IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

That Official OUYA Kickstarter Video was posted on August 29, 2012, right in the glory days of Kickstarter.

I believe that the standards of proof have been raised since then, as many people have been disappointed by this and many other high-profile crowdfunding efforts. (I also think that demo loading screens they show are "close enough" to what I purchased, but I respect that you feel it's significantly different from your real-world performance)

I do not feel it is reasonable to hold Mike Kennedy to 2012 Kickstarter standards in 2016 (not that we ever saw his Kickstarter video).

Nor do I think it reasonable to expect 1992 console trends such as high-priced cartridges to be viable in 2016.

Also, the OUYA was a repackaging of existing mature technology. We all knew there was Android compatible hardware that could be connected to a TV and they were basically saying, "We're going to put this in a pretty box and support it." They didn't even need a prototype for software development. We really don't know what the Chameleon would have turned out to be so a prototype is appropriate.

• Like 7

Haven't seen anyone mention this podcast yet, but the newest episode of the Super Podcast Brothers talks about the history of the RetroVGS/Coleco project, from start to end, with some info that I didn't not know about from the early days. Warning, there's some adult language.

http://www.superpodcastbros.com/episode-33.html

• Like 1

Well, since it looks like this isn't gonna happen, anyone know any other ways to play retro games?

You have three excellent choices.

1- Get a PC or Raspberry Pi and stuff it with emulators.

2- Purchase original hardware, pre-owned of course.

3- Purchase a new console and play compilation packs.

I would be neglect in not mentioning compilation packs and neo-nuvo retro remakes on your smartphone. I personally hate this method.

Yeah that article is a joke, DLC's were common, buggy games, and Piracy was somewhat common even with carts in the 80's

I wrote: http://xpcoin.com/2016/03/10/retrovgs-coleco-chameleon-why-it-still-is-a-good-idea/

I grow up in the 80’s - 90’s I had access to most of the popular consoles/micros at the time.

DLC was either cheat codes or manually written programs from magazines or friends.

There’s more bugs in software now then back then (I’m a software programmer).

Automated testing wasn’t feasible on 80’s & 90’s hardware, and even still it’s next to IMPOSSIBLE to test every possible scenario.

Cartridges would have been tested to the best of the abilities of the developers, publishers and manufactures.

The copiers came later in the console’s life and they only existed because of the huge user base, this would have been very niche so nobody would manufacture a cartridge copier for a system which has small manufacturing runs?

I finally got the chance to listen to the interview with Eli of Piko Interactive. It was stranger than fiction. Many thanks to Eli for taking the time for the interview, it was very enlightening. It made me buy Jim Power on Steam that includes the DOS and SNES version (The Chameleon is not going to happen so I needed to go for the alternative :P ). I love the music of Chris Hülsbeck in the game. And I can extract the SNES rom to play on Kevtris system when it supports SNES games :D

Also many thanks to the "illustrious" Mr. Lee, without him this whole story was not possible. So thumbs up to Mr. Lee whoever he is a designer of Chinese bootleg game hardware in Shenzhen, Mike's little nephew from his mother's side acting as the hardware guy or Mike's ventriloquist dummy locked up in the goldeneye room :thumbsup:

Robert

• Like 9

I'm listening to them and they've done a really good job! He reads off early posts from the facebook page that have long since been deleted months ago so he seems to have been keeping up throughout the journey. His co-host doesn't seem to have, but I like how that lets him play the role of the everyman gamer who doesn't even know the connection between the RVGS and Chameleon but is passionate about the hobby and gets offended by the half-assed attempts to pull wool over our eyes.

Damn, we're getting a lot of good content produced way after everything should have settled down!

• Like 1

I'm listening to them and they've done a really good job! He reads off early posts from the facebook page that have long since been deleted months ago so he seems to have been keeping up throughout the journey. His co-host doesn't seem to have, but I like how that lets him play the role of the everyman gamer who doesn't even know the connection between the RVGS and Chameleon but is passionate about the hobby and gets offended by the half-assed attempts to pull wool over our eyes.

Damn, we're getting a lot of good content produced way after everything should have settled down!

Thank you, SD&R. That was one reason I really liked that episode and wanted to share it -- I didn't even know about those FB posts! :)

• Like 1

I wrote: http://xpcoin.com/2016/03/10/retrovgs-coleco-chameleon-why-it-still-is-a-good-idea/

I grow up in the 80’s - 90’s I had access to most of the popular consoles/micros at the time.

DLC was either cheat codes or manually written programs from magazines or friends.

There’s more bugs in software now then back then (I’m a software programmer).

Automated testing wasn’t feasible on 80’s & 90’s hardware, and even still it’s next to IMPOSSIBLE to test every possible scenario.

Cartridges would have been tested to the best of the abilities of the developers, publishers and manufactures.

The copiers came later in the console’s life and they only existed because of the huge user base, this would have been very niche so nobody would manufacture a cartridge copier for a system which has small manufacturing runs?

DLC's concept was pretty common from the 80's-90's as plenty of games were just a change of sprites of a another game or be the same general game but at a higher difficulty,

Especially PC games which would come with information for ordering the rest of the game.

Both Sega and Nintendo started downloading services that had Pure DLC's in the 80's

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 2

Not to DRAG THIS THREAD ON... but... I assume THIS , The Atari Vault, is what Mike was claiming he was going to get released by Atari for the imaginary box of nightmares he had brewing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/

Buy it from Direct2Drive/AtGames for the same $17 price and get a Steam key, in addition to 20 Intellivision and 40 Colecovision games. Hat tip to Bill L. for the tip. I didn't think this collection was coming until the summer. https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/download-atari-vault-bundle/5009805

• Like 1

Buy it from Direct2Drive/AtGames for the same $17 price and get a Steam key, in addition to 20 Intellivision and 40 Colecovision games. Hat tip to Bill L. for the tip. I didn't think this collection was coming until the summer. https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/download-atari-vault-bundle/5009805

Feh! Who would want that? Why would anyone pay for a mere 100 games with ONLINE leaderboards when you could get over three hundred games (twenty at a time) in physical cartridge form for an exponential cost??

Feh! Who would want that? Why would anyone pay for a mere 100 games with ONLINE leaderboards when you could get over three hundred games (twenty at a time) in physical cartridge form for an exponential cost??

There is online multi-player...if you can find someone to play against. I got in 3 games of Outlaw this morning, almost by chance as the matching system give you absolutely no information at all about how many people/what games people are playing. I never found anyone to play arcade Warlords, Street Racer or Home Run though.