IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

From RVGS on Facebook:

Get ready for our Kickstarter date reveal happening here on our Facebook page live from Toy Fair NY at 9:30 AM ET next Saturday, February 13th. Then come back daily at 9:30 AM ET where we'll reveal a new Kickstarter Reward beginning with the Limited Early Bird Retail Package/Price.

Again with the packaging and sales dates but no prices. Free marketing tip for Parrothead: this isn't Ultra 64, or Xbox. When you're a little guy, especially when you're asking for peoples' money, what you are selling is more important to people than when and in what color.

• Like 6

Its funny, when Mike first brought this idea up to us his first question was what would it take to build a new console from a technical point of view, the second question he posed was "Do you think there is a market for it, will people buy it?" I told him I liked the idea and that I would buy one and all the carts, but then again I buy lots of crazy stuff like a life size T800 for my kitchen and we literally have no furniture on the first two levels of our house, it is all arcade games. And did I think there would be a viable market for it? Probably not I said. Certainly such a product would have to see deep support from the community, hard to do when you burn bridges and alienate your customer base. Will the FPGA matter to the general public? The price point is higher than impulse purchase territory, and I can't see retailers going for it for the very same reasons listed here in this thread.

This is a textbook example of an extreme case of confirmation bias. Mike's filtering out every other possible answer other than the one he's decided he already wants to hear, and that is, that if he makes this people will pay for it and he'll make a lot of money. The fact that he's not offering something people want in a way that makes sense or at a price they're willing to pay is tossed aside as irrelevant.

I'm holding off further judgement until after the "big reveal", but so far, it looks like the only thing that's changed from last time is the brand name.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 2

Okay, so they are launching their kickstarter live from the toy fair?

Will any potential customers attending their booth really sign any order deals then and there for the console if the funding isnt complete by the fair and is in fact starting just before their very eyes?

• Like 1

They are not going to start another campaign without a working prototype and solid details are they?

Yea... they probably will

Well, as far as prototyping goes, during the IndieGoGo campaign Mike had some very strong opinions on what he considers to be a prototype, so I'm going to hold him to his own standards and nothing less.

9/17/15

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179178089&postcount=1163

[Regarding OUYA's pitch video and gif below]

3o85xAbxTJxmNXCQjS.gif

What you are seeing in that video is more than likely an Nvidia Eval board not anything they built. It obviously isn't the board inside the Ouya as it doesn't fit. We could do the same thing with our processor eval board, but that isn't technically a prototype. And you did see the controller getting cut out of a block of wood?

We are light years ahead of where they were when they launched their campaign.
Also, they show a menu on a TV. Nothing there is a working prototype. All smoke and mirrors.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179180192&postcount=1167

Look, we aren't going to fool our backers into thinking we have a working proto when we don't. We can edit and cut a video together showing exactly what they are showing--which is nothing conslusive...

His gripe was that the OUYA isn't a real prototype because the prototype they showed is not what was sent to backers. So to him, a prototype is pretty damn near production ready. If he can't beat the OUYA's price, maybe with his prototype he can make a more compelling pitch video?

I hope people will report on the following at the toy fair (aside from specs, OS and whatnot):

1) does the console have a back panel (and a front panel while we're at it)? If so, is it 3D printed or professionally manufactured?

2) can you swap out carts and play different games?

3) when you turn it on does it just boot directly to the game without any input or does it boot to a menu?

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 4

Well, as far as prototyping goes, Mike was very specific during the IndieGoGo campaign on what he considers to be a prototype, so I'm going to hold him to his own standards and nothing less.

Also, they show a menu on a TV. Nothing there is a working prototype. All smoke and mirrors.

Annnnd... cue the smoke and mirrors:

I hope people will report on the following at the toy fair (aside from specs, OS and whatnot):

1) does the console have a back panel (and a front panel while we're at it)? If so, is it 3D printed or professionally manufactured?

2) can you swap out carts and play different games?

3) when you turn it on does it just boot directly to the game without any input or does it boot to a menu?

4) Is it in a translucent shell? ;)

• Like 6

Thought I'd check out the Coleco home page, to see if any sort of announcements were up there about the Chameleon, Toy Fair, or whatever.

Nope.

But the picture on the front page is priceless... Thanks to the "play" button, I can't tell if the kid is flipping off the camera, or picking his nose.

coleco-home.jpg

• Like 2

Lock my bet in:

What we'll see on Kickstarter:

-base price: $159 with a 1 year subscription to RETRO (they won't have a Kickstarter for year 3 of RETRO, instead they'll just skim money off the top of the Chameleon Kickstarter)

-one controller

-one cart, but you won't want it, you'll have to go into the $200+ tiers to get any good, semi-modern games

-No FPGA, instead it'll just be a cheap board, 1ghz processor at most

-No SD slot

-It'll run Android or Linux, but locked down to their own front end, booting a cartridge will not be instantaneous

What we'll see at the toy fair:

-The unit will be placed as far away from everyone as possible, both so people don't mess with it and so you don't see the back

-People in social media will visit the booth but will only ask easy, fluffy questions

-The expo goers who are there for actual business purposes will be perplexed by their booth and ask some marketing questions but not get any solid answers in return, they will give them a thumbs up and a "go get em' good luck!" before backing away and leaving silently; Mike & Co. will report that as an incredible success

• Like 12

Lock my bet in:

-base price: $159 with a 1 year subscription to RETRO (they won't have a Kickstarter for year 3 of RETRO, instead they'll just skim money off the top of the Chameleon Kickstarter)

-one controller

-one cart, but you won't want it, you'll have to go into the $200+ tiers to get any good, semi-modern games

-No FPGA, instead it'll just be a cheap board, 1ghz processor at most

-No SD slot

-It'll run Android or Linux, but locked down to their own front end, booting a cartridge will not be instantaneous

-The unit will be placed as far away from everyone as possible, both so people don't mess with it and so you don't see the back

-People in social media will visit the booth but will only ask easy, fluffy questions

-The expo goers who are there for actual business purposes will be perplexed by their booth and ask some marketing questions but not get any solid answers in return, they will give them a thumbs up and a "go get em' good luck!" before backing away and leaving silently; Mike & Co. will report that as an incredible success

I think you're right because I don't have confidence in the group and the $200 price point would still be hit if it has a meaningful cart. I just feel it in my bones we're gonna get a semi-useless Intellivision/Colecovision cart as a pack-in. Your extra subliminal $9 for $159 I think makes sense too because it's not a breaking point for the price. And to think at $300 before we'd have had a much more powerful machine with a real pack-in game that was made for the system. If you're right (which I think you are), the price is gonna be $200 to include a game we probably could get for another system, plus losing features and they take the easy route with the hardware.

I got to thinking, if they offer no incentive to use crowdfunding like the first time (they basically just sold shit expensive like their store, it still might not catch on even at a low point. And if they plan to sell the thing for $200 retail and have the $150 Kickstarter price, it's still gonna fail. They should be giving a decent deal to gain a higher install base and basically sell shit at cost to get people into it. $150 retail price with a pack-in and $150 KS price should have an extra game and extra controller, something, is the sweet spot. I think Mike's idea is crowdfunding is nothing more than a pre-order for his start-up money and nothing more.

I can't wait to look back on this in 2 years to see if Mike was a lunatic or just a really persistent businessman.

• Like 3

Get ready for our Kickstarter date reveal happening here on our Facebook page live from Toy Fair NY at 9:30 AM ET next Saturday, February 13th. Then come back daily at 9:30 AM ET where we'll reveal a new Kickstarter Reward beginning with the Limited Early Bird Retail Package/Price.

Come back daily? Oh hell no!!!

You either have something tangible or I ain't gonna be impressed by the "color" of the day bs.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

And then of course, he will be "in talks" with all of those businesses from the expo. :lol:

• Like 7

-base price: $159 with a 1 year subscription to RETRO

Is that a half-issue?

The ColecoVision Flashback's Greatest "Hits", or whatever they could pick up cheapest.

Bolted down, lots of glue. May work half the time, if they're lucky. Will have Flashbacks on standby under the table, just in case to "show the concept".

• Like 1

Thought I'd check out the Coleco home page, to see if any sort of announcements were up there about the Chameleon, Toy Fair, or whatever.

Nope.

But the picture on the front page is priceless... Thanks to the "play" button, I can't tell if the kid is flipping off the camera, or picking his nose.

coleco-home.jpg

Why is that the Commodore 64 version of Zaxxon??!??!

So, basically the Konix Multi System, then.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 5

My bet: The playable prototype they promised will be a cobbled together "proof of concept" -nowhere near production ready. There will be an empty shells in assorted colors. Specs will be vague and minimal, but will boil down to "flashback + cartridges." Any concrete information will be dissected and criticized here. Pack in will be Coleco classics multicart, volume 1, with 10-15 games. Volume 2 "coming soon!" Kickstarter will fall short, and blame will go to the "haters and trolls"

• Like 6

If they spent as much time and energy on engineering as they do marketing and hype, we'd have a 10x cool awesomely awesome system already.

By bet is proof of concept as well, possibly going to the smoke and mirrors route again.

Seriously.... I agree that time could be used better for just about anything.

Maybe the other doubters and I will be proven wrong. I guess none of us have much at stake one way or the other.

• Like 1