IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I haven't watched this yet, but it's hot off the press:

It all goes askew about nine minutes in. Mike didn't make "a mistake." He made a series of mistakes that turned into lies. OF course everyone makes mistakes. It's how you deal with them that measures what kind of man or woman you are.

I'm 12 minutes in and now, it's not a big deal because ISIS is killing people all oeve rthe world. Also, no one lost money. Again, ask the RGR guys about that.

15 minutes in; Pat's the bad guy because he didn't reach out to Mike for "the facts." Also, Pat's a hypocrite because he worked for RETRO magazine ( a fact he disclosed on the first podcast he did about the Retro VGS).

18 minutes; Pat's doing this for views and there's two sides to every story.

Good lord. As far as I'm concerned, this video undoes his previous apology. I can't believe the ignorance displayed here. He really does ultimately prove Pat was right in his callout.

• Like 11

This is very meta, but there should be a story-focused Kickstarter about the Coleco Chameleon project itself. We have two bogus prototypes, mystery, intrigue, trolling, threats, apologies, countless talking heads, the Coleco mascot, not to mention the megathread on AA. Merchandising alone on Coleco Chameleon Guy would surpass its actual console sales.

• Like 3

I'm so sick of talking head videos. Why can't anyone WRITE?

Gamester81 is a YouTuber. Of course he's going to post a video about it.

Does anyone has the extreme pro-RETRO VGS videos that gamester81 made? Did he pull them all?

The review he with with Mike & Co for the RetroVGS has been pulled down. That's the video most people refer to, as he clearly went in to the video without understanding the allegations against the team and he let Mike run the discussion instead of asking the questions everyone wanted to hear. Thankfully Triverse remedied the situation with his own review.

This is an interesting situation to be speculative on, because Coleco sounds like they want to be nothing but respectful and polite -- but, boy, I'll be honest, I'll be surprised if they can whip up something in time. We'll see! :P

This is from their statement:

"The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame."

They should not be allowed to whip something up in time. They say they want to look at the prototypes units (which sounds like the ones we are questioning). If that does happen and they are being honest about having them checked, then it will be over. If they come out saying its real, then they were in on it, or they allowed them to submit something other than these 2 prototypes. Will be interesting to see.

• Like 6

I love it how people who can tell you why a system is so great when it is announced suddenly become "not a hardware guy" when the sh*t hits the fan...

I'm beginning to think she's not a troll but really believes in Mike. Even has a decent profile pick on digitpress. Not saying I agree, but maybe we were wrong to chase her of...

No, read the comment history here- either trolling or dealing with multiple personalities, sometimes in the same post. Just some kid having a laugh, watching the outraged responses.

• Like 8

I'm beginning to think she's not a troll but really believes in Mike. Even has a decent profile pick on digitpress. Not saying I agree, but maybe we were wrong to chase her of...

It must be nice to have that level of faith in someone even thru tons of evidence. I've been a bitter, old cynic steeped in realism since pretty much the day I was born, so that kind of faith is alien to me.

• Like 3

I am watching this gamester81 Video, and 7 minutes in it's just awful. Everything is awful damage controll. But yeah, saying that is being an entitled troll in a witch hunt isn't it?

Now 10 minutes in it's even worse. Again, It's infuriating. whatever. The "fans" will still Support him. He's a cool guy. Just like Mike. Mike's a cool guy too isn't he? Funny, passionate..

edit: Deending These journalists that publish a press release without even doing a Google search? For real?

Edited by leods
  • Like 5

This is from their statement:

"The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame."

They should not be allowed to whip something up in time. They say they want to look at the prototypes units (which sounds like the ones we are questioning). If that does happen and they are being honest about having them checked, then it will be over. If they come out saying its real, then they were in on it, or they allowed them to submit something other than these 2 prototypes. Will be interesting to see.

Looking at this logically, it would be impossible to whip something up in a only a few days. If instead they had some type of prototype in actual progress, regardless of state, then why post such a blatant lie post-Toy Show with the random capture card board?

I can imagine that perhaps the 7 day thing was on the advice of a lawyer to professionally and safely dissolve any contract(s) between the two entities. As I more or less posted in a Facebook comment to them when Coleco Holdings posted the 7 day thing, there's no salvaging the project from the PR nightmare, so I don't think they'd logically be looking for a way to stay in. (and yes, I know associating any "logic" with this whole fiasco is a stretch)

• Like 8

dj_convoy, the best response to that video would be a reaction video using his own words from the RVGS campaign.

But I didn't post it to talk more about him; I just felt I should since I've brought up his username several times. I only saw later that some of our posts made it into the video.

• Like 3

This is very meta, but there should be a story-focused Kickstarter about the Coleco Chameleon project itself. We have two bogus prototypes, mystery, intrigue, trolling, threats, apologies, countless talking heads, the Coleco mascot, not to mention the megathread on AA. Merchandising alone on Coleco Chameleon Guy would surpass its actual console sales.

Are you talking about a kickstarter for someone to write a book about this mess? What would the prototype be? A blank composition notebook in a War and Peace dust jacket? :-D

• Like 7

Yeah, it's pretty much a big "whatever," at this point. In the interest of staying "on topic" (*chuckle*), do you guys and gals believe (and I don't mean "ha ha, he got a different piece of tech to stick in the case!") that Mike and his alleged team are using these seven days to "finalize" some sort of FPGA board for this supposed inspection? Like "OMIGAWD, we have a deadline agghhhhhhh!" Or do you think they've straight given up?

• Like 2

Good lord. As far as I'm concerned, this video undoes his previous apology. I can't believe the ignorance displayed here. He really does ultimately prove Pat was right in his callout.

This video should have been no more than 5 minutes.

this is the script I think many of us would wish would have been presented:

"Hi, I'm gamester81. As many of you know by now, there has been much controversy swirling around the Coleco Chameleon, and at this point forward I am no longer supporting the project. I am part owner of Collectorvision games, and we did at one time intend to have our products featured on the Coleco Chameleon. I as well, as many of you, was lied to during this entire ordeal and false promises were made to all parties involved. I was at no point out to scam anyone. I really thought the Coleco Chameleon/Retro VGS would come to market. I understand that I used my channel to actively promote the Retro VGS to my installed subsriber base. I did not do my due diligence in reporting on the matter objectively in the days following the NY Toy Fair disaster. I understand the silence from my camp was deafening to many. I promise to be more forthcoming in the future regarding projects involving Collectorvision or myself and to take a much closer objective look at the people I align myself with. I know this apology may come as too late to some, and I understand it may take some time for you to regain your faith in me. I am sorry."

So if you're from youtube reading this thread. That's what the so called "angry mob" wanted. Just simple accountability. NOBODY is calling for jon's head on a pike, or to shut him out of the gaming community. A simple sincere apology to his user base was all anyone expected. Instead there's this 30 minute video of verbal waffling and finger pointing.

• Like 15

I lost a shittone of respect for Gamester81 after watching that video.

Flip flopping to the extreme, hitting contradictions left and right, trying to appease both sides while twisting the knife at the same time.

I found the bringing up the things he's done for Pat to be especially jarring, and the constant feeling that he was defending Mike more-so than understanding why Pat was so pissed off.

Gamester81, dude, you f'ed up, you'd have been better off not making a video at all than posting this.

Going full christmas time commercial donation begging level guilt tripping over the ISIS and staving kids thing was the nail in the coffin for me.

• Like 14

It all goes askew about nine minutes in. Mike didn't make "a mistake." He made a series of mistakes that turned into lies. OF course everyone makes mistakes. It's how you deal with them that measures what kind of man or woman you are.

I'm 12 minutes in and now, the Chameleon situatuion is not a big deal because ISIS is killing people all over the world. Also, no one lost money. Again, ask the RGR guys about that.

15 minutes in; Pat's the bad guy because he didn't reach out to Mike for "the facts." Not that Mike had the facts, but Pat should have reached out to him (?). Also, Pat's a hypocrite because he worked for RETRO magazine (a fact he disclosed on the first podcast he did about the Retro VGS. Keep in mind John did not disclose his involvement with the RVGS).

18 minutes; Pat's doing this for views and there's two sides to every story.

21 minutes; he's upset that people take away what one guy says on the internet as gospel. He hosts a show where people go to him for his opinions about games; I'm at a loss to see how people treating Pat's (sourced) opinions is any different than him telling us how great the Retro VGS was going to be.

This was a pretty interesting video; as he says up front, he wasn't going to change anyone's opinion. He's clearly very upset about his integrity being besmirched; but vacillates WILDLY between being upset with Mike, and then saying that we should look at both sides and understand that maybe Mike had good reasons for what he did. He talks about how he doesn't want to dredge up the past or get into internet drama, but goes after Pat. He says he's sorry for calling people at these forums names and for leading Collectorvision down a path with Kennedy... but then he is upset that he has to apologize at all. He's angry people want him to talk about this in his comments and Twitter and Facebook, but is also angry that no one asked him what he thought about all of this (?).

There are many more points in there ("I'm not going to defend the SNES-in-a-Jag, but here's a totally plausible way it could have happened"), most important around the seven minute mark where he tries to make it sound like his calling the AA guys haters in that infomercial, taking down the infomercial, and apologizing for "implying" that he called AA a bunch of haters were the same day. As far as I know, his first apology came not even two days ago after the whole DVR-in-a-Jag Shell. Up until that point, I was under the impression (maybe I'm wrong) John was in the "you'll see once the Kickstarter launches that Mike was right all along" camp.

So for me the whole video is

SPIN.gif

• Like 6