IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

This is from their statement:

"The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame."

They should not be allowed to whip something up in time. They say they want to look at the prototypes units (which sounds like the ones we are questioning). If that does happen and they are being honest about having them checked, then it will be over. If they come out saying its real, then they were in on it, or they allowed them to submit something other than these 2 prototypes. Will be interesting to see.

Agreed, they should have taken action by now.

Funny to me: no one says "debase these concerns." It's a weird tortured way to say what they mean. If you google "debase these concerns" the top results are all about Coleco shams. Put that in your meme posters! http://bfy.tw/4aS9

• Like 7

This is very meta, but there should be a story-focused Kickstarter about the Coleco Chameleon project itself. We have two bogus prototypes, mystery, intrigue, trolling, threats, apologies, countless talking heads, the Coleco mascot, not to mention the megathread on AA. Merchandising alone on Coleco Chameleon Guy would surpass its actual console sales.

StopDrop&Retro is considering such a video project. While we sometimes don't see eye-to-eye, he certainly has a unique viewpoint and makes informative, entertaining videos. I don't have the link handy, but you might consider watching his Retroland video (about RVGS, but I'm sure still applies). He said no to a Kickstarter, though.

• Like 1

I lost a shittone of respect for Gamester81 after watching that video.

Flip flopping to the extreme, hitting contradictions left and right, trying to appease both sides while twisting the knife at the same time.

I found the bringing up the things he's done for Pat to be especially jarring, and the constant feeling that he was defending Mike more-so than understanding why Pat was so pissed off.

Gamester81, dude, you f'ed up, you'd have been better off not making a video at all than posting this.

Going full christmas time commercial donation begging level guilt tripping over the ISIS and staving kids thing was the nail in the coffin for me.

No worries, it'll be taken down soon enough, I'm sure. :D

• Like 3

I think they may have actually been working on something, but had been seriously overly-optimistic about timelines. They probably have something, but nothing that was anywhere near complete enough to bring to a trade show or whatever so they've been trying to stall and fool people and it just hasn't worked. They may have something to show, but I doubt it's much.

ShopDrop&Retro is considering such a video project. While we don't always see eye-to-eye, he certainly has a unique viewpoint and makes informative, entertaining videos. I don't have the link handy, but you might consider watching his Retroland video (about RVGS, but I'm sure still applies). He said no to a Kickstarter, though.

I think you're talking about this video of his

I watched it yesterday and it was really good. He does seem to have some documentary-fu under his belt. The Kickstarter part of it was basically a joke, but would add to the meta of this cluster.

• Like 5

I am watching this gamester81 Video, and 7 minutes in it's just awful. Everything is awful damage controll. But yeah, saying that is being an entitled troll in a witch hunt isn't it?

Now 10 minutes in it's even worse. Again, It's infuriating. whatever. The "fans" will still Support him. He's a cool guy. Just like Mike. Mike's a cool guy too isn't he? Funny, passionate..

edit: Deending These journalists that publish a press release without even doing a Google search? For real?

So I watched the whole thing. Where's the "I'm Sorry?"

• Like 4

Agreed, they should have taken action by now.

Funny to me: no one says "debase these concerns." It's a weird tortured way to say what they mean. If you google "debase these concerns" the top results are all about Coleco shams. Put that in your meme posters! http://bfy.tw/4aS9

Also why is more important to "debase these concerns" rather than simply "ascertain they are not lying". Why the emphasis is on the debase?

If I were them I'd jury rig something like a RPi with some sort of board salvaged from say an old portable DVD player. If Im not mistaken I remember someone earlier mentioning that photos of DVD player circuit boards being hard to come by

There were lots of better choices for a PCB. A DVD player would have been a good choice. Anything really that is not really taken apart normally by a consumer. A pci computer card was a bad choice. Not much thought was put into the last fake.

I think they may have actually been working on something, but had been seriously overly-optimistic about timelines. They probably have something, but nothing that was anywhere near complete enough to bring to a trade show or whatever so they've been trying to stall and fool people and it just hasn't worked. They may have something to show, but I doubt it's much.

You are right, they were working at hot-gluing USB ports into a CaptureCard board, and taping a led to said Capture Card, and find a way to hide the way they power that led and so on ...... very busy endeavors I admit.

• Like 1

I haven't watched this yet, but it's hot off the press:

Decent video for many reasons.

Seems very much like Mike treated him exactly like he treated others he had around him - telling them what they want to hear/as much as he wants to tell and leaving them hanging by a thread that he can easily snip at any time.

Some good info regarding the CC end of things, hadn't heard him mention much to do with this so really appreciate his commentary here.

The whole Pat NES Punk thing is a bit odd though, it's like one of those laughable Rapper beef spats from the 90s. And the ISIS stuff, Kids Are Starving In The Street...? Wut? If someone feels like dismissing everything because it's only vidya and there's more important stuff going on out there, then any of us can feel free to go wipe our dev directories, delete our yt channels and devote our lives to the real stuff. That's just strawman nonsense, sorry. And the "buy nobody lost any money" comment, that didn't sit well - it's the intent that matters. Attempted robbery is a thing, yo. Calling out Pat for laying in to sites who flaccidly regurgitated the CC press release without informing themselves as to what it was they were subjecting their readership to was unfair, that's not at all "how it works", or at least should not be, otherwise the gaming public are just sitting there ripe for the picking and gaming media would be complicit in any harm done. Responsibility and accountability do not cease with the person who puts out a press release - a quick google would have set off all the alarm bells anyone would have needed to know not everything was awesome in RetroLand.

The ps4/Naughty Dog line was a very weak analogy that made no sense. Guilt by association is not what people are requesting clarification of, especially not such an illogical one. And people aren't angry because Collectorvision wanted to have their games on MK's system/s. Some of those comments decorating the video (particularly those from facebook/twitter/yt) were utterly vile - but the same can be said of practically any subject "discussed" there. Away from bandwaggoners and the uninformed angry young men of social media, what some people would like to see is a more clear and frank outlining of the involvement _beyond_ simply making those games. The video went some way to answering those concerns.

He says "when you are looking for facts - go to the source". So John can't really offer much in the way of facts and we shouldn't be looking to him for them? Fair is fair. So the video I'd like to see now would be a revisit of the MK interview by John, with the gloves off. Is that likely to happen? Given what is said later in the video, no. He still clearly regards MK as a friend and he's not ready to throw that away, despite wishing to distance himself from the RVGS/CC. But given that content towards the end of the video regarding Mike directly "He owns RETRO, he owns GG, why would he intentionally deceive people?", I'm not sure that would really have the desired result... see, he mentions Mike's businesses etc, but doesn't point out that, numerous times, he's shafted people involved with one of these businesses, by doing not exactly straight-up deals with the other businesses. Pipercub, for instance, part owner of the RETRO/GG/etc side of things, was kicked to the kerb when Mike fired up a new company shortly before the IGG was due to commence. And again, a new company "bought" the jaguar moulds from the other company... and the new company is going to pay RETRO for advertising, and... put all that in the context of what Steven Tom Sawyer recently said... and things are highly questionable IMO.

Nobody (with any credibility at least) is saying the whole idea of RVGS/CC was to "fuck people over" or that there was a master plan with this as a goal to begin with, that's simply another straw man. What people are saying is that MK, the kingpin between all these projects and the only guy who is in possession of all the facts and with access to all the players, at some point, took the decision that he'd attempt to deceive people in order to force the KS to go ahead - because that's exactly what happened. That's why a SNES ended up inside a Jaguar, and that's exactly why a capture card took its place - desperation to see this through and short-cut the bit where you actually have to have a fucking product to show. Unless, you know, it was all Mr Li...

n111022c_dpi.jpg

John says there's always 2 sides to every story. Unfortunately, when MK is concerned, it seems there are as many sides to the story as there are people involved, because each person's involvement is highly controlled and their access to information comes from one... single... source...

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 11

Seriously. I can't even start. I'd have to write 300 lines here about everything wrong with this Video. I'll just leave it at that. Really sad. Before this Video I still though John was just negligent. At this Point I think it's much worse than that. He's actually angry at People for being called out. That's WAY OFF from being sorry. It's pretty much the oposite of being sorry.

• Like 6

Here's some more "talking heads" for ya... :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8D4AsLzlM0

That's more like it.

Surely I'm not the only person who sees a 30 minute video of some dork and his camera and just shakes my head, right? I'm not wasting 30 minutes of my life on whatever he has to say, least of all about this topic. :roll:

EDIT: Not when I can read these fine summaries here instead.

Edited by Flojomojo
  • Like 5

There were lots of better choices for a PCB. A DVD player would have been a good choice. Anything really that is not really taken apart normally by a consumer. A pci computer card was a bad choice. Not much thought was put into the last fake.

The DVD player PCB may have a circular cutout for the base of the disc drive.

I still can't get over how somebody pinpointed the exact video capture card make & model. Is there a link to the exact post in this thread where somebody made that discovery? Did he mention how he figured it out?

Kevtris identified some parts and posted his thoughts, then galax took it a step farther with measurements and CSI-like enhancements. Then, as Al wrote to you, he and 5-11 he simultaneously discovered the actual board.

• Like 6

It's exhausting to have to put up with the blunders directly or indirectly connected with this textbook masterpiece of a project.

Why did Gamester81 made that video? I mean what was he thinking to obtain?

I hope this was not rehearsed or written down but was just random incoherent rants for being caught with the pants down and not feeling too bad about it ....

On second thought I wish he wrote it down and read it to himself, maybe that lonely neuron left over from the great escape of the rest of his brain, would have fired up and stopped him from doing even more damage.

Every time they have some knee-jerk reaction only the "jerk" part seems to emerge.

After a couple of attempts from all the parties involved I think that's all there really is to it.

[so far only J-F and Piko seems to have taken a satisfactory position, imho, they got fooled, they went along for sometime now it's done and it's undefendable]

• Like 1