IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Also, when carts did rule, you were getting an arcade game at home with art or a, say NHL game with teams you know and licensed characters. When you're fans of this stuff, it's fun to buy. I find it fun buying a new Zelda game. On top of everything Keetah said with the drawbacks of carts, there is no prior exposure for these titles. They're totally random.

I'm not cheering on corporate marketing, but there was something special about getting Mortal Kombat II. The feeling wasn't the same when it came to dumb ass random titles we all either inherited or rented for a weekend.

• Like 1

In any case, the two pairs of 2016 AtGames Atari and Sega products should make people happier than usual with their stuff. I can't wait to reveal what they are (although someone usually spots a Toys R Us listing before then), particularly the one thing on the Atari side that fans have been clamoring for for quite some time and I finally got them to see the potential value in.

I'm more excited about this than the RVGS2.

• Like 3

Also, when carts did rule, you were getting an arcade game at home with art or a, say NHL game with teams you know and licensed characters. When you're fans of this stuff, it's fun to buy. I find it fun buying a new Zelda game. On top of everything Keetah said with the drawbacks of carts, there is no prior exposure for these titles. They're totally random.

I'm not cheering on corporate marketing, but there was something special about getting Mortal Kombat II. The feeling wasn't the same when it came to dumb ass random titles we all either inherited or rented for a weekend.

Gadzooks!! It almost sounds like you owned a console that had exciting games that were enjoyable to play! What blasphemy is this??!?!?

Seriously though, it's pretty amusing to see that we've all fallen so far down the rabbit hole with Mike that we're forgetting what makes a game console desirable at its most basic level.

• Like 3

Gadzooks!! It almost sounds like you owned a console that had exciting games that were enjoyable to play! What blasphemy is this??!?!?

Seriously though, it's pretty amusing to see that we've all fallen so far down the rabbit hole with Mike that we're forgetting what makes a game console desirable at its most basic level.

You mean a low serial number and custom custom color shell.

• Like 11

Its funny, when Mike first brought this idea up to us his first question was what would it take to build a new console from a technical point of view, the second question he posed was "Do you think there is a market for it, will people buy it?" I told him I liked the idea and that I would buy one and all the carts, but then again I buy lots of crazy stuff like a life size T800 for my kitchen and we literally have no furniture on the first two levels of our house, it is all arcade games. And did I think there would be a viable market for it? Probably not I said. Certainly such a product would have to see deep support from the community, hard to do when you burn bridges and alienate your customer base. Will the FPGA matter to the general public? The price point is higher than impulse purchase territory, and I can't see retailers going for it for the very same reasons listed here in this thread.

• Like 6

In any case, the two pairs of 2016 AtGames Atari and Sega products should make people happier than usual with their stuff. I can't wait to reveal what they are (although someone usually spots a Toys R Us listing before then), particularly the one thing on the Atari side that fans have been clamoring for for quite some time and I finally got them to see the potential value in.

Two pairs = four items in total, two Atari, two Sega things.

The existing Sega mini console and handheld are pretty neat, albeit with bad sound and without save games.

The existing Atari mini console (now on version 6, four of which are Atgames iterations) is nice but could always use more third party games.

So that's three items....

There's been an Atari Flashback Portable -sized hole in the lineup since the Curt Vendel FB2 prototypes. I can only imagine that the component quality has only gotten better in the past ten years and that Atgames has the potential to make this something special.

What's the usual release schedule for their stuff? September-ish?

• Like 3

New member on the RVGS team, so many "executives" it's not even funny anymore.

I didn't see him being mentioned so far in the thread, mind you my attention span wrt RVGS++ has been waning.

http://www.retrovgs.com/team.html

Steven J. Rosenbaum: Executive Creative Director. Rosenbaum has been an award winning Executive Creative Director for the Video Game Industry since 2003. Heading up and building video game divisions for some of the largest theatrical agencies in Hollywood. Steven has lead the charge creating full marketing campaigns for the largest worldwide game publishers including: Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Deep Silver, Crystal Dynamics, Bethesda, Disney Interactive and Sony PlayStation. Franchises include Far Cry, Assassin Creed, The Evil Within, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, Madden, Prototype, Uncharted and Dead Island to name a few. Steven has recently joined the executive board to help build the future list of growing titles and overseeing marketing initiatives for the Coleco Chameleon.

Steven has been passionate about video games since 1980 when he received an Intellivision while his father Peter Rosenbaum was editing a documentary with Mr. Intellivision himself George Plimpton. While owning pretty much every console and handheld ever created, the Colecovision is still his favorite system to date.

Stole his picture from his linkedin profile it seems

https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-rosenbaum-93b9503

Not that the other one (Ben Herman, VP Sales) which looks like sitting on a train taking a selfie is any better or even (Phil Adam, VP Business Development) with little magic fingers on his shoulder (creepy as hell, reminded me of Thing T. Thing from the Addams :D )

But let's not judge anything just by the look .... we already know it looks like a Jag so I guess we can stomach the rest too :ponder:

EDIT:

didn't know about this one (so 3 of them worked together since 2013 .... mmmhhhhh)

http://www.retroactionentertainment.com/about.html

1 game "Chicken Shift" (http://www.retroactionentertainment.com/games.html), is it me or it is just one letter away from something else .... [disclaimer I've never played the game so it can literally be "da shit" given the Polaro guy seems to be prolific http://www.polaro.com/screenshots/ .... I really dig the "Drink Master" right now :twisted: it's gotta "search using speech" .... am sowwy ama little sluwwed wight now.... time for another beer]

Edited by phoenixdownita

Phil Adam is a nice guy, he was actually on the very early Skype calls as well as Steve and a few other notable people. That was when the participants were educating Mike in how to turn his idea into an actual product.

No offense meant, but I'm sure he's got a better picture, although his current twitter one is not really a choice:

https://twitter.com/padam54

Cartridges back in the day were a convenience and an enabler. Today they are a burden because other technology has matured to the point we no longer need them. So you see - there is little need for cartridges today. Let alone a whole brand new system. Not in this low-end door-prize market.

But today there are brand new systems with cartridges. :-D

leapfrog-leapster2-games.jpg

• Like 3

228K of data doesn't need to be stored in a cartridge the size of a ham sandwich! "Portable," ha!!

Actually, it's 384kbytes combined ROM (256kbyte PRG plus 128kbyte CHR), plus most PCBs are way smaller than the carts, so you could just saw off the top half and it would still work. Famicom for instance has much smaller form factor.

1 game "Chicken Shift" (http://www.retroactionentertainment.com/games.html), is it me or it is just one letter away from something else ....

Hardly an original game, at that. They mention on the page it's a "spiritual successor" to the original arcade game which I've played in MAME. It's much closer than one letter away.

Certainly such a product would have to see deep support from the community, hard to do when you burn bridges and alienate your customer base.

More to the point - they're over-estimating the size of the community in the first place.

Actually, it's 384kbytes combined ROM (256kbyte PRG plus 128kbyte CHR), plus most PCBs are way smaller than the carts, so you could just saw off the top half and it would still work. Famicom for instance has much smaller form factor.

Better yet, I could put the data and a shload of other stuff on a flash chip the size of my thumbnail instead. You can keep the cartridges!
  • Like 1

Better yet, I could put the data and a shload of other stuff on a flash chip the size of my thumbnail instead. You can keep the cartridges!

My Harmony will do the same. I have a 2Gbyte SD in my Harmony, but my N64 cart has a 32Gbyte in it and my Rasbi Pi MAME arcade is a 32Gb Micro.

So with flash cartridge, it lets you use the SD card with every ROM ever made on on the physical cart bus. Best of both worlds! :D

My Harmony will do the same. I have a 2Gbyte SD in my Harmony, but my N64 cart has a 32Gbyte in it and my Rasbi Pi MAME arcade is a 32Gb Micro.

So with flash cartridge, it lets you use the SD card with every ROM ever made on on the physical cart bus. Best of both worlds! :D

Speaking of which, who is going to be the first one to ask RVGS's Facebook group if there is an official flash cartridge for the Chameleon?

• Like 4

Oh i am very sure that any official flash cart from the Chameleon team will never see the light of day, and any question about it would likely be ignored or given a negative response as such a cart could make all their CARTRIDGES!!! Instantly obsolete and make their own cart sales melt away and hurt their presumed profits as i guess the plan (whatever) is to earn the real money through software sales as any other console maker.

Besides, flashcarts is too modern and convenient to be allowed access through the golden gates of Retroland, much like end-labels or dustcovers.

EDIT: Bills tease about upcoming wanted features in Atari stuff by AtGames got me real excited. Cart slot? Memory cards? 1TB hard drive, 4k resolution, WiFi and HDMI capability?

Edited by Raticon

If it's running Android, you might not even need a cartridge... or the console!!

Popularity is a double edged sword, Mikey, if I know the internet then I'm sure someone out there would love the challenge of cracking the Chameleon and releasing an apk for free. That said, maybe this vulnerability is a blessing in disguise? Maybe it'll keep Mike in line so he doesn't continue his habit of burning bridges because if he betrays someone who's writing the software for him it could really screw him over now.

• Like 5

There is no doubt that if the Coleco Chameleon is very successful, People will try to clone, hack, emulate and pirate it.

But so far anyone willing to do that can already Play all games announced, so that shouldn't really be a worry at this Point.

• Like 3