IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Especially considering that he popped in here in a very timely and accurate matter to address the situation as soon as that silly fake Chameleon twitter accout and homepage was brought up.

At this point I think both the parody and the official Chameleon homepages are equally fake. Seeing as how neither one is an actual real product. At least the parody one is honest about what it is and that's far more than can be said about the official one.

Edited by TheClassyGamer
  • Like 4

Meanwhile, in the world of EXITING FPGA projects...

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com/2016/02/mist-minimig-aga-system-has-arrived.html

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE! But it is sooo expensive...

Why can't the Chameleon just drop the whole cartridge-nonsense and be like this? Sure, it's expensive but it is small, handy, seems easy to use and has a metric crapton of uses.

Getting bored of that Amiga? Fire up some Spectrum/C64/NES/Whatever!

Triverse has been oddly mum this time around.

He posted an article about it today. I think both he and Mike have been avoiding the forum after Mike's last rampage when he lashed out at Triverse. But they have different reasons for avoiding the forum, it's not like either one was asked to stay away as far as I know.

I hope to see some interesting coverage from Triverse soon. Now that's something you can be patient for that actually pays off!

• Like 3

I've been an excited supporter of this project since last May and probably would have backed the IGG campaign had it not been for the price. Even with all the BS that went on last time, I was still excited and ready to back this product. But this whole supposed "prototype" revealing is very fishy to say the least. I will still consider backing the Kickstarter but they will definitely need to impress me along with a generous deal for the early backers. I want a product like this to succeed so bad but this guy is seriously fucking it up.

He was very vocal for the branding thing .... I'm pretty sure I would enjoy one comment from him on this first Fair day of the Chameleon.

Yesterday thenavguy was defending Mike's, today not a pip ... what's up with that too.

Thanks to StopDrop&Retro for saying my name the third time and to PhoenixDownita for starting it. I have patiently been following this thread, liking certain things here and there (if anyone has noticed). As SD&R stated, I have written an article around their first video. Nothing "critical" or attacking them as that is not my style. I am more interested in the underlying intent, the actions more than the words, so to speak.

As SD&R stated correctly, I have avoided commenting here after the rather personal attack that Mike laid out on these forums. I figure it was best to take some time away, let everyone settle down a bit and for us all to remember, it is nothing personal- it is just business.

I am working on articles pointing out problems that I know (with pictures to document everything). There are many. Some have been pointed out here, others are not yet discussed. The key to following these types of developments is not to tip your hand too much. There is much to discuss, much to bring up and a lot of holes in the official "company" line already and we are only on day one of the Toy Fair.

• Like 7

He was very vocal for the branding thing .... I'm pretty sure I would enjoy one comment from him on this first Fair day of the Chameleon.

Yesterday thenavguy was defending Mike's, today not a pip ... what's up with that too.

Well, I spent all day at the airport trying to get to the show to support Coleco (they invited me), and I never made it due to weather. Mike is a good friend of mine, I stand by my friends in good and bad (you have to affect me personally in a negative way to lose that friendship which Mike has not done). I understand all this that is going on and see no need to provide opinions unless I know facts, I am not going to abandon a friend because its popular to get on the hate train. Its easy to hate, it takes work to look at a situation and analysis it.

I fully expect this post will get twisted around :P

• Like 2

Well, I spent all day at the airport trying to get to the show to support Coleco (they invited me), and I never made it due to weather. Mike is a good friend of mine, I stand by my friends in good and bad (you have to affect me personally in a negative way to lose that friendship which Mike has not done). I understand all this that is going on and see no need to provide opinions unless I know facts, I am not going to abandon a friend because its popular to get on the hate train. Its easy to hate, it takes work to look at a situation and analysis it.

No twisting around from my part, but as you say you know the team and Mike personally i hope you can shed some light on this whole issue an an altogether new light.

As things stand now there is an awful lot of questionmarks and not a lot of answers, especially considering that "everything will be cleared up" has been quite frequent in the communication from the RVGS guys for quite some time now. First it was at the IGG, then a proto by the end of 2015, then at the fair and now at the new KS due in 10 days.

That's Nintendo's intellectual property. Representing it as their own seems like business and legal suicide. I wonder if RVGS has checked with them? I haven't reviewed the available material to have an opinion either way, but it sounds like some of you guys might want to tip off the big N so this debacle can stop wasting everyone's time.

I think the patent on the SNES and SNES mini has expired, just can't use any Nintendo trademarks.

these guys have more of an R&D department than I do at work, and they deliver bullshit in a shell taped together last night?

Im not speculating, thats just utter fail, surprised people were not laughing in their face at their 4 hour shove and hack job

I have been keeping an open mind and wanting them to pull though, but yea, you dont go to a trade show with something a 8 year old would produce for a class assignment and expect people to take you seriously

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 6

I just logged in and have 175 notifications, all from this thread.

What's goin' on?

In a nutshell, the Chameleon "prototype" they demoed is naught but an SNES mini stuffed inside a Jag shell. When questioned, Mike was caught blatantly lying on Facebook claiming there is an FPGA inside the proto emulating SNES hardware.

I think the patent on the SNES and SNES mini has expired, just can't use any Nintendo trademarks.

For starters, the Mini PCB does have Nintendo's logo stamped on it. Secondly, clones exist and are a thing now, but they don't claim to be something they're not. Clones claim to play old games. That much is true. The clone makers aren't claiming to be some radical new hardware that will revolutionize the industry, but are merely a brand new replacement for old hard to find hardware.

• Like 1

Hey i just thought of something. Remember way back when they announced that they had a power adapter ready and FCC approved or something? Looking at the back end photo of the unit they seem to have dropped that as well and went for a cheapo 3-in-1 Radioshack adapter instead of their adapter which was so cool it had it's own video.

Was their power adapter a lie too? Guess it didn't work with a SNES..... :P

• Like 3

Woah. Mention triverse three times and he appears! You're like a Candyman or Beetlejuice or something.

I had decided before the closure of the large thread here on AA to sit back and watch. Since I like both Candyman and Beetlejuice, it was only fitting to wait till my name was said three times.

I have several more articles to make available but I am waiting, seeing what develops and making sure everything is factual and properly documented. As anyone reading my recent article can see, I tried to give this a positive spin. All I want is the truth in this. Why is it that hard to get?

I love the comments by people on Facebook asking for Mike and company to develop a new Super Monaco GP and bring back other arcade classics.

I have contacted Sega, Konami, Capcom, John Romero, Bandai Namco etc (all originally named by Mike as "working on games for this thing"). Only Konami stated anything was known on their end about this console and that it was not even at 10% of even being approved by the parent company in Japan, let alone being a done deal. Mike later revealed personal e-mails with the same point of contact I had with Konami (e-mails that specifically asked him to not discuss it publicly). Those e-mails only proved what I was saying- that there was no official deal between them and Mike's company. That is old news to anyone that has followed this thing (it is still available in the other thread as it is locked, no one can edit their comments).

What is new though are the people asking if the games listed on the IGG campaign page will be coming back. As of early December (I know, decades ago in gaming terms) I had finally heard from one of the last devs on their stance of working on games for the Chameleon. All said no. They either are not or were not contacted about working on games for the Chameleon.

No Double Fine- their PR rep could not find anyone internally that would own the hinting to Mike that Double Fine was working on games.

Watermelon games are not working on anything for the Chameleon either, they state this publicly on their website after I submitted a ticket asking (they are focusing on other more viable platforms).

NG:DEV Team stated on their Twitter account, in public, that they are not interested in the Chameleon and will not be supporting it in any way. That means no Gunlord or Last Hope or any of their other games (they are now apparently working on their own hardware).

No DOTEmu so no Double Dragon or Raiden or any other retro property they control

You get the picture.

I am not trying to rain on their parade but their inaction in letting those asking about this stuff just go on without a correction is a lie via omission. This is especially obvious when they are quick to either counter any negative comments that are allowed to stay or in how quick they delete any comment that does not toe the company line (or ban the person altogether like they have done me and several of my staff).

I tried to give Mike another chance with the Chameleon in my recent article. Much like the very first article I wrote though, the lies, misnomers and shady activity was not far behind. I write what I see and can prove, I can't help it if it does not make the Chameleon look good- that is Mike's job.

• Like 12

It's okay to have friends. It's okay to be Mike's friend. But to many of us here Mike is not a friend, he's just a guy trying to start a business and he wants the public's money to do it while he promises them the moon.

Your post is written as if there's a written rule that you must stand by a friend in any business move. That is not the case. I've had plenty of friends who wanted to get involved in dumb business schemes and I did not stand beside them. I once had a college friend who was sure he found a guaranteed way to beat the house in Las Vegas and of course I didn't support him. In fact- as his friend I felt the onus was on me to talk some sense into him and explained to him why it wouldn't work. I had to tell him the hard facts because no one else would and without it he was about to find himself in a bad situation. Because that's what a friend does, friends protect each other from harm when they see a bad situation like that coming up.

You know what Mike probably needs right now? A friend. A real friend who won't lead him down the wrong path because it's a fun ride. Do you think is healthy for him? Because from that first video he posted today it looks like he's about to stroke out. A friend should tell him "look Mike, you're putting yourself through a lot. You're having a hard time delivering on your promises and if you can't cross all your t's and dot all your i's by the 26th, then maybe you should shelve the idea for now."

• Like 9

Wow, I go away to watch a soccer match and a basketball game, and it did not take long for this to explode even further. Have we exceeded the number of pages of what have you played on your PS4, P3, Xbox, Wii U, etc. You know... stuff that actually exists?

I guess it is possible that Mike started out with good intentions, but even when done as just a hobby, this stuff isn't easy to do. Think of some of the legitimate projects around here that have been delayed or have taken longer. Life gets in the way, unexpected issue arise with the hardware where something has to be reworked, etc. I am not a hardware guy, but I am in research, and you can have a nice time table. Sometimes you can make that, and sometimes crap beyond your control causes delays. If you are just doing this as a hobby, there is some pressure off. If it were me personally, I would only think about turning it into a project of that scale if I had a working, viable prototype. Once you are appearing at Toy fairs, asking for money, etc, the heat is on.

Setting aside the sticky issue that may be an SNES junior or some clone stuffed into a Jag mold, it has been clear all along that he is in way over his head. It would not be implausible he has been in desperation mode for quite sometime. I questioned his mental health in the original thread, and someone pointed that out again today. Denial and desperation can make people do really stupid, stupid things. You think you are doing the right thing, but to the outside, it is just making things worse. It is not inconceivable that the negative attention is enabling. Some people feed off of any kind of attention, even if it is bad.

I find it hard to believe that someone would spend all of this energy to pull this crap to get a few bucks out of some people that are not aware of this stuff like we are and might be suckered in. I think mental states, denial, etc is more likely.

If he really did just stick an SNES jr board inside a Jag shell, that is crossing a line, yes. He might not see it that way of though if in his mind, that is kosher to get out of a corner or he actually wants the negative attention.

Don't know.. maybe I am just trying to make some sense out of something that makes no sense in the first place.... Unless something amazing happens in the positive direction, is there much more to say?

• Like 1