IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It seems weird that atari kept these molds. Seems like all other companies must melt them down when done with them as I have never heard of any others popping up. My guess is what's happening here is the main reason for not keeping them around.

Those molds are cursed. They need to be encased in concrete and buried somewhere. As for why do they still exist - the Jag was discontinued in 96, and didn't Atari file for bankruptcy the same year? Probably why the Jag was discontinued anyway. So they begin selling assets to cover debt. Off they go - to who knows where, when they are eventually picked up by the dental cam people for probably a song.

• Like 2

Phantom mentioned here is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment#The_Phantom_console

There is also the Konix Multisystem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konix_Multisystem

SNES CD-ROM:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES-CD

Sega Neptune:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32X#Sega_Neptune

3DO M2 (was used in some Konami arcade games but home console scrapped)

Indrema L600

and many more never were released.

OH wow I remember when i first saw something about that Phantom. It sounded cool. too bad it didn't go anywhere

It seems weird that atari kept these and the 7800 molds. Seems like all other companies must melt them down when done with them as I have never heard of any others popping up. My guess is what's happening here is the main reason for not keeping them around.

I think there has to be other ones out there. The Chinese repro shells for the entire GameBoy line are just too spot on to be anything but reused originals. I wouldn't be surprised if Dendy got a hold of some Famicom molds too.

• Like 2

I would love to get one of these. It's a cool collector piece.

they're not expensive. I found one for 299 brazilian real (1 US Dollar = 4 Brazilian Real)

Thee seller doesn't ship to the US, but i would bet you could find these on eBay

Here http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-706385727-phanton-system-na-caixa-compativel-nintendo-nes-ligar-jogar-_JM

• Like 2

And now it's longer, still going full steam.....

:twisted:

Yes indeed. At time of writing I am caught up to 200.

I swear some of you do not sleep.

Well, I do. If I didn't, I wouldn't be quoting posts ten pages old.

I wake up, and am beind. Doesn't help when I have errands to run during the day either...

• Like 1

I should try, I am sure Al can undo it easily enough, unless I use the "Nuke it from orbit" button, which erases someones entire existance. :ponder:

Shhhh! We don't talk about that in front of the peasants! :D

Screenshot of this fabled "nuke" button, or it does not exist. No Photoshop/Gimp tweaking allowed! :evil:

It seems weird that atari kept these and the 7800 molds. Seems like all other companies must melt them down when done with them as I have never heard of any others popping up. My guess is what's happening here is the main reason for not keeping them around.

I tracked down some companies trying to find where some molds ended up for a project I had been working on once. I was able to find what companies last had the molds I was looking for but all of them had been destroyed. I did ask why that was and the answer I got each time was the same. They just didn't have the space to keep them and thought they would never use them again. I'm sure some are destroyed for anti piracy reasons, but when you find ones that are still around from what I've seen it tends to be because they got pushed into the back of a storage or such and forgotten about. They just had the room so to say.

• Like 4

Also I must include a few more...

Janet Maddox Goree's "New Life" from Atatiage.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/196644-my-new-life/

Airgames with his "Close this discussion of dick I broke!"

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232173-atari-2600-vcs-incredible-hulk-parker-brothers-sealed/page-1?hl=+close%20+this%20+discussion%20+of%20+dick%20+broke

And recently Natalie888's boxed Ataaaaaweee with sealed Pac-Man

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240610-atari-2600-new-in-box-with-unopened-pacman/page-1

Then there was the Air Raid auction where the seller threatened Albert with a law suit...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245299-boxed-air-raid-sells-for-500/

• Like 5

I have been paying attention, Getting out for blood because somebody failed at a plan isn't productive

companies and investors lose money on gambits, and frankly it takes bluffs sometimes to make things work. If harm is happening to people it is due to internet hate lynch mobbing as opposed to a failed project.

Are you even remotely serious? So bluffs are just fine? Are you a stand up comedian?

• Like 2

Thanks! This one is my favorite, and probably the best one to start with, since it links back to the earlier ones.

(While we're "initiating" our new members, we should also explain: the avatar that backin89 used to have was a small picture of William Shatner as TJ Hooker. Funny Shatner pictures have been a running joke on AtariAge ever since.)

Thanks. That finally explains the funny Shatner pictures. I think when someone pointed out those classic threads to me, backin89 didn't have a profile pic with it.

• Like 2

First of all, I'm not bothering to address this reply specifically to you. You're either being sarcastic, or you're so willfully blind to everything that has come to light that you're totally unreachable.

I'm quoting your message because I'm sure there are still people out there reading this who are somehow completely unmoved by everything that has happened, who are so emotionally invested in Mike Kennedy and the RVGS/Chameleon that nothing that we've uncovered so far makes any difference to them. I have the following questions for those people: Why are you so determined to support this particular project? Why are you so determined to believe these particular people? There are so many other worthy projects that are being undertaken right now by passionate and qualified individuals who love classic gaming just as much as you do. These are projects that would probably benefit enormously from the attention, financial support, and participation of classic gaming fans just like you. Why, then, have you chosen to pass those projects over so you can give your undying loyalty to Mike Kennedy and his harebrained ideas? I'd really love to know.

Somebody doesn't get the joke. Not trying to defend Janus, as his/her/its posts have been less than helpful, just saying...
  • Like 1

Somebody doesn't get the joke. Not trying to defend Janus, as his/her/its posts have been less than helpful, just saying...

Well, of course I knew that Janus was probably being sarcastic, hence the first paragraph. I wrote that post because I'd seen comments from true believers who are STILL holding out hope that the Chameleon will really happen and that Mike is just having a bad hair day. These people would probably say the same things Janus has been saying, only they would actually mean it.

I can't quite understand why Mike just didn't re-released the Jaguar with new games?

A handful of us would love that, but the rest of the world...?

During the last few days here in AA I found out that it is somewhat easy to convert Atari ST games to Jaguar. My mind exploded!

It is at least possible, you might, want to clarify whether it is 'somewhat easy' with CyranoJ. Sounds interesting though, what ST games do you have?

When it's over I'd like to know if possible how many new members AA picked up during the whole shebang .... hopefully the new subscriptions make up a little for the increase in traffic, if not likely the Admins would let us know but to my untrained eyes it seems that there are quite a few more + signs on the bottom line of user(s) browsing which is a good thing.

• Like 5

Plain and simple Mike has a great idea and I hope it's a mass market success!

If you're being sincere, I would simply ask that you go back and read an earlier post that I wrote, listing alternatives to the Chameleon that you can enjoy right now. Look over that list and please tell us what the Chameleon offers to you that these other alternatives do not, because try as I might, I can't see why the Chameleon has any reason to exist.
  • Like 3

A handful of us would love that, but the rest of the world...?

It is at least possible, you might, want to clarify whether it is 'somewhat easy' with CyranoJones. Sounds interesting though, what ST games do you have?

Onslaught, Custodian, Jim Power, Skweek; also working on Apydia and Gem'x

• Like 2