has been a victim of this con as well. Just the fact that the Coleco Chameleon logo is on ads for his upcoming game could be damaging to his brand.

• Like 2

There's at least one lesson to be learned I guess...don't use transparent shells on "prototypes" that are full of .....

No no, the lesson is "Don't say you have a prototype when you have NONE, especially not THREE FUXXING TIMES IN A ROW"

I really want to hear the "mouthpiece".

BTW I agree that Piko should not be guilty by association but the rest of their team:

Steve Woita,

Paul Wylie,

Phil Adam,

Ben Herman,

Steven J. Rosenbaum

are all guilty until proven innocent.

I don't care if you are friend with one of them and they are "wonderful" people, their not addressing the issue at all is guilty.

I don't even care what stance they would have taken: defend or come-out, either way it would have shown they are at least aware of what is going on and they either drink the kool-aid or they don't. Their silence makes me believe they are useless puppets. As such guilty of being useless.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

After the PC card picture in the translucent Jag case, I will not be supporting anything that has Mikes name attached to it. This is beyond unacceptable. Once my personal subscription to RETRO runs out, I will not be renewing. I have also removed the RETRO magazine subscribe link from the front page of Retromags.com (where it has been for over a year). Mike is also no longer welcome to promote any of his products over at RM. The money earmarked for the Coleco Chameleon, was redistributed to Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus, which is not crammed into an Atari Lynx shell and has over 1,000 licensed games on board.

• Like 19

So both Piko and Collectorvision are prepared to develop/port games for the console if it become a success?

Since these two are the only developers that had had games announced previously besides the CV and Inty compilations what exactly will make this console a success if all devs are waiting for it to become a success before developing for it?

So both Piko and Collectorvision are prepared to develop/port games for the console if it become a success?

Since these two are the only developers that had had games announced previously besides the CV and Inty compilations what exactly will make this console a success if all devs are waiting for it to become a success before developing for it?

Don't worry, there's no console.
  • Like 3

Gamester81 has shilled for RVGS & Chameleon and since deleted the relevant YouTube videos. Collectorvision was hand-in-hand with RVGS, as one of their titles (The Adventures of Tiny Knight) was to be the RVGS bundled game and RVGS-exclusive for something like six months or a year after release.

I wrote a synopsis of some of his RVGS shilling and calling AtariAge members "toxic" in a single podcast alone. If you follow the links, that podcast still can be heard(~1:26:xx). Judge for yourself.

While he was certainly more cautious this time around, I think you guys may be letting him off easy when he doesn't deserve it.

• Like 12

Yep, that's why I finally jumped in and subscribed, as my way of saying thanks to Albert for providing such a great resource: http://atariage.com/forums/page/subscriptions- I can't imagine how much bandwidth I've used in the last few months just hitting reload when this thread catches fire.

Ditto. Immense fun for pennies an hour.

• Like 3