IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I am with others here on River West Brands. If they dont pull out of this scandal ASAP i will never buy anything new Coleco-related stuff. If they stick with ridiculous con-men and scammers like Mike, who knows what kind of people they will hang around with in the future?

This is a near-perfect example as to why I never allow myself to become loyal to any one brand of anything. Coleco and Atari DO NOT mean the same things to me today as they did when I was a kid.

I'm sure that the oldsters and gate keepers here all wanted to work at Atari (and similar co.) when we were kids. Today that isn't so. And Atari is no longer associated with cool games and innovation like it used to be. I'm afraid (actually I don't care) if Coleco doesn't address this cock-up & blunder they will join ranks and sink to the bottom.

Because right now, in my head, for whatever it's worth, Coleco = fakes, scam, lameness, dumbness, fool-those-gamers.. and so on. Not the best of PR.

I'm certainly gonna Remember When I read this thread day and night.

• Like 5

So I just watched that video, if he genuinely claimed buying the jaguar toolings saved them $500,000 then I'm going to go ahead and call complete BS, most modern factories can open tooling on a console sized device all the way from pro-e engineer recreating the clients design to a usable template, right through to T3 plastic with finishes and textures applied, and the whole process would be *way* under $20,000, claiming $500,000 is outright insanity.

• Like 14

Well I started this thread here but hardly any takers...

I contributed to your thread, so I hope that helps.

Hey, btw, what happened to those fanboys employees that were on here saying how much we'd all regret not ordering a Coleco Chameleon because it was going to be the best thing to ever happen to gaming? Ello? Guy with avatar with two hands doing crude gestures? Anyone? No?

[..]

Mike has claimed to Piko to have some people working on real hardware. If this is true then he is very stupid to keep faking prototypes, when he is so close to having something real to show. If it is false, then he has elaborately tried to scam Piko as well, with fake hardware people on the phone.

What real gains has Mike realized from all this scamming? It seems like a lot of effort for near-zero returns..?

• Like 1

What real gains has Mike realized from all this scamming? It seems like a lot of effort for near-zero returns..?

It has realized him much less than nothing- he had a decent reputation before. I think it's cost him a lot of time too and probably quite a bit of money for those videos and renders etc., but the reputation damage is the real cost.

The story where he has a prototype being developed in a cave somewhere and is posting fakes to keep the hype going makes no sense. Surely the only reason to post fakes is because he has nothing and is making a last ditch desperate attempt to get someone (or some crowd) to fund him.

• Like 1

So I just watched that video, if he genuinely claimed buying the jaguar toolings saved them $500,000 then I'm going to go ahead and call complete BS, most modern factories can open tooling on a console sized device all the way from pro-e engineer recreating the clients design to a usable template, right through to T3 plastic with finishes and textures applied, and the whole process would be *way* under $20,000, claiming $500,000 is outright insanity.

Don't tell Mike that. He still he thinks he got a smokin' hot deal. I don't know the exact figure but I know it was in the thousands. I wouldn't be surprised if his source of "$500k" was the guy who sold it to him. That dumbass probably paid market price for that shit.

• Like 1

I genuinely think his goal in all the fakery was to have content to "prove" there's a prototype so he could run the kickstarter and the delay in running it is because people called out the SNES so he had to scramble to put out a counter to that before running the KS.

Unfortunately that counter got uncovered even more bluntly than the SNES Jr.

MST3K fans might appreciate this:

"As if a switch had been turned, as if an eye had been blinked, as if some phantom force in the universe had made a move eons beyond our comprehension ... suddenly, there was no trail! There was no hardware, no prototype, no "thing" called the Coleco Chameleon to be followed. There was no one on the AtariAge Forums but the puzzled men of courage, who suddenly found themselves alone with shadows and darkness!"

(Here is the reference.)

Best. Post. Eva.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

I genuinely think his goal in all the fakery was to have content to "prove" there's a prototype so he could run the kickstarter and the delay in running it is because people called out the SNES so he had to scramble to put out a counter to that before running the KS.

Unfortunately that counter got uncovered even more bluntly than the SNES Jr.

I disagree. Believe it or not, the SNESgate scandal was starting to die down. It feeds off of Mike's denials and new proof. But people had already concluded with 99% certainty it was a SNES Jr., and Mike had gone silent after the KS reward tier updates stopped coming in, so there wasn't much to talk about without repeating the same point.

I still can't figure out why he waited until the afternoon of his Kickstarter reveal date to postpone the project. Maybe just for dramatic effect? To show- we've been working very very hard up to this second, and if you don't believe us, here's proof with pics of the proto. But it still makes no sense, why keep up the suspense of the morning, there had to be something else going on that we're not seeing.

• Like 7

Don't tell Mike that. He still he thinks he got a smokin' hot deal. I don't know the exact figure but I know it was in the thousands. I wouldn't be surprised if his source of "$500k" was the guy who sold it to him. That dumbass probably paid market price for that shit.

The tooling was on eBay for $4,500 back in 2012, I doubt he paid more than that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-JAGUAR-INJECTION-MOLD-TOOLING-/110935487079?

Discussion with photos: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159292-hot-atari-jaguar-injection-mold-tooling-on-ebay-now-call-curt/

• Like 2

Hmm. Almost makes me wonder if this whole debacle was for no other reason than to find a way to finance the high purchase price of the molds that he bought for his personal collection....

• Like 2

I contributed to your thread, so I hope that helps.

Hey, btw, what happened to those fanboys employees that were on here saying how much we'd all regret not ordering a Coleco Chameleon because it was going to be the best thing to ever happen to gaming? Ello? Guy with avatar with two hands doing crude gestures? Anyone? No?

Crude gesture guy I think has just been goofing around. He posted this morning.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3455072

• Like 4

I disagree. Believe it or not, the SNESgate scandal was starting to die down. It feeds off of Mike's denials and new proof. But people had already concluded with 99% certainty it was a SNES Jr., and Mike had gone silent after the KS reward tier updates stopped coming in, so there wasn't much to talk about without repeating the same point.

I still can't figure out why he waited until the afternoon of his Kickstarter reveal date to postpone the project. Maybe just for dramatic effect? To show- we've been working very very hard up to this second, and if you don't believe us, here's proof with pics of the proto. But it still makes no sense, why keep up the suspense of the morning, there had to be something else going on that we're not seeing.

I guess we'll just have to wait for retroillucid to spill the beans.

P.s. pikointeractive is reading the thread.

• Like 1

Pat has released another video....

Excellent! So glad he took the time to make a special video. Pat and Ian have really done amazing work getting the word out about this story at every stage. Pat is even wearing an Atari shirt! I especially like this quote:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, f*** you forever."

EDIT: Three hours after it was posted, Pat's video has close to 10,000 views. The word is spreading.

• Like 3

It's only getting worse for Mike! Expect another video!!

rvgs_rich_tweet.png

And Rich was in touch with Mike personally when Mike threatened to take his video down. So I'm sure he's going to mention that.

If you guys think the CU podcast guys can bring attention to this- Rich has half a million subscribers!!

I'm guessing Mike's

partners refused for this project to go forward

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 1